Battle Zone
We think you should log in. Don't you?

This is the site for everything and anything you want to talk about. Want to discuss the latest games? Done. Want to have fun? Done. This is THE place to have a great time.

HomePortalFAQMemberlistRegisterLog in

Share | 

Temeraire 6 - Tongues of Serpents

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Matt
Ex Staff
Ex Staff

PostSubject: Temeraire 6 - Tongues of Serpents   Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:18 pm

Temeraire book 6 FanFiction!

Temeraire is a novel written by Naomi Novik, it is a Sci-Fi based book which takes place in the Napoleonic age.

I'm a little rusty...I haven't written anything since a few months so don't be surprised of a bad start!

Temeraire 1 - His Majesty's Dragons Summary

The dragon Temeraire is one of the series' central characters, as is his "aviator", Will Laurence, a former officer of the Royal Navy who had taken part in the capture of Temeraire's egg from a French ship while it was in transit to France. Temeraire is later discovered to be of a rare Chinese breed, and his capture by the British is considered a great coup.
Through the course of the book, Captain Laurence adjusts to his new role as an aviator, rather than a naval officer. Through him we learn how dragons are bred, raised, trained, and harnessed in combat. We are also introduced to the society of the aviators, a branch of the military trained to fight while mounted on dragons.
The training of Temeraire and Laurence is rushed so that their unit can assist the navy in preventing a French invasion while the veteran dragon units are sent to assist in the Battle of Trafalgar. Accordingly, the British win that engagement, although Horatio Nelson survives, one of the deviations from our history the series takes. Rather than a tactical blunder, Trafalgar turns out to be a Napoleonic ploy to leave Britain vulnerable to the world's first aerial assault.

Temeraire 2 - Throne of Jade Summary

After defeating Napoleon's forces at the battle of Dover, Laurence and Temeraire are confronted by envoys from Imperial China. The Chinese are eager to get their rare Celestial dragon back from the British. It is discovered that Temeraire was a gift from the Jiaqing Emperor to Napoleon, Emperor of the French. As a mere commoner, it is the position of the Chinese that Laurence is not worthy of Temeraire.
After several attempts to convince Laurence and the Royal Aerial Corps to return Temeraire to China fail, the Chinese and the British agree to have Temeraire and his flight crew — including Laurence — accompany the Imperial envoys back to China. As the land routes are deemed unsafe, the Navy has a dragon transport ferry the Celestial and his crew on a voyage to China. During the voyage, attempts are made on the life of Laurence in order to remove him from Temeraire. In addition, political machinations on the part of the British, French, and Chinese are discovered that threaten the position of Britain in the East, as well as the stability of the Chinese throne.
After their arrival in China, more direct attempts are made on Laurence's life, including a confrontation with the brother of the Emperor and a Celestial dragon that is Temeraire's cousin, Lien. Following these events, in a move to resolve the issues with Laurence's social status, as well as easing relations with Britain, the emperor of China himself adopts the Captain into his family.

Temeraire 3 - Black Power War Summary

In Black Powder War, Captain William Laurence and Temeraire - along with the surviving members of their crew - are ordered to make all haste and return from the mission to China to Istanbul. There, they are to pick up a collection of three dragon eggs purchased by the British Government.
Led by a guide named Tharkay, the group survives ambush in the Central Asian deserts, befriends a pack of feral dragons in the mountains of Turkestan, and makes its way to Istanbul. Once there they face betrayal and must risk their lives to bring their precious cargo back to the British Isles. Between Istanbul and Britain, however, lies the Grande Armee of Napoleon who has allied with Lien (the albino Celestial dragon) and is on the march to conquer Prussia. Surrounded by enemies, betrayed by allies, the journey is bound with action and despair, hope and anguish.

Temeraire 4 - Empire of Ivory Summary

Laurence and Temeraire arrive back in Britain, following their evacuation of Danzig in Black Powder War. Their relief at arriving safely is short-lived as Napoleon continues his preparations for an invasion of the British Isles, while a flu-like epidemic continues to decimate the British dragons.
Temeraire and Laurence continue to develop their notions of draconic equality in British society and throw their support to the abolitionist movement in exchange for assistance from prominent political leaders. Before they can continue their plans, they are enlisted to return to Africa to seek a cure for the draconic flu and accompany the rest of their formation to the Cape Colony along with a missionary family. During their trials and efforts at finding more of the cure, Laurence and Temeraire discover hidden plans that will spell doom for the British colony.

Temeraire 5 - Victory of Eagles Summary

The novel's plot revolves around an invasion of Great Britain by Napoleon Bonaparte. Temeraire, at first believing his Captain, Will Laurence, to be dead, rouses the dragons of the breeding ground of Pen Y Fan in Wales (to which he has been confined) and turns them into a considerable force. Napoleon lands his men, defeating the Royal Navy with the aid of his "Armée d'Air", and routs the British who retreat to Scotland. Bonaparte then sets about consolidating his position in London as the British fall back. Temeraire and Laurence are subsequently reunited, though Temeraire remains in command of his motley band of dragons, receiving a commission as Colonel. Temeraire advances his notions of draconic equality to Wellesley, who promise more coverts and that the dragons might be paid directly the cost of their upkeep (around 400 pounds) to spend as they will.
After helping the British Army in its withdrawal, Laurence and Temeraire lead a party of ten hand-picked dragons on a series of uncompromising attacks upon French raiding parties, with the intent of starving them out and bringing them to battle. Though the group meet with much success, and the people of Britain seem to become more accustomed to dragons, Laurence is unable to continue his orders, and communicates this to Wellesley.
However, this acts as a spur and the British Army is redeployed out to the east coast where, employing what appears to be a questionable strategy, Wellesley offers Napoleon the battle he knows he cannot resist. Battle is joined and, just as things appear to be going in Bonaparte's favour, Nelson arrives with a considerable fleet and inflicts terrible damage. In the resultant confusion Lien is able to destroy the fleet with the Divine Wind, but this only serves to buy time for Napoleon to retreat, utterly defeated.
In the aftermath of the battle it would appear that things may change for the better for the British dragons, using treasure won on the field they are funding the construction of their own pavilions, though Wellesley (now Wellington) argues that they cannot be paid immediately. Laurence's sentence to hang is commmuted to Transportation to the New South Wales Colony (in Australia), and the novel ends as the two (accompanied by the irrepressible Iskierka, who demands an egg from Temeraire) are on board the Alliegance, to await their new fate.

Table of Content

Prologue (below)
Chapter 1: Australia (Page 1)
Chapter 2: Experience (Page 1)

Prologue

“I wonder if it really was a good idea to send him to Australia...What if that white Celestial comes back?” a lord said.

Admiral Roland and five lords were sitting in a small room at the Dover base. This room would've been perfect to hide something or to have a private conversation. The door was resistant enough to turn down a dragon unwilling to use his muscles and the lock was made of steel. There were seven chairs inside the room and hardly anything decorative or pretty.

“We could probably scare her away with a Regal Copper and a Longwing” another lord responded with a fierce look to the other lords.

Roland remained silent, she did not really believe that Laurence would remain quiet in Australia. After all, he was just arriving from Africa that he was already betraying England for France! She, of course, approved his move but couldn't say it out loud without risking her life. “A Celestial can only be repelled by one of his own race” Jane Roland said, “You saw what she did...That gigantic wave that brought Nelson in the void..” All the lords looked at each other with sadness, Nelson was the best leader England had ever known. Although, all silences must be broken.

“How could YOU know? You are a...” he didn't have time to finish as Roland cut him off.

“Enough of this! Yeah! I'm a woman! So what?! I know more about dragons than all of you..” anyone could guess what she was about to say but she bit her tongue to prevent it.

“Ehem...” the voice came from outside. Everyone, even Roland, had surprised looks. They had asked not to be bothered except for events of extreme importance.

It was Roland whom broke the silence “Come in..” she said, low.

“I can't...My head would get stuck” the voice responded. All the lords looked at each other in confusion, they had no idea of what could be behind the door. Roland already knew has she was an Admiral in the dragon community as well as in human's. She got up and was soon imitated by all the lords, she left the room..

Outside was a green dragon of an unknown race to her “Well...This is an unusual Winchester...” a lord said. The sun was setting behind the dragon leaving a beautiful aura of pink and green.(The light reflected on the dragon)

Keynes, the dragon surgeon was inspecting it to make sure it wasn't wounded “It's a Chinese dragon you nincompoop!” he said to the lord who appeared startled at being talked like that but...Keynes had never held back a single comment, even to Laurence “For an unknown reason...He learned English” he finished and left, apparently satisfied of the dragon's condition.

“It is a lot colder here than in China...” the dragon said without really complaining. It shivered a little and yawned. They were all surprised, it was the first time ever that a Chinese dragon stepped on British lands.

“Who sent you?” Roland asked.

“The emperor himself” it responded proudly, it appeared to be a great honor “Where is prince Laurence? I have a very important message for him”.

All the lords had different looks, one looked sad, one looked worried and one even went to shiver a little “Uh..” one said, “Ehh...” another said.

“Do you have a companion?” Roland asked the dragon.

“I don't..” it responded, “You see, in China, dragons are free to do what they want, when they want” it said proudly.

The lords were speechless, they hadn't thought that making Laurence their prisoner would mean a war with China. Every single citizen of England knew that they didn't stand a chance against China and it's 2000 (or more) fighting-trained dragons and 5000 (or more) Scholar-trained dragons. It was mid autumn so the sun set early and the cold was becoming unbearable. They all went inside the base as the dragon was sent to Temeraire's “house” as he said it. Roland had known this was going to happen but no one listened to her because she was a lady. Ladies were only accepted in the Aerial Corps because of the Longwings which are acid-spitters and an essential part of the British Army. (Longwings only accepted female companions)

============

Phew...Here it is...I'm almost done the first chapter so...Be ready! Lmao I just need to type it...But I get lazy XD

Matt

Last edited by Matt on Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:05 pm; edited 5 times in total (Reason for editing : OMG)
Back to top Go down
http://www.Battlezone.forumotion.net
BlackAngel
Fighter
Fighter

PostSubject: Re: Temeraire 6 - Tongues of Serpents   Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:04 pm

Nice, Mawt!!! Razz (EDIT by Matt) Mawt is Hawt XD

I like it more than the last 'real' book I read.

The characters are displayed quite good Smile
This "Oh no!! Probably we have to fight China!!" - idea is great!!

By readig this, I believe that I skipped a book...the last thing I remember is, that Laurence should go to Brazile (or somewhere around there).
Thus (and for all the people that haven't read the series) it would be nice, if you could make a summary of the previous happenings :D , please :D

-BA-
Back to top Go down
Matt
Ex Staff
Ex Staff

PostSubject: Re: Temeraire 6 - Tongues of Serpents   Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:37 pm

I could do that...I'll try to find one on Internet, if not, then I'll just make one.

Thanks Klaws! Razz

Matt
Back to top Go down
Matt
Ex Staff
Ex Staff

PostSubject: Re: Temeraire 6 - Tongues of Serpents   Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:51 pm

Chapter 1: Australia

Laurence entered his house as the sun set behind him leaving an aura of pink and orange in the house. He was surprised, the aura made the inside of the house look so pretty...He felt as if he was dreaming and standing. His wonders didn't last long as a cloud passed in front of the sun exposing the real house to him.

Spider webs were hanging from the ceiling as he looked at everything in despair. He noticed that the house was entirely made out of wood and that termites had started to eat a door. He thought about Grandy and how he would have a better house considering that he didn't betray England...All the lords were furious at Laurence, the only ones that understood him were the Admirals and Captains from the Aerial Corps, but they were too scared to start a mutiny and make Laurence come back.

Laurence was wearing a dirty shirt which was full of holes, he didn't care about his appearance...Since he had joined the Corps, his habits of always being clean had been taken away. He remembered his last talk with Jane as he sat with a bowl of soup in his hands. Her warm smiles and stares came to him with incredible realism. He almost felt her warm kisses hit his cheek. Her stare would always pierce his own and her smile was probably the best thing about her...He gave out a sight.

“Laurence?!” the voice was followed by a strong knock at the door. He was about to go answer as he heard Temeraire get up from their backyard. He decided to let the Celestial deal with it for once.

“Go away...Laurence needs some rest” he heard.

“We ha-have be-been se-sent to ma-make sure that he do-doesn't le-leave” the man responded with a very insecure tone.

“Laurence will not leave!” he heard Temeraire roar “I'm REALLY getting tired of everyone thinking that Laurence is bad” he finished with an annoyed tone. Laurence felt the ground shake and guessed that Temeraire was waking his tail on the ground from impatience “Leave, and tell the governor not to send anyone else” he finished.

Then, nothing. The soldiers were gone.

Laurence got up from his chair and walked to the main room where it was a little cleaner then the downstairs area. He jumped in his bed and rested his head on a not-so-comfy pillow. He thought about Temeraire for a moment and stumbled into his waking dreams.

Dear Jane,

We have arrived in Australia and have yet to discover its wonders. No, we have not caused too much trouble yet...Some guards had been posted to guard our new house, Temeraire sent them away of course. He is quite angry at the British government now that I am a prisoner, I am trying to get him to fight again if we are freed but I do not think he will. And then there is Iskierka whom keeps pestling Temeraire for him to give her an egg...She's set on it having the Divine Wind and Fire. Granby does not like Iskierka disobeying orders but he can't stop her, she does anything she wants when she wants. I'll see if Temeraire could knock some reason into her. Oh, and ask the government to re-engage Ferris in the Corps...Tell them that I will leave Australia and rally France if they don't do it. I do not want him suffering for my mistakes. Could you take him as a Lieutenant until I get back? Thank you.

Laurence

Laurence took the paper, rolled it and tied it with a string. He handed it over to the green courier and left.

===============================

Yeah! It's short! Congratz for noticing!

Matt

Last edited by Matt on Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
BlackAngel
Fighter
Fighter

PostSubject: Re: Temeraire 6 - Tongues of Serpents   Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:09 pm

Nice!! Smile

I totally forgot about Iskierka...lol...but she's right, a dragon with the divine wind and fire would be awesome!!!

Hmm..there isn't much to say, 'cause as you said, it's short...

-BA-
Back to top Go down
Firesword assassin
Ice Breaker

PostSubject: Re: Temeraire 6 - Tongues of Serpents   Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:35 pm

Its good Matt- I like it. The characters are really good. Keep it up.

FA
Back to top Go down
Matt
Ex Staff
Ex Staff

PostSubject: Re: Temeraire 6 - Tongues of Serpents   Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:03 pm

Chapter 2: Experience

“Hello Granby..” Laurence said after opening the door to his former first lieutenant. The sun was setting in the sky as Granby entered the house.

“Laurence...” Granby started with a scared voice “I think Iskierka will try something tonight..”

“Will try something about what?” Laurence responded. He already knew the answer but he thought it would be good to hide it. Laurence was not really dressed up properly as he was not expecting a guest. Granby did not seem ready either.

“Well...That obsession of hers...” Granby said “With the Divine Wind and Fire...I'm afraid Temeraire would hurt her..” he finished with a depressed and cold voice.

“I'm sure Temeraire would know better then hurt her...Maybe startle her but not hurt” he said, firmly. Laurence went to sit on a chair near the table as did Granby.

“I'm sure he won't..” Granby said with an uncertain voice. By then, the outside was completely black which made Temeraire invisible and Iskierka even more noticeable. They were both in Laurence's backyard, they were conversing if you payed attention to Iskierka's movements.

“Temeraire is old now...He would not let himself do something like that” Laurence said to persuade Granby.

“I'm...Not sure that..” he said in vain.

“If it could convince you, we could go out and join them” Laurence said. Granby quickly got up and rushed to the back door.

“not that one, the termites practically destroyed it” Granby looked at him with a confused look then turned around and went to open the front door.

A gentle breeze was pushing the grass and trees to the east. As the last little light of the sun disappeared, Granby lit a lantern and started walking. The backyard wasn't really impressive, it was just vast. A large plain which was originally meant for organic farming, but Laurence had better things to do then just sit there and wait for carrots to grow. He decided to make it Temeraire's habitat and was planning on constructing a pavilion there.

Then, the worst happened. A gigantic fireball erupted from the center of the center of the plain. They sensed the eat from where they were which was a half a mile across. They started running towards the fireball.

“Iskierka!” Granby shouted. She didn't seem to pay attention to him.

“Not bad...It is only foolish of you to have challenged me at night...” Laurence heard and recognized the voice as Temeraire's. His heart started to beat faster, Temeraire had never backed down from a challenge.

Temeraire's experience was paying off. He knew exactly what to do and how to do it without hurting Iskierka. Laurence heard Temeraire take off. A second later, he was attacking her from above, his wings made an unusual sound. Iskierka had the worst reactions of dragon history, her first reflex was to drop like a rock, even though she was already on the ground. So she did and stayed in the same position for minutes. Temeraire landed near her abd put a claw under her neck “Give up hatchling” he said.

Iskierka shook her head and realized what had happened “What?!” she said.

“From now on, you will obey all of Granby's orders” Temeraire said.

“No! I'm better than you!” she said.

“You will also shut up and listen while your elders talk” he said.

Iskierka lied down and put her paws in front of her eyes, has to cry. Temeraire approached Laurence and Granby whom both looked startled.

“She challenged me” Temeraire said, “The one whom lost had to do everything the other wants for one request...I really don't know why she did it...It's not like she had any chances of winning” he finished.

Laurence knew why but again, preferred not to talk “She won't be causing you any more trouble Granby” Temeraire said. They looked at Iskierka whom was still sobbing on the ground. She had a few minor injuries because Temeraire went easy on her...Himself didn't even have a scratch.

“You didn't really think you could defeat Temeraire did you?” Granby asked Iskierka once they had gained their house.

“I thought I could use fire to my advantage...It appears he is too smart” she responded. They were still walking towards their house but it was close by by that time. They could hardly see a thing.

“Why in the name of God did you challenge him anyways!?” Granby said nearly yelling.

If dragons could blush she probably would have by this time “I thought that...If I won...I could force him to give me an egg...” she said.

“Not this damned egg again!” Granby said, “Temeraire has had a very difficult past, Iskierka...” he finished.

“Tell me about it then, I have all my time” she responded.

“Temeraire...Was born at see, then some Chinese people tried to take Temeraire to China, Laurence didn't give up and managed to keep him. Then came Lien, a white Celestial whom wants Temeraire's life miserable...And last but definitely not the least, the British government is trying to hang Laurence” he finally finished.

Iskierka left without a word towards Granby's plain and rested her head on the cold and hard ground.

============

Here it is!! It's short again because I don't have a lot of time to write it.

Matt
Back to top Go down
Firesword assassin
Ice Breaker

PostSubject: Re: Temeraire 6 - Tongues of Serpents   Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:56 pm

Another good chapter. A couple of grammar errors but overall its quite good.

FA

BlackAngel
Fighter
Fighter

PostSubject: Re: Temeraire 6 - Tongues of Serpents   Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:14 pm

Whoops...seems that I am late ;)

Anyway, the chapter is good cheers

Iskierka is such a dumbnut...daring to challenge Temeraire (and believing she could be able to win... Rolling Eyes )
I wonder what she's going to do later...

-BA-
Back to top Go down
Matt
Ex Staff
Ex Staff

PostSubject: Re: Temeraire 6 - Tongues of Serpents   Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:52 pm

I'm stopping this story here...I'm not inspired by Temeraire anymore as I have to be inspired to write...I'm currently inspired by the Avatar movie and I'll probably write a sequel.

Matt
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Temeraire 6 - Tongues of Serpents   

Back to top Go down

Temeraire 6 - Tongues of Serpents

View previous topic View next topic Back to top