Battle Zone
We think you should log in. Don't you?

This is the site for everything and anything you want to talk about. Want to discuss the latest games? Done. Want to have fun? Done. This is THE place to have a great time.

HomePortalFAQMemberlistRegisterLog in

Share | 

Ask a Non-Religious

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Matt
Ex Staff
Ex Staff

PostSubject: Ask a Non-Religious   Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:47 pm

Yeah, ask me about it...I'm Non-Religious and I like to prove things using science.

Matt
Back to top Go down
http://www.Battlezone.forumotion.net
Feral
Programmer
Programmer

PostSubject: Re: Ask a Non-Religious   Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:15 am

an you put a little more description into this? like ask you about what? about things people believe as miracles,? or something else?
Back to top Go down
Artrain
Eternally lazy

PostSubject: Re: Ask a Non-Religious   Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:24 am

Bleh, this is basically a thread for us Atheists to having a place of our own and nothing else. I was going to put it up myself. Otherwise some of our counterparts get really ugly by thrashing others' beliefs in their threads...

Ex Staff
Ex Staff

PostSubject: Re: Ask a Non-Religious   Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:05 am

Yeah, this is for scientific people...As in people that believe in science and not god...Like me Smile

You can ask about anything really...Like...

Q: Well is god isn't there...Then what created the univers?
A: The Big Bang.
Back to top Go down
Feral
Programmer
Programmer

PostSubject: Re: Ask a Non-Religious   Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:14 am

right, okay.

like this...

how can they prove that the big bang actually happened?
Back to top Go down
Artrain
Eternally lazy

PostSubject: Re: Ask a Non-Religious   Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:38 am

I'm sure you can find some real good sites where scientists prove it to you in words you won't understand. I'll tell you the simple reason. All the stars and galaxies are moving away from each other at extremely high speeds (like a ripple of water when a stone is dropped in it), but the speed too is eventually getting slower and slower as millions of years pass by. It follows the fact that at some point they must have all been together and must have constituted into being a single enormous body. This follows the fact that there must have been an explosion that caused the parts of the original big star to be thrown out away from each other and form galaxies and stars we have today. I cannot even imagine how big that body must have been...

Ex Staff
Ex Staff

PostSubject: Re: Ask a Non-Religious   Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:34 am

Me neither...It's nearly impossible when you think about it Razz

I mean...A body that big...

Matt
Back to top Go down
Feral
Programmer
Programmer

PostSubject: Re: Ask a Non-Religious   Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:10 am

Hmm,

what then, made all these stars and galaxies?
Back to top Go down
Artrain
Eternally lazy

PostSubject: Re: Ask a Non-Religious   Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:14 am

Like I said, there was this original super celestial, unimaginably huge body that exploded, and the parts of that explosion formed stars and galaxies and planets...

Programmer
Programmer

PostSubject: Re: Ask a Non-Religious   Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:31 am

wait up, worded it wrong...

where did that celestial body come from?
Back to top Go down
Artrain
Eternally lazy

PostSubject: Re: Ask a Non-Religious   Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:36 am

Now that I have no knowledge of. Even if I did, you ask me what created the thing that created the celestial body, and it would go on and on and I would eventually have no answer. Even the scientists would not have answer on that one. Our science is limited to what we can observe, experiment, theorize, calculate and study. I'm sure there must be lot of theories made by lot of scientists on how the first matter came into existence. I have yet to read any of those, but I believe that at some point, something must have been created from nothing, if you get what I mean...

Programmer
Programmer

PostSubject: Re: Ask a Non-Religious   Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:40 am

so in other words you do not know?

and this can go on and on and on, but one thing will remain; who made all these things that you think made other things?

very simply fraised question, though I don't think scientists have the answer, nor ever will.
Back to top Go down
Artrain
Eternally lazy

PostSubject: Re: Ask a Non-Religious   Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:44 am

Well if you ask my personal belief, I believe that the universe is a perfect cycle. There is no waste. Everything gets converted into other thing. So I think the first celestial matter must have appeared from nothing, and one day, after billions and billions of gazillion years, the universe will again become nothing...

Programmer
Programmer

PostSubject: Re: Ask a Non-Religious   Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:51 am

yes, yes, yes,

but what made these things inside the cycle?

what began this cycle?

what made this cycle?

and off topic, is this challenging your beliefs in any way??
Back to top Go down
Artrain
Eternally lazy

PostSubject: Re: Ask a Non-Religious   Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:53 am

No its not challenging my beliefs at all. I'm just stating them to you. I don't know what made this cycle. I can only think it began from nothing. You can't ask me what created nothing now can you...;)

Programmer
Programmer

PostSubject: Re: Ask a Non-Religious   Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:57 am

actually, I can....
*innocent face*

artrain, what created nothing?
Back to top Go down
Artrain
Eternally lazy

PostSubject: Re: Ask a Non-Religious   Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:02 am

*sighs* I do not know. This is what principally separates Atheists from other religious folk. They accept the fact that their knowledge is not complete and don't make fanciful ideas about some super being creating the world (no offense of course), because they know they can ask the same question to the religious people and the religious people will be just as clueless as to what created their first 'god'...

Programmer
Programmer

PostSubject: Re: Ask a Non-Religious   Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:43 am

orthodoxy people believe that that being was always there, time, space, and nothing began and were created by him. he was always there, he created EVERYTHING. other religions believe in other things, but I don'y know much...

so, as this topic leads nowhere, only to questions and arguments that will soon become insulting, I think we should move on.
Back to top Go down
Artrain
Eternally lazy

PostSubject: Re: Ask a Non-Religious   Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:54 am

It is rather convenient to think that the being was always there. Anyway, if you have no further questions, so be it...

Programmer
Programmer

PostSubject: Re: Ask a Non-Religious   Tue May 04, 2010 8:07 pm

But isn't what you are saying a religion I mean it really is not science if you cannot prove something meaning it is just a religion without a God. I cannot prove that my God exists but Evolutionists cannot prove Evolution happened. Infact if the big bang all started from everything being sucked together and then spun faster and faster until it exploded everything would be spinning the same way. Now if that happened why do some of the planets and moons spin backwards from ours, that defies the Law of Angular Momentum?
Back to top Go down
Artrain
Eternally lazy

PostSubject: Re: Ask a Non-Religious   Wed May 05, 2010 7:29 am

terry brooks fan wrote:
But isn't what you are saying a religion
Call it what you want. The point is, I do not believe in any god.

terry brooks fan wrote:

I mean it really is not science if you cannot prove something meaning it is just a religion without a God.
Science does not matter to me. It is just a name given to our studies and knowledge about things. What matters is the truth. The truth is that I do not know what happened before the big bang.

terry brooks fan wrote:

I cannot prove that my God exists but Evolutionists cannot prove Evolution happened.
Sure they can. Crocodiles are the best examples of evolution. Really, you don't even need crocs. You need to looks at yourself. Humans. Haven't we evolved? Course we have.

terry brooks fan wrote:

Infact if the big bang all started from everything being sucked together and then spun faster and faster until it exploded everything would be spinning the same way. Now if that happened why do some of the planets and moons spin backwards from ours, that defies the Law of Angular Momentum?
I don't think anything was sucked or spun. It was just one colossal body that exploded. Something like a explosion of a star.
Defies law of angular momentum? Really? I think they'd have figured it out by now. Even if they haven't figured it out, the reason for that would simply be lack of information. You cannot expect some geeks living on some part of the Earth to have detailed information about what happened to a planet which is 38-261 million kilometers away from where they're sitting some four and a half billion years ago...

Programmer
Programmer

PostSubject: Re: Ask a Non-Religious   Wed May 05, 2010 6:27 pm

Actually they can't prove Evolution, scientists have never found lets say for example a half dog half whatever, they have only found the dog fully formed not in any form of change, now tell me why they have never found something in between, why is there only the dog and then some totally different ancestor that they say it came from why is there nothing in between? Please do not give examples like "Lucy" or "Neanderthal man" they are proven false.
And also here is another question. Why is there nothing evolving right now? Why did all of this supposed "Evolution" happen in the past but is nonexistent now?
And here is another. Why is there only a little dust on the moon why is there not many feet as there should be if the earth was millions of years old.
Back to top Go down
Artrain
Eternally lazy

PostSubject: Re: Ask a Non-Religious   Thu May 06, 2010 4:48 am

terry brooks fan wrote:
Actually they can't prove Evolution, scientists have never found lets say for example a half dog half whatever, they have only found the dog fully formed not in any form of change, now tell me why they have never found something in between, why is there only the dog and then some totally different ancestor that they say it came from why is there nothing in between? Please do not give examples like "Lucy" or "Neanderthal man" they are proven false.

*laughs* Half dog, half whatever? Evolution is not hybridization. It is constant and continues change that life forms have to undertake in order to survive in the constantly changing environment. It happens through millions of years. Neanderthal man proven false? What do you mean? How can skeletons that we've excavated be false? They are a member of Homo Sapiens family. What shows the evolution in humans is the changes that have been occurring in the skeletons since past tens of thousands of years due to changes in conditions.

About the dog thingy, they are supposed to have been evolved from wolves after we humans started domesticating them some twenty thousand years ago or so.

terry brooks fan wrote:

And also here is another question. Why is there nothing evolving right now? Why did all of this supposed "Evolution" happen in the past but is nonexistent now?
Hmm? Who says its not existent now? Its going on as we speak. It doesn't happen like they show on pokemon where the thing evolves in a space of seconds, it takes a millions of years. If you want to see it happen, you have to live a millions of years.

See evolution is basically the result of selection of mates between species. The one who is best suited gets the most number of chances to pass on his genes and create the next generation. Hence, the next generation is always better equipped to some degree than the first to handle the situations and conditions that exist in their time. The more drastic versions of evolution (like the one you mention with half dog, half something else) will only come into picture if something drastic was to happen. Say for example the landmass got sunk under the sea. Then naturally for the dogs to survive, they'd need to be good swimmers and they would need the ability to hunt under water, but that won't be possible with all of them. Very few will be able to adapt themselves to it. Only those who do manage that will prove themselves as fit to father the next generation of dogs, which will have an in built affinity for water in them because it was in their parent's gene.

You say we cannot find the missing links between the evolutions? Maybe not all of them, but then again when we compare the DNA of ourselves and other species, we always find many similarities in them.

terry brooks fan wrote:

And here is another. Why is there only a little dust on the moon why is there not many feet as there should be if the earth was millions of years old.
Thats seems to be a wrong data. The rate of particle influx on moon is supposed to be one twentieth to that on Earth, or one hundredth to what was earlier thought. It was laid to rest in 1993 supposedly. Anyways, we have better means to calculate actual life than from meteorite dust collection I think. In fact when they tested the influx on Earth itself they got about 100 tons per year in some parts and 1 billion tons in other parts, and all that was done decades ago. The figure of 14,300,000 tons was published in 1960, and that was what gave the 'creationists' a basis for their argument. Safe to say that we have more accurate means of measurement now and it doesn't seem to be a cause for speculation anymore.

Anyways, I read the whole story and I found it amusing that the 'Creationist' had to use science as a tool to base their theory on. The same science which they apparently disapprove of...

Fighter
Fighter

PostSubject: Re: Ask a Non-Religious   Thu May 06, 2010 5:04 am

High five! Another non-religious person here. Though I might have have sold my soul to the flying spaghetti monster Drool

But I don't exactly get the point of this thread, except how we stumbled into atheism.
Back to top Go down
Artrain
Eternally lazy

PostSubject: Re: Ask a Non-Religious   Thu May 06, 2010 6:31 am

Well the point of this thread, as you can see, is simply to allow others to question our beliefs really...

PostSubject: Re: Ask a Non-Religious   

Back to top Go down

Ask a Non-Religious

View previous topic View next topic Back to top