Battle Zone
We think you should log in. Don't you?

This is the site for everything and anything you want to talk about. Want to discuss the latest games? Done. Want to have fun? Done. This is THE place to have a great time.

HomePortalFAQMemberlistRegisterLog in

Share | 

300 Spartans

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Matt
Ex Staff
Ex Staff

PostSubject: 300 Spartans   Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:59 pm

After the spy told the Persians of the goat path, king Leonidas and his brave 300 Spartans take him on...They kill like 3000 man to themselves Lol...

Persians weren't so though after all :D Here's the thread to discuss it.

Matt
Back to top Go down
http://www.Battlezone.forumotion.net
Artrain
Eternally lazy

PostSubject: Re: 300 Spartans   Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:41 am

Yes they did. I do not think there's anything unbelievable in that. Spartans really were the best warriors, taught to do nothing but fight. What made them even more formidable was that they worked as a complete unit, so even if it is quite possible that some of the Persians were just as good warriors as the Spartans, individually their prowess in battle was useless against the single acting entity of Spartan soldiers.

I think if Xerxes had brought a few of his best warriors together, and would have actually planned an attack considering the information that the spy told him, he would have been much more effective. Instead, he made he same mistake that Agamemnon did while facing Troy. He relied on the sheer strength of numbers to win the battle for them, which they eventually did, but at a ridiculously low efficiency.

Talking about other points, what I thought was really inappropriate in the movie was that the Spartan king was shown giving gold to the Oracles. All kinds of luxuries such as fine food and clothes were forbidden is Sparta. No one was rich (I do not think there was anything like a council that is shown in the movie). In fact it was against the law for Spartans to own gold or silver. Over there everyone lived a hard life with minimum amount of resources...

Ex Staff
Ex Staff

PostSubject: Re: 300 Spartans   Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:20 am

Well, before he started walking through the Goat Path, he had sent 8000 Immortals (his best warriors) attack the full Spartan army so...He didn't have any of those left Razz It doesn't say in the movie I think...King Leonidas was really brave...But legend says that he was referring to an oracle's prophecy...He also wanted the other men to make it to Sparta but the real purpose was the Oracle...She said something like: In the war with the Persians, a great king will die for his friends.

It might have been different but it's still the oracle that said it...

Matt
Back to top Go down
Artrain
Eternally lazy

PostSubject: Re: 300 Spartans   Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:00 am

Say what? There really was a King Leonaidas then? I thought those guys had just made up the scenario. What does the legend say exactly? Is it the same story as the movie?

Ex Staff
Ex Staff

PostSubject: Re: 300 Spartans   Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:59 am

King Leonidas was real...The 300 brave were too...The legend says that Leonidas was acting for a prophecy, a prophecy made by a Spartan Oracle.
Back to top Go down
Artrain
Eternally lazy

PostSubject: Re: 300 Spartans   Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:47 am

I see. So he knew he was going to die, but went anyways. And what does the legend say about why the full army wasn't sent?

Ex Staff
Ex Staff

PostSubject: Re: 300 Spartans   Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:57 am

He wanted the rest of the soldiers to get home to their family to prepare the Spartan last stand...That doesn't really make sense but I think he wanted to die 'cause of the oracle.

Matt
Back to top Go down
Artrain
Eternally lazy

PostSubject: Re: 300 Spartans   Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:06 pm

Aah, that definitely helps. I think he was stalling and knew that with the geographical conditions of the place, a few soldiers would be capable of holding out a massive army because the terrain totally negated the advantage of numbers. I the mean time it would be possible for the Spartan army to amass itself and prepare for battle. It does make sense in a way. I suppose when the Persians came, the Spartans were not ready, so the Leonidas gambled with the decision of taking 300. The legend certainly seems interesting...

Ex Staff
Ex Staff

PostSubject: Re: 300 Spartans   Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:18 pm

Yeah...I guess it is. I think he used the same strategy he used in thermapolie when it was 7000 Greeks against 2 million Persians...The Greenks won 'cause of the geographical emplacement, the neglected the number, all they needed was physical strength.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 300 Spartans   

Back to top Go down

300 Spartans

View previous topic View next topic Back to top