Battle Zone
We think you should log in. Don't you?

This is the site for everything and anything you want to talk about. Want to discuss the latest games? Done. Want to have fun? Done. This is THE place to have a great time.

HomePortalFAQMemberlistRegisterLog in

Share | 

Apostasy, good or bad?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Old Amsterdam
Bow Before Thy Master
Bow Before Thy Master

PostSubject: Apostasy, good or bad?   Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:13 am

Quote :
Apostasy-
a total desertion of or departure from one's religion, principles, party, cause, etc.

For those of you that this applies to, why did you do it? What do you think about other religions?

For the rest of you, what do you think about Apostasy? Question
Back to top Go down
http://battlezone.forumotion.net/
Mozzie
OHNOES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostSubject: Re: Apostasy, good or bad?   Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:41 am

I agree about apostasy, mainly because there are always explanation about everything. Sometimes, people just don't understand them. Besides, we are just human and we are still searching for answers. And don't forget that we have the right to choose what to believe and how we deal with our lives. Although, I am not saying I will just move and abandon my beliefs. I really find it hard. I really do. Perhaps it is because once I committed myself to something, I will do my best to please it/them. So, you can tell I am very faithful or loyal.
Back to top Go down
http://www.wkyc.com/weather/severe_weather/cancellations_closing
Old Amsterdam
Bow Before Thy Master
Bow Before Thy Master

PostSubject: Re: Apostasy, good or bad?   Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:59 am

I'm not quite as big about Apostasy. It seems kind of "under the belt" in a way. I don't have anything against it, but to abandon your belief 100% just doesn't seem right to me. I mean, I can't say you shouldn't change/switch/modify your belief, but from what I've heard, it seems like Apostasy is a bit extreme. I mean, I went from Christian to Agnostic, but I still carry a bit of the Christian belief with me, just differently when looking at it.

Back to top Go down
Artrain
Eternally lazy

PostSubject: Re: Apostasy, good or bad?   Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:53 pm

The way I see it, every Atheist would be guilty of apostasy. Religion is everywhere, we choose to discard it because we do not believe in it.

If you are asking me why I abandoned my religion, it would be simply because there was no reason for me to hold on to it anymore. I have seen too many things that are not very good for me to believe in any god. In my opinion the concept of god was created by people long ago when they did not have enough information to know the reasons of things that occurred in nature and later in the course of their own life. It was a way of explaining something that could not be explained. It was a object of laying on the blame when something happened which was out of humans' control, tragic or otherwise.

Well, just my thought on the matter really. Maybe they are incorrect. At least I haven't seen anything yet that'd cause me to correct them if they are wrong...

Bow Before Thy Master
Bow Before Thy Master

PostSubject: Re: Apostasy, good or bad?   Thu May 06, 2010 8:52 am

Well, the thing is, I see Atheists as people who decide against a religion before they actually choose the religion for themselves. I mean, my life for example:

I was forced to be a Christian when I was younger. It was the only religion I knew of. I grew up, saw the issues, the holes, etc. I found out about Agnosticism, and agreed with it. Now, if I had chosen no religion, I'd call myself an Atheist, not Apostasy. See what I mean? I see someone of Apostasy as someone who chose a religion and then "gave up" on it.

Does that make any sense?

Back to top Go down
Artrain
Eternally lazy

PostSubject: Re: Apostasy, good or bad?   Thu May 06, 2010 9:11 am

It does. Naturally as a child I believed in my religion. Used to think it was cool and all. Used to follow all the programmes they showed that dealt with our mythology. But then after some years I started to ask myself what is the purpose of following this religion? Did it help me in anyway? It did not. I come from a place where there are too many religions and castes and sub-castes, and what I saw was that these religions and sub-castes were actually dividing the people. They taunted each other. Misunderstood each other. Argued with each other. Could not work along with each other. And why? Because their gods were different, and their cultures and traditions were different. Well, so basically I said to hell with it. My apologies to anyone who finds this offending; it is not meant to be that way. It only shows what a fool I am... ;)

Bow Before Thy Master
Bow Before Thy Master

PostSubject: Re: Apostasy, good or bad?   Thu May 06, 2010 9:36 am

I totally agree dude. That's basically what happened with me, except I can't see there not being something out there. Whether it is (a) god(s)/goddess(es) or just something like the Matrix, I don't know. But I can't really wrap my brain around there being nothing controlling everything. I mean, my brains just goes and goes on about stuff like the Big Bang. I believe it happened, but what created it? What caused it to happen? A different Big Bang? Well, what created that one? All sorts of stuff like that, and the way I see it Agnostic is the only thing that works for me.

Back to top Go down
Artrain
Eternally lazy

PostSubject: Re: Apostasy, good or bad?   Thu May 06, 2010 3:08 pm

Yes that happens with me too. I know my knowledge about this thing can never be enough. Not even a fraction of being close to enough. I just think that we would be able to understand what had happened if there was a way for us to get that knowledge. But I do not think we will ever be able to get that knowledge. Hell, they can't even find out where Osama is hiding and they're thinking of knowing what caused the big bang? In the dreams...

Guitar God
Guitar God

PostSubject: Re: Apostasy, good or bad?   Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:10 pm

Rain Stinks wrote:
I'm not quite as big about Apostasy. It seems kind of "under the belt" in a way. I don't have anything against it, but to abandon your belief 100% just doesn't seem right to me. I mean, I can't say you shouldn't change/switch/modify your belief, but from what I've heard, it seems like Apostasy is a bit extreme. I mean, I went from Christian to Agnostic, but I still carry a bit of the Christian belief with me, just differently when looking at it.

Hmm, I'm not sure this applies to me entirely.
I try to think back years and years, but I cannot recall a time I held the existence of a God without question. I enjoyed the Bible stories, of Jesus turning his water into wine and curing the blind and all that. But far back as I go, I always see them in my memory as nothing but stories I liked. Nothing I wholeheartedly believed. I doubt though, that at three or four or five years old I would already have disregarded religion. I always remember though possessing at least a small measure of disbelief to the fact that their was this omnipotent being though, finding the concept in itself far fetched.

I see nothing wrong with apostasy, it is simply one person deciding for themselves whatever views they once held no longer apply. It doesn't matter if their views take a total swing in the opposite direction, so long as the reason for the change is justified and understood to themselves.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Apostasy, good or bad?   

Back to top Go down

Apostasy, good or bad?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top