Battle Zone
We think you should log in. Don't you?

This is the site for everything and anything you want to talk about. Want to discuss the latest games? Done. Want to have fun? Done. This is THE place to have a great time.

HomePortalFAQMemberlistRegisterLog in

Share | 

Broken Sky Series (Books 1-9) by Chris Wooding

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Artrain
Eternally lazy

PostSubject: Broken Sky Series (Books 1-9) by Chris Wooding   Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:48 am

Well, its not very popular, but lets face it, hundreds of great books are not. So this one belongs to an action fantasy class and it has the most amazing action sequences and imagination by any author I've seen. There are in total nine books, quite small, just 200-300 pages each, but they are extremely well written. The storyline is very good too. The most prominent thing though is the unusual imagination. No elves, dwarves, dragons (though there are wyverns), magicians, wizards, vampires, trolls, orcs, goblins, giants, etc. etc. that you usually find in normal fantasy books. The 'fantasy' part is very original, though it has been based a bit (and very small bit) on anime. In fact he had written the books as a basis to make an anime, though it did not happen. None the less, totally incredible books even though they are a bit hard to find...

Book Moderator

PostSubject: Re: Broken Sky Series (Books 1-9) by Chris Wooding   Mon May 17, 2010 9:32 am

Eh, you say it could have been a anime? Well thats enough to persuade me to read it xP but im quite intrigued to read the series now, considering you said the fantasy part is very original :O
Back to top Go down
Artrain
Eternally lazy

PostSubject: Re: Broken Sky Series (Books 1-9) by Chris Wooding   Mon May 17, 2010 11:39 am

Yeah! I've got one reader! (well one who is willing to read at least). Believe me, I shared the books with seven of my friends WHO DON'T USUALLY READ BOOKS, and even they were hooked onto it. It is like no other books I have read. A real action fantasy. And yes the elements are very much original. The story might be similar to some we've read before, but that doesn't affect it one bit.

Since it was made to be an anime series, obviously people of all ages, mostly the adult-teenagers, can totally enjoy it like it happens in case of most of the anime. Tell me if you find them, because that seems to be the hardest part. They are not well publicized and are hard to find in book stores over here...

FRESH MEAT

PostSubject: Re: Broken Sky Series (Books 1-9) by Chris Wooding   Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:14 am

I will say this in full honesty. I am not what someone would classify as a nerd or geek. I am 22 and just picked up this book the other day, something i bought when i was in grade school, and could not believe how amazing this book was. I was surprised when I saw the reading level, although how its worded scream gr. 5, its content, and some of the words and term used in it do not. I has a dark and graphic edge to it.

I do find it flows well, and it is very descriptive writing. Also it has some of the most enriching character development and surprises you would not expect from some of the characters in the book its self. I could see it easily see it being a mini tv series. And; like my predecessor mentioned, the fantasy twist is very unique. For one it makes you stay focused to what is going since it has nothing to do with characters ( well pretty much), it has everything to do with the feel of the story at that time as well as; the surroundings in the story line, and the way characters interact with other characters. I you were to just skim over these parts you would more than likely get confused as to why certain things are happening the way they are.

I have noticed there is not a whole lot of comic relief especially when it is an intense part of the story, I like this it keeps you locked in constantly seeing and feeling what the characters are experiencing. Over all I give this be it simple but invigorating book a 8 out of 10.
Back to top Go down
Lone Wolf
I am such a post-wh*re and I am proud of it.

PostSubject: Re: Broken Sky Series (Books 1-9) by Chris Wooding   Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:38 pm

Might have to see if I can find it at the local Library, sounds like a good read.

Whats the setting it is in??? And what sort of fantasy are we looking at here?

Mollichi
FRESH MEAT

PostSubject: Re: Broken Sky Series (Books 1-9) by Chris Wooding   Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:46 am

Im going to have to buy the rest online i don't think they're available anywhere else but they are cheep usually around 5-8 dollars and are more then worth the small investment

This series is an action fantasy and is set in what seems kind of earthly but not quite some of they tech far exceeds our own and some is lacking in areas that we have.

the authors name is chris wooding when u go to look for it
Back to top Go down
Zongetsu31
FRESH MEAT

PostSubject: Re: Broken Sky Series (Books 1-9) by Chris Wooding   Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:07 am

Have any of you read the 8th or 9th book yet? I read the first 7 a long time back and since then I've heard 2 more were released? I just decided to re-read the series and I was wondering if someone could tell me whether or not the two new books are out and if so does it follow the same plot??
Much appreciated!!!!
Back to top Go down
Artrain
Eternally lazy

PostSubject: Re: Broken Sky Series (Books 1-9) by Chris Wooding   Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:06 am

Wow I've got some fellow readers! Glad to hear your views Mollichi. You describe the books very well. They are simple in the sense that the plot is not overly complicated, and neither is the writing style. And yet you just can't help but love them. I've still to buy the last three books unfortunately, but I'm going to do it as soon as I see em online.

Zongetsu31, yea all nine books have already been released and I'll give you a link if I find them at any site.

PostSubject: Re: Broken Sky Series (Books 1-9) by Chris Wooding   

Back to top Go down

Broken Sky Series (Books 1-9) by Chris Wooding

View previous topic View next topic Back to top