Battle Zone
We think you should log in. Don't you?

This is the site for everything and anything you want to talk about. Want to discuss the latest games? Done. Want to have fun? Done. This is THE place to have a great time.

HomePortalFAQMemberlistRegisterLog in

Share | 

Sub Sections

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Artrain
Eternally lazy

PostSubject: Sub Sections   Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:43 am

It seems that a lot of the sections have been collected and have been made as sub-section of a main topic. I'm not exactly sure whether it is a good idea at this stage. True that is helps with categorizing the sections, but I think that those sub-sections start to lose a bit more in terms of posts and views.

When the sections are outside on the main page, you can see if anyone's made a latest post and the name of the topic in which he has done it, which allows the interested members to post as soon as they see it, and other members to check it out and comment if they read anything they like.

When they are inside a main section, it happens sometimes that the latest post of sub section gets overlapped by the main section's post, and if the members might never notice whether a new post has been made unless they go in that sub-section and see for themselves.

Now I know that is not too much of a bad thing, since the interested members always check out the topics they usually post in to see whether there have been any updates or not, but this sort of setup means that the less interested/ indifferent member would never bother to see or post in that sub-section. Like I said, it is not a problem or anything, but I'd like your take on this...

I am such a post-wh*re and I am proud of it.

PostSubject: Re: Sub Sections   Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:49 am

hmm..... you have a point there bro.

The reason it has been done this way is so that people see that the forum is actually more active than it really is and are more tempted to join.

Artrain
Eternally lazy

PostSubject: Re: Sub Sections   Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:12 am

Yes I suppose that is a good tac. My main concern is for the Stories, Poems and Fanfics section. They get very less posts as it is, and putting them inside might just drop the activity down even further...

Bow Before Thy Master
Bow Before Thy Master

PostSubject: Re: Sub Sections   Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:54 am

Here's the thing though:

We're doing this for the reason Zach said.

How to get around your issue? Simple:

When in each section, if there is a new post in a sub-section or something, there will be one of those "New" images on the left, where the locks, moved, and that type of stuff is seen. If a post has been made since you were last active, you'll see that until you enter that post.

Back to top Go down
http://battlezone.forumotion.net/
Mozzie
OHNOES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostSubject: Re: Sub Sections   Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:08 pm

Hmmm... You know what I think about this? I think some of you guys don't go to the 'view new posts' feature. Whenever I go on here, I always go there. If anyone don't know where it is, it can be found on the bottom left side corner of the chatbox on the top of the rules main section. If by chance, no new posts has been made, go to the 'todays active topics' at the very bottom of the page. It can be found on the left side too since we are using a new skin. So, yeah, that's it. I hope that helps.
Back to top Go down
http://www.wkyc.com/weather/severe_weather/cancellations_closing
Artrain
Eternally lazy

PostSubject: Re: Sub Sections   Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:16 am

That is true. But you can't help it when people exercise their right to be lazy.

What I'm taking into consideration is the fact that when all the subsections like Poetry, Fanfics, Stories, MD were visible on the front page, we got something like 15 new members in two weeks and the total number of posts increased by nearly 3000.

Now two more weeks have passed I think, since the above mentioned sections were made as subsections, and how many new members have we had? Three to five I think. And by how much has the post count increased? Something a bit over a thousand.

I'm just taking these facts into consideration and trying to guess what is the reason for the drop in number...

PostSubject: Re: Sub Sections   Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:04 am

Hey ummm......... Artrain there is a edit function so please don't double post.

Mozzie
OHNOES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostSubject: Re: Sub Sections   Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:15 am

Artrain wrote:
That is true. But you can't help it when people exercise their right to be lazy.
Hmm.. If that's the case, then it isn't my fault or yours if some members don't know where and what topics they need to reply to.

Quote :
What I'm taking into consideration is the fact that when all the subsections like Poetry, Fanfics, Stories, MD were visible on the front page, we got something like 15 new members in two weeks and the total number of posts increased by nearly 3000.

Now two more weeks have passed I think, since the above mentioned sections were made as subsections, and how many new members have we had? Three to five I think. And by how much has the post count increased? Something a bit over a thousand.

I'm just taking these facts into consideration and trying to guess what is the reason for the drop in number...
To be honest, I think those two weeks were just a great time that new members found how great the site is and encourage others to join as well. And since, they knew that this is a new forum, they were in a frenzy to post and chat. Apologies if this seems quite out of place for this but that's what I think.

Btw Mr. A, could you please delete your other post? Hehe... ^^;
Back to top Go down
Artrain
Eternally lazy

PostSubject: Re: Sub Sections   Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:41 am

Silverbluefire wrote:
Hey ummm......... Artrain there is a edit function so please don't double post.
Damn I musta pressed the 'Quote' button instead of 'Edit'.

Giorgia wrote:
Artrain wrote:
Hmm.. If that's the case, then it isn't my fault or yours if some members don't know where and what topics they need to reply to.
Of course it is not. But if by some way we can create such a setup that even the laziest of members will make decent number of posts then it is the site that is going to benefit.
Giorgia wrote:

To be honest, I think those two weeks were just a great time that new members found how great the site is and encourage others to join as well. And since, they knew that this is a new forum, they were in a frenzy to post and chat. Apologies if this seems quite out of place for this but that's what I think.
Yes the joining of members might be down to people finding about the site, but as for the posts, I think the reason was more than just one.

Giorgia wrote:

Btw Mr. A, could you please delete your other post? Hehe... ^^;
Er, where has the 'Delete' button gone?

OHNOES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostSubject: Re: Sub Sections   Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:57 am

Artrain wrote:

Of course it is not. But if by some way we can create such a setup that even the laziest of members will make decent number of posts then it is the site that is going to benefit.
Hmmm... I don't think that'll work even if we can do that(not really sure if we can make a set-up like that or not). Besides, those members are like you said, lazy so, what is the...point?
Quote :

Yes the joining of members might be down to people finding about the site, but as for the posts, I think the reason was more than just one.
I don't really know and what do you think are the reasons? I can not think of one. D:

Quote :
I already deleted it and I think its only us, admins that can delete posts etc. hehe
Back to top Go down
Old Amsterdam
Bow Before Thy Master
Bow Before Thy Master

PostSubject: Re: Sub Sections   Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:09 am

Giorgia wrote:
Artrain wrote:

Hmmm... I don't think that'll work even if we can do that(not really sure if we can make a set-up like that or not). Besides, those members are like you said, lazy so, what is the...point?
Exactly my thinking GG. There isn't really a way to fix a lazy member's issues. It isn't that hard to find the new posts.

Quote :

I don't really know and what do you think are the reasons? I can not think of one. D: [/quote]
Yeah, the majority of our growth was from people finding us on different forums, or members telling their friends about us. Now that we've more or less exhausted those options, we just have to take them as they come. BTW, we are now on Google searches for Battlezone and stuff. You can type in our URL and we get several links that come up for us.

Quote :
I already deleted it and I think its only us, admins that can delete posts etc. hehe[/quote]
I'm pretty sure it's all Staff members that can delete posts, as long as they have permission for MODing that section.

Back to top Go down
http://battlezone.forumotion.net/
Artrain
Eternally lazy

PostSubject: Re: Sub Sections   Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:25 am

Giorgia wrote:
Um I think it will to some extent. I'm taking my own example here. I always look out for the latest posts that have been made in sections and have a glance at them whenever the topic seems interesting.

The point is to rack up as many posts and have as many members involved in the discussion as possible.

Giorgia wrote:

I don't really know and what do you think are the reasons? I can not think of one. D:
Well the first one would be obviously that like you said if they are new members, they feel interested to put their thoughts up and get their post count up and running.

Then there are the members who usually post in the topic since its in their interest.

But some percentage of posters is made up of people who are not exactly interested in the topic, but when they see that the topic is 'Hot' and people are posting, they make rare appearances. What it does is it freshens up the thread, and gives the regular members something new to talk about, and there is always a possibility that this 'rare' poster might just start getting interested in it.

Well, I'm just trying to be, as they say, a bean counter here. Provide you guys with an argument by trying to look at it from different angles, though it does not mean I'm saying this without any conviction. The decision is finally yours obviously. Maybe you can take actual trial on it and see which one works better sometime later...

PostSubject: Re: Sub Sections   Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:55 pm

Artrain you are doing a bloody good job, so don't feel as if we are not listening to you because we actually are, you have some bloody good points in this matter as well.

Ok we might do this but it was Matt who wanted the subsections in works by members done like this.
So I will talk to him on this and get him to post what he thinks on this matter.

But I am going to pull forum games out of GD for now.

Artrain
Eternally lazy

PostSubject: Re: Sub Sections   Sat May 01, 2010 3:03 am

Thank you SBF. Again I don't know what kind of setup will work better, I'm just speculating. I come to the forums because I like posting in topics besides talking to you guys, and lately the threads where I look forward to replying have been 'stale', so I'm trying to guess what the reason could have been, and I'm thinking that this might have been one of them...

PostSubject: Re: Sub Sections   Sat May 01, 2010 8:07 am

Well I tell you something Artrain.......
Every time I come on here I look for new posts since I last came on and you know what? Usually nothing but forum games has been posted in.

Artrain
Eternally lazy

PostSubject: Re: Sub Sections   Sat May 01, 2010 8:24 am

*laughs* Same here. People really need to try other things out...

PostSubject: Re: Sub Sections   

Back to top Go down

Sub Sections

View previous topic View next topic Back to top