Battle Zone
We think you should log in. Don't you?

This is the site for everything and anything you want to talk about. Want to discuss the latest games? Done. Want to have fun? Done. This is THE place to have a great time.

HomePortalFAQMemberlistRegisterLog in

Share | 

Ask an Odinist

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Pearl Song
Crazy Welsh Woman
Crazy Welsh Woman

PostSubject: Re: Ask an Odinist   Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:21 pm

I will answer your questions in the morning ...Im really going to have to spend soem time correctign those filters.
Back to top Go down
Artrain
Eternally lazy

PostSubject: Re: Ask an Odinist   Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:27 am

Sure, take you time...

Crazy Welsh Woman
Crazy Welsh Woman

PostSubject: Re: Ask an Odinist   Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:06 am

Artrain wrote:
This is so fascinating. Got some random questions for you Elissa.
First of all, if you got no temples or anything, how do you teach the young children about your religion? Small children usually need something visual to go by, so have you got idols of the gods or pictures maybe?
We Teach them by teaching them, do you need a temple simply to tell someone of the gods? We have statuettes of how we depict the gods though and they help for when we do need to 'commune' with the gods.

Artrain wrote:
Secondly you say "Our gods are true gods, divine, living, spiritual entities, endowed with power and intelligence, able and willing to intervene in the course of Nature and of human lives." What do you mean by this exactly?
They are true gods, they exists in a higher world than ours and are more powerful and wiser than we could imagine, They have and possibly will interfear with the course of mankind in the past and possibly will again in the future.

Artrain wrote:
Thirdly, you state there are in total nine world, three in each....plane shall we say? Well what is the difference between the three of the same plane? For example what is the difference between 'Vanaheimr', 'Midgard' and 'Jötunheimr'?
Jötunheimr is the world and home of the giants who wage war upon the gods, it is a deadly land of mountains, ice and snow. Midgard is where we are right now. Vanaheimr is the home and world of the Vanir clan of gods a 'lesser' group though the Æsir treat them as equals, they once waged war upon each other when the Æsir sent two of their own to be 'hostages' and the Vanir sent freyja and her brother Freyr to be hostages with the Æsir this was ment to brign peace, instead the Vanir kileld both hostages sent to them whilst the Æsir gave Freyja and Freyr seats in their halls and treated them as Æsir.

Artrain wrote:
Fourthly what is this 'mah booty' that you speak of?

The filter beign a pain.

Artrain wrote:
Fifthly, I have read some Norse mythology, and you speak of Ragnarok as if it has already been predicted, and every god's role in the Ragnarok has also been described. So has it already happened or is it about to happen in the future?

Ragnarok is the rebirth of the world. It has not yet happened, I belive ocne it has, is where Christianity is ment to be. Ragnarok is the final battle of all time, when the elements will make war on each other and the forces of the Æsir and Vanir will march to face the elemental and giant hordes in battle. The battle will only come after three years of winter with no summer, spring or autumn.

Artrain wrote:
Lastly, I had heard that the worshipers of Odin believed that suicide by hanging was a way to enter Valhalla. Was it true? If so, how did it fit in 'The Nine Noble Virtues' and 'The Nine Charges' that you've mentioned?
Suicide is a cowards way to die and as such is nto a way to enter Valholl or Fólkvangr the only way to be chosen is if you live a brave life and on your deathbed still posses someform of 'weapon' be it sword, knife, bow, etc. So no suicide even by hanging is nto the way.

Artrain wrote:
Well, those are all for now. I hope I haven't stated anything offensive or incorrect. Your descriptions were most revealing. There was a rather interesting similarity between how Odin, Vili and Ve killed Ymir, to the Greek mythology where Kronos was killed by his three sons. Um, one last question, what became of Vili and Ve?
They still exist like Odin they gave somethign to mankind, we simply it seems changed their names as Odins brothers are now called by these names, Hœnir and Lóðurr.
Back to top Go down
Artrain
Eternally lazy

PostSubject: Re: Ask an Odinist   Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:34 am

Elissa wrote:

We Teach them by teaching them, do you need a temple simply to tell someone of the gods? We have statuettes of how we depict the gods though and they help for when we do need to 'commune' with the gods.
And are there specific places where you go and 'commune'?

Elissa wrote:

They are true gods, they exists in a higher world than ours and are more powerful and wiser than we could imagine, They have and possibly will interfear with the course of mankind in the past and possibly will again in the future.
I see. But all religions say that their gods exist, and are more powerful and wiser than anything else, and that they have interfered with the past at some point. Is there anything more in your case?

Elissa wrote:

Jötunheimr is the world and home of the giants who wage war upon the gods, it is a deadly land of mountains, ice and snow. Midgard is where we are right now. Vanaheimr is the home and world of the Vanir clan of gods a 'lesser' group though the Æsir treat them as equals, they once waged war upon each other when the Æsir sent two of their own to be 'hostages' and the Vanir sent freyja and her brother Freyr to be hostages with the Æsir this was ment to brign peace, instead the Vanir kileld both hostages sent to them whilst the Æsir gave Freyja and Freyr seats in their halls and treated them as Æsir.
Two questions from this. First, what separates these worlds or are they integrated together with just geographical boundaries?
Second, if the Vanir were a race of Gods, why weren't they situated in one of the worlds from heaven?

Elissa wrote:

Artrain wrote:
Fourthly what is this 'mah booty' that you speak of?

The filter beign a pain.
Sorry bout that.

Elissa wrote:

Ragnarok is the rebirth of the world. It has not yet happened, I belive ocne it has, is where Christianity is ment to be. Ragnarok is the final battle of all time, when the elements will make war on each other and the forces of the Æsir and Vanir will march to face the elemental and giant hordes in battle. The battle will only come after three years of winter with no summer, spring or autumn.
The elements? But I thought the gods were supposed to control these elements. Hmm three years of winter? So is Skadi supposed to have a role in it?

Elissa wrote:

Suicide is a cowards way to die and as such is nto a way to enter Valholl or Fólkvangr the only way to be chosen is if you live a brave life and on your deathbed still posses someform of 'weapon' be it sword, knife, bow, etc. So no suicide even by hanging is nto the way.
Hmm, I wouldn't speculate if suicide was the cowardly way, but you are saying that my information was wrong? I apologize.

Elissa wrote:

They still exist like Odin they gave somethign to mankind, we simply it seems changed their names as Odins brothers are now called by these names, Hœnir and Lóðurr.
Aah. But they are not as venerated as Odin. Any reason for that?

Thank you for the explanations Elissa. Again I hope I am not being offensive...

Chatz Master
Chatz Master

PostSubject: Re: Ask an Odinist   Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:57 pm

I read all these things and i cant help but see that it sounds so much like Norse mythology you even have the same gods from what i can tell (not that i know all the gods of either one) is odinism and norse the same or are they just simaler?
Back to top Go down
Artrain
Eternally lazy

PostSubject: Re: Ask an Odinist   Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:21 pm

Bleh, Odinism is Norse mythology. I suppose it was named after Odin who was their primary god...

Programmer
Programmer

PostSubject: Re: Ask an Odinist   Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:10 pm

Odin is a Norse God that rules a land of Ice and if I am not wrong is supposedly the Chief Norse God. Odin is also the name of the Wizard in the book I am writing. Awesome
Back to top Go down
Pearl Song
Crazy Welsh Woman
Crazy Welsh Woman

PostSubject: Re: Ask an Odinist   Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:54 pm

Land of ice? Where do people keep hearing these things?
Back to top Go down
Artrain
Eternally lazy

PostSubject: Re: Ask an Odinist   Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:57 am

Who knows? I suppose figuratively speaking Norse mythology began and was prominently followed in the northern European regions, the 'Lands of Ice', so continuing to speak figuratively, it would mean the Norse gods 'ruled' the 'Land of Ice' in a way, no? At least I guess that's what TBF meant.

Speaking on the basis of information though, he's obviously wrong. I guess he skipped your explanations...

Crazy Welsh Woman
Crazy Welsh Woman

PostSubject: Re: Ask an Odinist   Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:31 am

I have found most people tend to.
Back to top Go down
Artrain
Eternally lazy

PostSubject: Re: Ask an Odinist   Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:49 am

Yes, well you aren't answering the one person who hasn't. -__-

Okay, one more question. What exactly were the Valkyrie? Were they something like shield-maidens or something else as well?

Crazy Welsh Woman
Crazy Welsh Woman

PostSubject: Re: Ask an Odinist   Thu May 06, 2010 6:32 am

The Valkyries had often inspired poets as women-warriors. Their name means, "Chooser of the Slain", and were often called battle-maidens, shield-maidens, swan-maidens, wish-maidens and mead-maidens. As these names suggest, they had various functions.

Their main duty was to select the slain warriors, who had fallen in battle or other combat, such as quest or killing dragon, etc. These slain warriors were known as the Einherjar, and were chosen to fight alongside with the Aesir gods at Ragnarok. The Einherjar waited for Ragnarok, in Odin's hall, Valhalla or in Freyja's hall, Fólkvangr.
Back to top Go down
Artrain
Eternally lazy

PostSubject: Re: Ask an Odinist   Thu May 06, 2010 6:58 am

I see, so they do not take part in the actual battle? And are they supposed to be under a particular god? Or are they something like goddesses themselves?

Crazy Welsh Woman
Crazy Welsh Woman

PostSubject: Re: Ask an Odinist   Thu May 06, 2010 8:26 am

The only battle they take part in is Ragnarok and they are the daughters of Odin essentialy.
Back to top Go down
Artrain
Eternally lazy

PostSubject: Re: Ask an Odinist   Thu May 06, 2010 3:10 pm

Thank you for that Zhen. Well, I'll leave you to answer the previous questions whenever you wish...

PostSubject: Re: Ask an Odinist   

Back to top Go down

Ask an Odinist

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Battle Zone :: Discussions :: General Discussions :: Bickering About Religion.-
Jump to: