Battle Zone
We think you should log in. Don't you?

This is the site for everything and anything you want to talk about. Want to discuss the latest games? Done. Want to have fun? Done. This is THE place to have a great time.

HomePortalFAQMemberlistRegisterLog in

Share | 

Which style of martial arts do you practice,and why did you pick that particular style?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
JudgeofMagic
Awesome Games are Awesome

PostSubject: Which style of martial arts do you practice,and why did you pick that particular style?   Tue May 04, 2010 10:35 pm

I practice Taekwondo and Shotokan Karate.I chose Taekwondo because one of my friends did it.Taekwondo was my first style.I take Shotokan Karate because I once sparred with someone who used Shotokan Karate.I liked how Karate does not depend on one type of attack.Even though the kicks in Taekwondo are awesome,there is more variety with Karate.I still practice both.
Back to top Go down
http://www.warriordomain.forum-motion.net
DareDevil
Shamu Victim

PostSubject: Re: Which style of martial arts do you practice,and why did you pick that particular style?   Wed May 05, 2010 10:34 am

I don't practice martial arts!
Back to top Go down
DoomDecapitator
FRESH MEAT

PostSubject: Re: Which style of martial arts do you practice,and why did you pick that particular style?   Wed May 05, 2010 9:21 pm

Martial arts is not just for the body it is for the mind. It is a way of life to some.
I practice Judo, grappling and wrestling. Though i always wanted to do Savate, which is french martial arts.
Back to top Go down
BlackAngel
Fighter
Fighter

PostSubject: Re: Which style of martial arts do you practice,and why did you pick that particular style?   Thu May 06, 2010 11:51 am

I practice Tae Kwon Do. I began with kick-boxing but then changed to TKD 'cause it's more awesome!!
If there aren't any problems, I'll participate on a competition this weekend (my first in the last years...so excited...) and do the exam for black belt at the end of June...
Back to top Go down
Lone Wolf
I am such a post-wh*re and I am proud of it.

PostSubject: Re: Which style of martial arts do you practice,and why did you pick that particular style?   Thu May 06, 2010 10:27 pm

I don't actually practice a martial art, but I know some Karate, and I can if you want disable someone with a simple move of my hand.

Matt
Ex Staff
Ex Staff

PostSubject: Re: Which style of martial arts do you practice,and why did you pick that particular style?   Fri May 07, 2010 2:09 pm

I recently got my Judo black belt and my Karate Brown Belt...I'm still a beginner at Taewondo I've started only a month ago...

I got my Aiki-Jitsu black belt when I was 10 and my Jitsu black belt when I was 14...

I'm quite the fighter! >Razz

Matt
Back to top Go down
http://www.Battlezone.forumotion.net
Firesword assassin
Ice Breaker

PostSubject: Re: Which style of martial arts do you practice,and why did you pick that particular style?   Sun May 09, 2010 3:54 pm

I'm starting Karate and I know a bit of Judo and Muay Thai. Enough to disable someone and possibly kill them- not that I intend to.

JudgeofMagic

PostSubject: Re: Which style of martial arts do you practice,and why did you pick that particular style?   Sun May 09, 2010 9:55 pm

BlackAngel wrote:
I practice Tae Kwon Do. I began with kick-boxing but then changed to TKD 'cause it's more awesome!!
If there aren't any problems, I'll participate on a competition this weekend (my first in the last years...so excited...) and do the exam for black belt at the end of June...
Good luck,both in the tournament and on the belt exam.I never practiced in a dojo,so I do not know how you earn your belt ranks.One of Mom's friends moved from South Korea before the Korean War started.He is a 6 dan black belt.Even though he did not start a dojo,he is still a certified instructor,so he is allowed to give people belt rankings without his credibility being questioned by authorities.In order to advance in rank,I had to prove that I was improving everyday and not picking fights.Other than that,I do not know what criteria my instructor looked for when he allowed me to move to the next level.How does earning the next belt level work in a dojo?I never went to one of the facilities.I always trained privately with my instructor along with his kids.
Back to top Go down
BlackAngel
Fighter
Fighter

PostSubject: Re: Which style of martial arts do you practice,and why did you pick that particular style?   Mon May 10, 2010 11:30 am

judgeofmagic wrote:
BlackAngel wrote:
Good luck,both in the tournament and on the belt exam.I never practiced in a dojo,so I do not know how you earn your belt ranks.One of Mom's friends moved from South Korea before the Korean War started.He is a 6 dan black belt.Even though he did not start a dojo,he is still a certified instructor,so he is allowed to give people belt rankings without his credibility being questioned by authorities.In order to advance in rank,I had to prove that I was improving everyday and not picking fights.Other than that,I do not know what criteria my instructor looked for when he allowed me to move to the next level.How does earning the next belt level work in a dojo?I never went to one of the facilities.I always trained privately with my instructor along with his kids.
Thank you! (I got 3rd in the tournament...)

That's an interesting way...
We have to do the form we need to do for the belt (and know all the previous ones), fight 2 people and do free self-defense (the Iboterion/Hosinsul (sp?))...
Sometimes we also have to break a um...piece of wood...

For the black belt, we have to go somewhere, where all the people who want to make it go (two times a year, I guess). Then we have to do some kicks, fight someone and do the 8th Form and two others, I guess (6th or 7th and 4th or 5th).

I just know, that in order to get a (black) belt, the coreans have to say that it's okay and you'll get a Kukkiwon (sp?) certificate...
Back to top Go down
Urmudda0007
Royal Knight
Royal Knight

PostSubject: Re: Which style of martial arts do you practice,and why did you pick that particular style?   Fri May 21, 2010 8:16 am

I'm a second degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do. I started TKD because of geographic convenience but I've kept it up because its cool and keeps me as fit as a pepsi junkie can be!
I grade by doing exams, in which all aspects of my Tae Kwon Do are examined, especially patterns which are a set sequence of moves against one or more imaginary opponents (By far the least fun part of TKD). These exams are less frequent as the grades increase. I did my 2nd degree exam 2 years ago and I have to wait another year before my 3rd degree!

I like competing, although I'm not a very stylish fighter. I rarely if ever punch, I'm all legs! Power Surge
Back to top Go down
Mindrop
Her kommer utvisnings hammeren!

PostSubject: Re: Which style of martial arts do you practice,and why did you pick that particular style?   Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:22 pm

At the moment, Tae Kwon Do. Not impressed with it entirely. I like it, but I need something mroe agressive, like Karate. In my opinion, Many of the other martial Arts can easily beat Tae Kwon Do. Still I will get Black belt, then move on.
Back to top Go down
http://alagaesiaonline.superdiscussions.com/forum.htm
Captain Tezuka
I am picking my nose with a back scratcher. Got a problem with that?

PostSubject: Re: Which style of martial arts do you practice,and why did you pick that particular style?   Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:23 pm

Kendo. I like how ritualized and orderly it is. Oh baby!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.formspring.me/Obstinatus
JudgeofMagic

PostSubject: Re: Which style of martial arts do you practice,and why did you pick that particular style?   Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:02 pm

Mindrop wrote:
At the moment, Tae Kwon Do. Not impressed with it entirely. I like it, but I need something mroe agressive, like Karate. In my opinion, Many of the other martial Arts can easily beat Tae Kwon Do. Still I will get Black belt, then move on.
Try Hapkido. It is not sport oriented like TKD. It is more practicle.
Back to top Go down
Captain Tezuka

PostSubject: Re: Which style of martial arts do you practice,and why did you pick that particular style?   Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:03 pm

Never heard of Hapkido, personally.
Back to top Go down
JudgeofMagic

PostSubject: Re: Which style of martial arts do you practice,and why did you pick that particular style?   Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:49 am

Talon Blade wrote:
Never heard of Hapkido, personally.
It is similar to TKD, but more practical for self defense. They have a lot of joint locks and great defense against weapons.
Back to top Go down
Captain Tezuka

PostSubject: Re: Which style of martial arts do you practice,and why did you pick that particular style?   Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:13 am

Dude, that sounds good. That's what I need, especially in my 'hood. I live in what is essentially the slums. Gangstahs and gangs abound.
Back to top Go down
Twin Dagger
Chatz Master
Chatz Master

PostSubject: Re: Which style of martial arts do you practice,and why did you pick that particular style?   Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:41 am

I kinda practice a mix I guess you could call it. I have jsut basically self taught myself different things and not really stuck to any one style as I was not allowed to actually go and take a martial arts class.
Back to top Go down
Captain Tezuka

PostSubject: Re: Which style of martial arts do you practice,and why did you pick that particular style?   Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:34 pm

I'm mostly the same way. I just learn from verious senseis unofficially.
Back to top Go down
JudgeofMagic

PostSubject: Re: Which style of martial arts do you practice,and why did you pick that particular style?   Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:30 pm

Talon Blade wrote:
Dude, that sounds good. That's what I need, especially in my 'hood. I live in what is essentially the slums. Gangstahs and gangs abound.
I used to live in a very similar situation, which is why I learned martial arts in the first place.
Back to top Go down
Captain Tezuka

PostSubject: Re: Which style of martial arts do you practice,and why did you pick that particular style?   Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:50 pm

Nice. I have lots of knives too Smile
Back to top Go down
JudgeofMagic

PostSubject: Re: Which style of martial arts do you practice,and why did you pick that particular style?   Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:43 pm

I fought a person who practices Krav Maga today (civilian version). Krav Maga is a very tough style to fight. Does anyone here use Krav Maga?
Back to top Go down
Captain Tezuka

PostSubject: Re: Which style of martial arts do you practice,and why did you pick that particular style?   Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:59 pm

Nope. I use a smattering of arts from random Senseis focusing on Kendo. I love that stuff.
Back to top Go down
JudgeofMagic

PostSubject: Re: Which style of martial arts do you practice,and why did you pick that particular style?   Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:35 pm

As soon as I get out of my wheelchair I plan on practicing Muay Thai and/or Kung Fu. Can somebody give me advice on how each of these two styles work? I am going to a dojo to watch but I would like to hear your thoughts as well.
Back to top Go down
Urmudda0007
Royal Knight
Royal Knight

PostSubject: Re: Which style of martial arts do you practice,and why did you pick that particular style?   Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:48 pm

From what I've heard, Muey Thai is very aggressive, focusing on elbows and knees more than most martial arts would.

I wouldn't mind giving Wu Shu a go, after seeing Jet Li's fearless. (Don't worry, I know I will never be able to fight like that. I'm under no such illusions)
Back to top Go down
Old Amsterdam
Bow Before Thy Master
Bow Before Thy Master

PostSubject: Re: Which style of martial arts do you practice,and why did you pick that particular style?   Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:02 pm

I used to practice Karate, but I haven't anytime recently. I want to pick it back up, and then learn some other martial arts. I just think it's a great way to stay and shape and defend yourself if ever need be.

Back to top Go down
http://battlezone.forumotion.net/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Which style of martial arts do you practice,and why did you pick that particular style?   

Back to top Go down

Which style of martial arts do you practice,and why did you pick that particular style?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top