Battle Zone
We think you should log in. Don't you?

This is the site for everything and anything you want to talk about. Want to discuss the latest games? Done. Want to have fun? Done. This is THE place to have a great time.

HomePortalFAQMemberlistRegisterLog in

Share | 

NO WORLD CUP THREAD!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!?!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Mozzie
OHNOES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostSubject: Re: NO WORLD CUP THREAD!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!?!   Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:41 am

Yeah Artrain,.. -__- I know Germans are too good for Australia but like I said, It's NOT OVER yet. GO SOCCEROOS!!!!!!! Awesome
Back to top Go down
http://www.wkyc.com/weather/severe_weather/cancellations_closing
Artrain
Eternally lazy

PostSubject: Re: NO WORLD CUP THREAD!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!?!   Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:46 am

Jolteon wrote:
Cool!, GO GERMANY! Or wait even better, GO ALL WHITES!
lol The All Whites have their match tomorrow against Slovakia. I'll update you about what happened in it if you are unable to watch it.

Cold Stinks wrote:
Yeah Artrain,.. -__- I know Germans are too good for Australia but like I said, It's NOT OVER yet. GO SOCCEROOS!!!!!!! Awesome
No its definitely not over, but Serbia and Ghana aren't very easy opponents. Ghana has already won their first match against Serbia, and Australia have lost their best player, Tim Cahill, due to a red card. If the Socceroos want to qualify now, they should be looking at winning both their next games which could be tough without Cahill...

I am such a post-wh*re and I am proud of it.

PostSubject: Re: NO WORLD CUP THREAD!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!?!   Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:40 pm

Umm.... Ar...... I don't have a method of watching them so could you please?

Artrain
Eternally lazy

PostSubject: Re: NO WORLD CUP THREAD!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!?!   Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:07 am

Yup, sure.

Alright, now yesterday's update. The first good one was Netherlands vs Denmark. Netherlands were missing Robben, but they still have other quality players like Sneijder, Van der Vaart, Van Bommel, Van Persie and all the other 'Vans' except Van Helsing. It was a pretty tight game. The Danish were decently good, but they fell down due to an unfortunate own goal, and then another one Dirk Kuyt scored right near the end of the match. The Dutch won 2-0 but it wasn't too convincing.

Later on it was Italy vs Paraguay. I must say during the starting half an hour I was impressed with the way Italy was playing. It was totally different when I had seen them last time in the confederation's cup, where they had played defensively and then breaking on counter-attacks. This Italy was... flashy. The were dribbling through Paraguayan midfielders, making slick back-heel passes... it was almost like watching Brazil of the older times. But the Paraguayan defense held strong.

The match ended in 1-1 draw, but what told was that Paraguay are playing well enough to be difficult to beat down, and they managed some good scoring opportunities themselves. What it tells about Italy is that they are not as defensive minded as they were before, but unfortunately they lack quality in the final third.

Anyways, both of these are going to be opponents for the All Whites next, and they look very strong. I hope New Zealand has prepared hard otherwise these two look the strongest contenders to progressing the group stage...

PostSubject: Re: NO WORLD CUP THREAD!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!?!   Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:57 am

Hmmm.... Hard competition? That is usually where we bite hard, Rugby and Sailing, dunno about Soccer though...... Update me after they play will you?

Artrain
Eternally lazy

PostSubject: Re: NO WORLD CUP THREAD!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!?!   Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:24 pm

Jolteon wrote:
Hmmm.... Hard competition? That is usually where we bite hard, Rugby and Sailing, dunno about Soccer though...... Update me after they play will you?
Hey good news, the All Whites managed to get back a goal right at the very end of the match, so was all level with 1-1 the final score. In the groups table all the four teams have one point. If New Zealand manage one win against Paraguay or Italy, they will go through most probably.

The second match was Portugal vs Ivory Coast today. Ended in a 0-0 draw. Both teams had equal possession, no one was good enough to finish when they had a chance. Cristiano Ronaldo didn't feature at all for Portugal. Deco was much better. Ivory Coast saw the return of their ace striker Drogba in the 60th minute which would be good news for them. They looked better than Portugal to be honest. Even without Drogba...

PostSubject: Re: NO WORLD CUP THREAD!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!?!   Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:50 pm

Ok forgive my ignorance, what does a draw mean?

Artrain
Eternally lazy

PostSubject: Re: NO WORLD CUP THREAD!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!?!   Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:00 pm

It means they scored the same number of goals. It means they each get one point. A win gets you 3 points, and a defeat gets you zero points. One point is better than zero. All they have to do now, it try and win one game and they will have total of four points, which should see them through to the next round.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT: Er what be the date today? *scratches head* Urm yes, 17th June.

So an update about the important matches.

Brazil vs North Korea firstup. Pretty standard performance from Brazil. They haven't changed since the Confederation's Cup. Strong defense. There were a few ups and downs like Robinho's form seemes to have improved significantly, and Kaka didn't play as much as I would have liked, but he'll probably get settled in the next few games.

North Korea looked good though. They managed to hold their own against one of the favourites of the tournament. They even managed to score a goal. *laughs* They celebrated as if they had won the match when they scored, even though Brazil were 2-1 up. I guess managing to get a goal against tough opponents like Brazil was more joyous for them than anything else. Brazil won the game 2-1 like I said, but N Korea getting a goal raised doubts about Dunga's style of play.

Nextup Spain vs Switzerland. The biggest upset of the tournament so far. Switzerland won 1-0. Spain were shell shocked when the Swiss scored. As if a bomb had busted beneath their arse. They had maintain almost 66-70% possession throughout out the game. Having that much possession of the ball and not scoring anything was a devastating result. Fernando Torres didn't start the match, but he had to be brought on after the Swiss scored in the 50th-60th minute. He really looks like El Nino with his newest haircut.

As expected, the Spanish side was all about passing and possession, but as I had feared, all they were doing was kicking the ball to each other like it was some sorta practice match. You can't score goals just by keeping the ball, you gotta make use of it. They should learn something from the Germans. Another worry for the Spanish is that Andres Iniesta had to be substituted with an injury. They'll have to hope he recovers fast.

Swiss though will be over the moon with this result in their bags. A win against Spain! The top contenders for the World Cup! A draw now and they would probably be through to the next round. Good for them I guess...

PostSubject: Re: NO WORLD CUP THREAD!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!?!   Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:43 pm

Wowzer! Me wants more updates please!

It the 18th not 17th.

Oh and Ar, thanks for being able to relay the info to us.

Artrain
Eternally lazy

PostSubject: Re: NO WORLD CUP THREAD!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!?!   Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:48 am

Jolteon wrote:
Wowzer! Me wants more updates please!
Yay! You shall have 'em.
Jolteon wrote:

It the 18th not 17th.
:O *checks watch* No today is 18th. You are a day ahead on me. Razz
Jolteon wrote:

Oh and Ar, thanks for being able to relay the info to us.
lol, mine pleasure.

Okay, so the first of the group matches are now over. Two more rounds of these group clashes and we shall be heading to the knockout rounds. So now the matches I'm going to tell about are of the second round of Group Stage.

First match was between South Africa and Uruguay. Both the teams had drawn in their previous matches. This time though, both of them were looking for the win. I cannot tell much about the match since I did not see it full, but Uruguay were all over the S. African's backs, constantly pressing South Africa, trying to get them to make a mistake which they could capitalize on, breaking play quickly when the S. Africans had the ball; and near the end of first half, it finally 'bore fruit' as they say. Diego Forlan of Uruguay scored a brilliant long range goal and gave Uruguay the deserved lead.

They continued the pressure when they came out in the second half and the match ended with Uruguay winning 3-0 over S.A. That is probably it for the hosts now. The chance of S.A. going any further is very minimal.
----------

Next one was between Argentina and South Korea. Both the teams had won their previous matches, so it was expected to be a good game, and it really did turn out to be a very good game, but only for Argentina. For South Korea, it was horror show. The way Argentina performed was almost level with the way the Germans had performed. It was full on attack from Argentina. Messi was creating chances like mad, but unfortunately he did not get any goal himself.

The start of the match was Argentina's Gonzalo Higuain, scoring the first hat trick of the World Cup. No need to tell you that he was over the moon. He now becomes the top scorer of the World Cup, for now at least.

South Korea did get their own chance when an Argentine defender made a horrible mistake and some Korean player (don't remember his name. Something like Lee Chong Yoong, or Soong Lang Toong, or Lung Chong Loong, or Boong Bang Boong. Those are not real names mind you. I made them up. Thats what they sounded like anyways -__-) , well so S. Korea got a goal of their own, but it was only a consolation.

The game ended with Argentina winning 4-1, and totally riding high. They have now won both of their starting group games and will get through to the next round.
----------

Finally France vs Mexico. The all important clash for both teams. A loss for either team would have meant that the chances of going into the knockout round was almost negligible.

Both the sides started pretty positively, trying to breach the others defense, but it was the Mexicans who started to take control of the game later on. Created chance after chances. Their two young forwards, Carlos Vela and Giovanni Dos Santos, were breaking through French defense like nothing. Unfortunately, even though they broke through the French time and again, their finishing was very poor and did not manage to trouble the French goalkeeper much.

By the end of half time, even if the score was 0-0, it was clear to see that the Mexicans were playing too well. For all of the French star cast, they weren't able to make a single decent threat to the Mexico. It seemed more of the question as to when will the Mexicans score, than whether. When the chance finally came, Hernandez, who had come on as a substitute, made a great run bamboozling the French defense, dodged the French goal keeper, and scored easily in an open goal.

That was it for the French. They tried to get back in the game, but weren't even able to make a run of decent passes going. And the Mexicans did not stop attacking. France's hopes ended when Mexico were handed a penalty kick following a totally mistimed tackle by a French defender on a Mexican forward. It was 2-0 for Mexico. All they had to do now was hold on for ten minutes before the game ended, and they were able to do that.

There was a lotta support in the crowd for Mexico and they went bonkers when the match ended. It was the first time ever that Mexico had beaten France. The crowds cheering was so loud, they even drowned the noise of the notorious vuvuzelas horns, which was great to see. All Mexico need now is another draw in their final game and they will cement their place in the next round.

Thas it for today ladies and gentlemen. Thank you for watching Soccer News... Razz

PostSubject: Re: NO WORLD CUP THREAD!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!?!   Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:46 am

Cool so let me get this straight,

S Africa-Uruguay=Uruguay

Argentina-South Korea=Argentina

France-Mexico=Mexico

That a right?

Me thinks this is turning out very very interesting.

Artrain
Eternally lazy

PostSubject: Re: NO WORLD CUP THREAD!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!?!   Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:15 am

Yup, you got it right. I will put up the group tables and scores of all the teams when all group matches are over.

Alright then continuing... Bad day yesterday. None of the big guns fired.

Germany vs Serbia: It was do or die for the Serbs. If they lost this one they would be out of the tournament. Germany must have been full of confidence after their 4-0 thrashing of Australia (sorry GG Razz), but it all faltered when the referee started to flash out cards like mad! Yellow card for a clip on the boot! Yellow card for tackle from behind! Yellow card for crashing into the opponent! Yellow card for slightly mistiming a sliding tackle! Yellow card for delaying play! Soon the inevitable happened. A German picked up two yellow cards and was sent of. Unfortunately, he was their current top scorer. Germany were reduced to 10 men right in the early stages of the game.

Two minutes after that, Serbia scored. It seemed that the Serbs had been inspired by Switzerland's tactics against the Spanish, and were playing similarly. Extremely defensive, and trying to break on the counters.

All Germany could do after that was 'throw caution to the wind' and keep on attack. Unfortunately, it was not their day. Lukas Podolski had 3-4 brilliant chances that he should have scored from but he missed. The Serbs were somehow holding Germany out until the unthinkable happened for them. A Serbian defender handled the ball in his 18 yard box. Germany were handed a penalty! Lukas Podolski came forward to take that and try and finally put Germany level... and he missed! He missed a bloodeeh penalty!

All in all, very bad day for Germany. Serbs held their lead right until the end, beating Germany 1-0. Darn referee.
-----------

England vs Algeria: Another horror show for England. I could literally copy paste the same things I had said about them in their match against USA. No team work. No formation. Players were all over the place. Whenever the Algerians had the ball, the English just stood back and watched as their opponents ran around and made fools outta them. Defenders had to work overtime. They couldn't get the passes going on. They were like lumbering giants. There was no swiftness... no aggression.

Algeria were much better side. They were quick, they were fluid, they were passing the ball well, they were closing down the English when they did not have the ball, they were very well organised defensively, their midfield players linked together nicely. Only thing that stopped the Algerians from winning was that they did not have any decent striker. But what they did do was stop the English from scoring as well.

Fulltime, England 0 - Algeria 0. If England want to go through now, they will have to win their next match against Slovenia (who play better than the Algerians mind you) by large number of goals just to be sure.
----------

Thas it for now. Not much good matches today except Netherlands vs Japan. If either team wins, they will progress to next round. Oh and there is Australia vs Ghana. If the Aussies lose, they are out of the World Cup...

PostSubject: Re: NO WORLD CUP THREAD!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!?!   Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:24 am

Eh..... Bad news all round right?

Artrain
Eternally lazy

PostSubject: Re: NO WORLD CUP THREAD!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!?!   Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:32 am

Yup. Bad news for the so called 'big' teams.

I didn't see any of the matches yesterday, but I'll update on the scores. Netherlands won 1-0 against Japan and they are now through into the next round.

Australia could only draw against Ghana 1-1, and now it looks like very small hope for the Aussies qualifying for quarter finals.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit: 21/06/2010

Back with new and boring updates. Please enjoy your nap while pretending to read Razz

Italia vs New Zealand: Good noos Zach! New Zealand managed to hold Italy off and draw against them! Unbelievable. The reigning world champions, Italy, held by a new comer team like New Zealand! The All Whites were over the moon with the result. Two draws now, if they can get one win against Paraguay, they could go through into the next round!

Disaster for Italy though. They are now in danger of being eliminated in the Group stages itself. That would be some story. World Champions, out in group stages. The media would tear them apart. They have to win with a good margin over Slovakia next to make sure they qualify.

It all ended in 1-1 though it was just as possible that it could have been a victory for New Zealand since Italy's only goal came from a rather cheap penalty kick handed by the ref.
----------

Brazil vs Ivory Coast: Turned out a very good game this. Both teams made a slight touchy start, but as the game progressed Brazil were clearly taking control. They were too strong defensively and were breaking their opponents attacks easily. Some brilliance from Kaka and Luis Fabiano gave Brazil an early lead, and they didn't look back. They held Ivory Coast back for the first half without much problem.

Then started the second half. Brazil started calmly enough and then suddenly, out of nothing, Luis Fabiano produced a stunning goal where he beat three defenders and then the keeper. Closer look revealed that it had two hand-balls from him, but the ref didn't see that and the goal was allowed to stand. 2-0 for Brazil and that was the end for Ivory Coast. The second goal gave unbelievable confidence to the Brazilians and they turned up the heat, making one touch passes that were so quick that all that the Ivory Coast players could do was turn their heads and watch. Soon enough, they scored the third goal from a fantastic cross by Kaka. "The Brazilians are teaching them how to play football" said the commentator and how true it was.

In a rare moment of counter-attack from Ivory Coast, their start striker Didier Drogba managed to make a good run breaking the Brazilian defense and was able head a goal to give the Africans some consolation. The match was concluded by some disgusting play acting by an Ivory Coast player and resulting into Kaka getting sent off for no reason. So the end result was Brazil 3 - Ivory coast 1, and now we have to wait and see if FIFA has got enough brains to revoke Kaka's card.
------

I'm too bored to type out the other results right now. Will do that tomorrow. End of newsflash... *yawns*

Programmer
Programmer

PostSubject: Re: NO WORLD CUP THREAD!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!?!   Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:08 am

Hmm, from what I have seen from Brazil, they are a good team. I have never heard of Ivory coast though, which I am giggling about.
Back to top Go down
Artrain
Eternally lazy

PostSubject: Re: NO WORLD CUP THREAD!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!?!   Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:57 am

Feraligatr wrote:
Hmm, from what I have seen from Brazil, they are a good team.
Yup ^_^
Feraligatr wrote:

I have never heard of Ivory coast though, which I am giggling about.
Er... okay... Suspect

Seeing as I have so many avid readers who just can't wait for my new updates, I'm deciding to hurry up with my next ones Razz

Portugal vs North Korea: A lot was expected from this match. North Korea had faced Brazil in their previous match and they had played better than anyone had expected. They even managed to score a goal against a resolute Brazilian defense. It was all lost though, when Portugal decided to show some flair. The first half was decent for Korea. They conceded a goal, but managed to stay in the game, and create few chances of their own. Ronaldo looked totally lost in the first half. Unable to create anything much for Portugal.

Second half started and it was "off with his head" for North Korea. After ten minutes, Portugal scored the second goal. Then a few minutes after that, they scored another; and few minutes after that, another; a few minutes after that, another... well you get what I'm saying don't you? The N. Korean defense was ripped to shreds. Its goal keeper was made to be a mere watcher, flapping his arms about, trying to hold onto the ball, but clutching thin air. Poor guy.

It ended in a demolition, and Portugal scoring their highest ever World Cup win, 7-0, over North Korea. For North Korea, its all over. Hope they have a good flight home.
----------

Spain vs Honduras: It was do or die for Spain, and thankfully, they did. Beat Honduras that is. They took the game by the scruff of its neck right from the beginning. Created chance after chance to score a goal, and David Villa finally succeeded with what I think was the best goal in the tournament so far.

Honduras were totally humbled. Through out the match Spain kept of getting opportunities like mad, it was a wonder they only managed to score two goals. Something that is bound to concern the Spanish coach. They even managed to miss a penalty.

But they managed a win, which should be good enough news for the Spanish fans. Another convincing win over Chile and they will go through. Fulltime score, Spain 2 - Honduras 0.
----------

So now the second of the group matches are also over. The final matches will be held today, tomorrow and the day after; then we'll know which teams go through into the quarter finals... *falls asleep*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit: *wakes up*

Alrighty, the Group A matches are done with and here's how the table looks:
GF- Goals For GA- Goals Against GD- Goal difference

Group A
Pos Team Name Points Wins Draws Losses GF GA GD
1. Uruguay 7 2 1 0 4 0 4
2. Mexico 4 1 1 1 3 2 1
3. South Africa 4 1 1 1 3 5 -2
4. France 1 0 1 2 1 3 -2

Uruguay and Mexico go through into the next round. South Africa and France head home. Well France head home; South Africa are already home Razz France team is going to be murdered by their media methinks.

P.S. This creating a table is bloodeeh exhausting... :S

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit: 23/06/2010

Group B

Pos Team Name Points Wins Draws losses GF GA GD
1. Argentina 9 3 0 0 7 1 6
2. South Korea 4 1 1 1 5 6 -1
3. Greece 3 1 0 2 2 5 -3
4. Nigeria 1 0 1 2 3 5 -2

So Argentina going through easily, winning all three group matches, followed by South Korea. Greece and Nigeria are knocked out...
Edit: 24/06/2010

Alright, yesterday was do or die for two big teams, England and Germany. Only a win would guarantee their place in the final sixteen, and this it what it looked like at the end...

Group C

Pos. Team Name Points Wins Draws Losses GF GA GD
1. United States of America 5 1 2 0 4 3 1
2. England 5 1 2 0 2 1 1
3. Slovenia 4 1 1 1 3 3 0
4. Algeria 1 0 1 2 0 2 -2

USA and England go through. The US lead the table on 'Goals For'. England come in second position. Slovenia, hwo had been leading the table until yesterday's matehces, have to return home; and so do the Algerians.

Group D

1. Germany 6 2 0 1 5 1 4
2. Ghana 4 1 1 1 2 2 0
3. Australia 4 1 1 1 3 6 -3
4. Serbia 3 1 0 2 2 3 -1

Thats how Group D table looks like. Germany qualify on top, which they have been doing in every single world cup since thirty of forty odd years; they are followed by Ghana, which might be the only African team to go through into the quarter finals. Australia, despite their same number of points as Ghana, are out because they have an inferiour Goal Difference. Serbia also wave their goodbyes...
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit: Same day.

Group F

1. Paraguay 5 1 2 0 3 1 2
2. Slovakia 4 1 11 4 5 -1
3. New Zealand 3 0 3 0 2 2 0
4. Italy 2 0 2 1 4 5 -1

The reigning world champions are out! Finish bottom of the table after being beaten 3-2 by Slovakia, who go through into the next round with Paraguay. Incredible game. Slovakia started controlling the game right from the start and then stunned the former World Champions by taking the lead. Slovakia controlled right through the first half.

The Italian manager made some substitutions in the second half, hoping that they would be enough to make Italy turn the table, but then disaster struck and Slovakia scored again! It was looking hopeless for Italy until their striker finally managed to convert the opportunity and give some hopes for Italy right in the last ten minutes, but then another shocker was sent their way when Slovakia scored for the third time.

The Slovakia fans started breathing again, but that too ended when Italy scored the second goal in added time. But alas for the Azzuri, the added time was not enough. Slovakia were able to hold on to the lead in a game that went to the wire right until the last second. Amazing stuff.

So now both of the last years finalists, France and Italy, are out of the tournament. New Zealand could have gone through would they have been able to nick a goal against Paraguay, but the South Americans held their defensive lines strong. So we have the second stunner of the World Cup where Paraguay and Slovakia advance, and New Zealand and Italy are eliminated...

Edit: 25/06/2010

Group E

1. Netherlands 9 3 0 0 5 1 4
2. Japan 6 2 0 1 4 2 2
3. Denmark 3 1 0 2 3 6 -3
4. Cameroon 0 0 0 3 2 5-3

Comfortable victories for Netherlands and Japan see them through into the last sixteen, while dissapointment for Denmark who lost to the Japanese, and Cameroon who finish without a single point.

Final two groups remain which will be put up later today...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit: 26/06/2010

Well the Group stages are finally over and I'm putting the last two table up:

Group G
1. Brazil 7 2 1 0 5 2 3
2. Portugal 5 1 2 0 7 0 7
3. Côte d’Ivoire 4 1 1 1 4 3 1
4. North Korea 0 0 0 3 1 12 -11

As expected, Brazil and Portugal go through, Ivory Coast and North Korea don't.

Group H

1. Spain 6 2 0 1 4 2 2
2. Chile 6 2 0 1 3 2 1
3. Switzerland 4 1 1 1 1 1 0
4. Honduras 1 0 1 2 0 3 -3

Spain managed to get a win and go thorugh into the next round along with Chile, who were fortunate to know that Switzerland couldn't beat Honduras.

So all the tables are up, and you can see which 16 teams are going through into the quarter finals. Now begin the more exciting knockout rounds. Any team that loses in these heads home.

P.S. Someone better post something, I don't want to continue explaining the knockout round matches in the same post... -__-'

Programmer
Programmer

PostSubject: Re: NO WORLD CUP THREAD!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!?!   Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:21 am

Brazil and Portugal might be an interesting game to watch, they are very good teams from what I have seen.
Back to top Go down
Sophia
Guitar God
Guitar God

PostSubject: Re: NO WORLD CUP THREAD!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!?!   Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:47 am

I am really annoyed that my post didn't post *calms self down*
Okay i'm just gonna try and type it again.

I was pretty shocked about there being no world cup thread either...this sport is so underappreaciated by those outside England, glad to see someone is interested though. *basks in awe of one who is far more informed about all this than I am*

Well lets see, I'm really glad Italy are out. It's pretty funny cos I hate them a great deal. Don't ask for a reasonable explanation other than that the whole team are a bit pratty. And also that I really wanted France to win the last World Cup and for Zidane to be remembered for that victory rather than well...what he is remembered for now. Enough said. So I'm glad they're gone.

Shocked that England made it past the group stages really, everyone was ecstatic at their victory against Slovenia but I didn't think it was anything special. Yes, far far better than their first two games but still not on par with other teams that qualified, which is why I think they may well be annihalated by Germany tomorrow.

Also rather suprised at America's playing this year because let's face it till now they were always a bit of a joke when it came to football. They deserved to get through I think though. I was enraged at the disallowed goal in their last game but thankfully Landon Donovan came through for them literally in the last minute. I was impressed actually. But I've been going on about how great a player he is since America's first game against us.

Can't remember what else I talked about last time I'm afraid...

Oh, and Ar who are you supporting? I have no sense of partriotism anymore, I love Argentina though - because of the brilliance that is Messi. I think maybe Spain, Portugal or germany have a good shot at winning.

I'll be more comprehensive later but right now...too well lazy I guess. Glad you made this topic by the way Smile
Back to top Go down
Artrain
Eternally lazy

PostSubject: Re: NO WORLD CUP THREAD!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!?!   Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:52 pm

Feraligatr wrote:
Brazil and Portugal might be an interesting game to watch, they are very good teams from what I have seen.
Yeah, but sadly when they played in their final group stage match, they both knew that they were through. There was nothing to play for, so they drew it out 0-0. It was one of the most boring games you could have seen. Maybe if they meet in the knockout rounds, then things will be interesting.

Sophia wrote:
I am really annoyed that my post didn't post *calms self down*
Okay i'm just gonna try and type it again.
Sorry Sophia, and thanks for putting it up twice.

Sophia wrote:

I was pretty shocked about there being no world cup thread either...this sport is so underappreaciated by those outside England,
*whispers* Its them Americans Razz

Sophia wrote:

glad to see someone is interested though. *basks in awe of one who is far more informed about all this than I am*
Glad to see that someone shares my interest Worship

Sophia wrote:

Well lets see, I'm really glad Italy are out. It's pretty funny cos I hate them a great deal. Don't ask for a reasonable explanation other than that the whole team are a bit pratty. And also that I really wanted France to win the last World Cup and for Zidane to be remembered for that victory rather than well...what he is remembered for now. Enough said. So I'm glad they're gone.
I agree. They were once the most talented football team, with unbelievable technical skills, and yet had to resort to the brat Materazzi's knowledge of provocative curses to bail them out. Zidane deserved much more than what he is remembered for now. Now they do not even have half the talent that they possessed before. No promising youngsters that they could look forward to, to help them get the World Cup, or any other trophy for that matter. I'd love to see what La Gazetta Dello Sport has to say about their former wold champions now.

Sophia wrote:

Shocked that England made it past the group stages really, everyone was ecstatic at their victory against Slovenia but I didn't think it was anything special. Yes, far far better than their first two games but still not on par with other teams that qualified, which is why I think they may well be annihalated by Germany tomorrow.
Yes, England did seem to get back some of the discipline that they were missing. Perhaps it was because of the addition of Gareth Barry who plays in defensive-midfield role. But they are still way off from being decent contenders. Why Capello plays Emile Heskey, I do not know for the life of me.

Their main problem seems to be that they have no quickness. Lumber around with slow and long strides. USA and Algeria were moving too swiftly for them. They didn't close their opponents down at all, just stood their ground hoping that the opposition would run into them and then they can get the ball off. Probably should take some lessons from the Spanish in the art of closing down.

Finally, they are not convincing going forward either. I guess Rooney musta had a lotta flak by now. Its not that he is missing too many chances, its just that he isn't even featuring too much in the game. Forwards need to get into positions which can serve them goals, and he isn't doing that.

About them getting annihilated by Germany... I'm not very sure about that. I will be supporting the Germans, but their level of football has dropped down since their first match.
Sophia wrote:

Also rather suprised at America's playing this year because let's face it till now they were always a bit of a joke when it came to football. They deserved to get through I think though. I was enraged at the disallowed goal in their last game but thankfully Landon Donovan came through for them literally in the last minute. I was impressed actually. But I've been going on about how great a player he is since America's first game against us.
I was surprised as well last year when they went all the way up to the finals in the Confederation's Cup. Their strength is their ability to play as a team, their goal keeper, Landon Donovan, and Clint Dempsey. I think if they had any decent strikers, they would be a very strong team, but the don't. Its the midfielders like Donovan and Dempsey who have to bail them out.

Donovan is definitely good. Reminds me a bit of Andres Iniesta of Spain. Is very good at passing, through balls, crosses, corners, freekicks and finishing. But they rely on him too much.

Unfortunately, USA are out now. Beaten by Ghana.

Sophia wrote:

Can't remember what else I talked about last time I'm afraid...
Don't worry bout it, I'll probably bug you to post again when I get tired of editing the same post. Razz

Sophia wrote:

Oh, and Ar who are you supporting? I have no sense of partriotism anymore, I love Argentina though - because of the brilliance that is Messi. I think maybe Spain, Portugal or germany have a good shot at winning.
I have no reason of being patriotic, and even if I did, I think I'd enjoy the football more, so wouldn't necessarily stick with my country either. There are quite a few teams which I'd like to win, mostly because I like certain players in those teams.

Firstly Brazil. Already told you; like Kaka too much. But to be honest, I'm doubtful of whether they have it this time to win it. They depend totally on Kaka, and sometimes on Robinho to create something. I wish Dunga had brought on Ronaldinho. He has lost his former pace, but has made up by sharpening his passing skills. His ability to deliver through balls is amazing! But, well, he's not on, so no point dreaming.

Second would be Spain. When they turn up the heat, they play the most fantastic football. They are the only team who haven't received a yellow card yet in the World Cup yet which is incredible statistic. Bad thing is, their strikers don't seem to be in good form. Torres, who I personally think is the best in the world, isn't playing half as good as he can (perhaps his talent was in his hair Razz); David Villa is scoring some of the spectacular goals of the tournament, and then is missing some of the lamest of chances. I think they hold on to the ball to much without doing anything with it. But there's still hope for them.

Then there is Germany. Impossible not to include after the kind of start they made. I seriously think if they are able to revive that kind of form again, then they will have no problem winning the whole thing, but it seems to be fading a bit now. I started following Germany because Bastian Schweinsteiger and Lukas Podolski are some of the best players in their positions. The problem with Germany is that the responsibility of midfielding seems to be resting on Schweinsteiger alone (Man, typing that name is tiring!), and he gets overrun and out numbered most of the times.

Also like watching Argentina because Messi is simply priceless. The runs that he makes at the defense are mesmerizing. Also his shooting is very good. Hope he finally gets a goal and puts the pressure off.

England I only support because I totally admire Steven Gerrard. But when they play badly like they did in first two games, then I start hoping that they lose. Razz

Sophia wrote:

I'll be more comprehensive later but right now...too well lazy I guess. Glad you made this topic by the way Smile
'M gladder that you posted ^_^

Okay now for today's match updates. These are the final sixteen knockout rounds.

Uruguay vs South Korea: Pretty tight match this. Both teams attacked each other, both teams played well, but finally it was quality on the Uruguayan side that got them through. Suarez with two goals, then second of which was just fantastic; it had so much curve on it that David Beckham would have been proud. Game ended with Uruguay winning 2 goals to 1.

USA vs Ghana: USA looked the better side, creating lots of opportunities, but were unable to finish things off. The only goal they got came from a penalty kick which Donovan took and scored from. Ghana were also decent, and were given the right in the fifth minute. The score was 1-1 by 90 minutes so extra time had to be called for, and then to the American's despair, Ghana got a brilliant goal by Gyan and were able to hold them off for the last 30 minutes.

So Uruguay, and Ghana go into the quarter finals; South Korea and USA wave goodbyes...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit 28/06/2010

Germany vs England: Awesome match Awesome ! At the start everything looked pretty level. Both the teams were playing tentatively; England looked as disciplined as the English supporters would have wanted them to look, but then the cracks showed. An unbelievable ball from the German goalkeeper Neuer's goal kick fell straight onto the chest of Miroslav Klose, who had made a perfect run, and he got past the defender and chipped the ball past the English goalkeeper for their first goal. 'Twas a disaster for English defense. The defender who should have got onto the ball, Upson, looked totally lost in his positioning, and so did their goalkeeper David James, who tried to come on and grab the ball at first, but then changed his mind and tried to stop Klose's shot, and failed pathetically at that.

Suddenly the Germans started to play with self belief. Making perfect passes and slitting the English defense with forward runs and precise through balls. Soon enough they got another chance and Lukas Podolski scored a quality goal from an extremely narrow angle making the score line 2-0.

Finally it looked like the English had woken up. They started trying to create opportunities for themselves, and when one came up, they scored from very good freekick delivered by Gerrard and headed in goal by Upson. They had come back into the game. They started pressing even harder and it looked like salvation had come for both England and Frank Lampard (who has miserable record not managing to score in World Cups), when he hit the crossbar and the ball went in and over the goal line and then came out again, but it was ruled out! The goal wasn't given because neither the referee, not the linesman saw it go over the line. Embarrassing really. Well England continued to pressure the Germans in the first half, and the Germans looked a bit rattled and stayed back and held onto the lead till half time whistle.

I don't know what the German coach fed them in half time, but when they came out, they started playing with their former confidence. England had to keep pressing Germany, and they started to do that, but then the Germans taught the English the art of counter-attacking. It was beautiful. Two goals for the Germans withing four minutes. Both scored by Thomas Muller; one assisted by Schweinsteiger, other came of a cross from Oezil who made a great run all the way down the wing, and whose pace could not be matched by the English. The English defense was torn apart. James looked very average in goal. I had hoped when Green was left out, that the manager would have enough sense to trust the quality of Joe Hart in goal, because he is truly looking like he would be one of the best goalkeepers in the world; but he was left out for his youth. I really think Hart could have stopped one or two of the goals which the Germans scored, but Capello doesn't seem sweet on youngsters, unlike his German counterpart.

Well, the English might complain about the goal which wasn't given, but in the end, they were easily outplayed by the Germans. In fact, after the fourth goal was conceded, they gave up. Fulltime score: Germany 4 - England 1

Argentina vs Mexico: The game looked promising, but it wasn't as good as it could have been. Mexico started with a very well, on the front foot, trying to poke Argentine defense, and their full-back had couple of decent long shots, but then another bad decision by the linesman gave Argentina the lead. Their forward, Carlos Tevez, was clearly offside when he score the goal, but it was not given and the goal was allowed to stand. The Mexicans had a bid row with the linesman and the referee but to no effect. It was pretty clear that they were frustrated. Then the Argentine were gifted another goal by a very sloppy back pass from Mexican defender which was intercepted by Argentina's striker Higuain, who dodged the keeper and scored in an empty net.

After half time, Argentina looked like they wanted to finish the match with a third goal, and they got that with a brilliant shot from Tevez. 3-0 up, and they started to sit back absorbed Mexican pressure. The Mexicans were able to get some consolation when Hernandez scored a good goal, but that was it.
Match finished with Argentina 3 - Mexico 1

So English and Mexican dreams were ended, Rooney didn't score a single goal, Germany and Argentina continue in the quarter finals...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit: 29/06/2010

Netherlands vs Slovakia: This turned out to be pretty average match. Netherlands played like they always do. Tight defense, disciplined midfield, nothing out of the ordinary, passing the ball around, waiting for an opportunity to present itself. They got one when Robben created one for himself and scored from it. After that it was very dull.

Slovakia did not do anything much. Weren't half as aggressive as they should have been. Finally the Dutch were able to score a second and it was all over for Slovakia. They did get a penalty and scored from it, but that was the last action of the game. Final score Netherlands 2 - Slovakia 1

Brazil vs Chile: This promised to be a good match and many thought this was when Brazil would be really tested, but it didn't turn out that way. Chile did make a decent start, but then Brazil got the first goal through a fantastic header and that was it. Brazil continued to defend in depth, breaking down Chilean attacks with ease, and hit them on the break. By the time 45 minutes were over, Brazil were 2-0 up and cruising.

After halftime, some of the same continued. Chile persisted with their attacks, but were unsuccessful, and Brazil got a third. The Chileans kept on pressing right until the last second, which was very commendable of them, but unfortunately they just did not have the quality to finish.
All full time it was Brazil 3 - Chile 0

Netherlands and Brazil progress into the next round. Only two matches remaining in the last 16...

Edit: 30/06/2010

Final two games are over, here are the results:

Paraguay vs Japan: Well, I didn't see this one actually. It promised to be very boring, and thats how it turned out. Both teams canceled each other out. It was 0-0 after full time so extra time had to be called for, and it was 0-0 after extra time too so penalties had to be called for. The first penalty shoot-out of the world cup. The Japanese missed one, the Paraguayans didn't miss any, so Paraguay won 5-3 on penalties.
Fulltime: Paraguay 0 - Japan 0 (5-3 pen)

Spain vs Portugal: Had some good expectations from this game, but it turned out to be a flop. The starting 10-15 minutes were good. Both Spain and Portugal created some good chances, but then it settled into slow mode. Spain kept possession, passed the ball around from midfielders to defenders back to midfielders, then to the strikers who tried to do something, but failed, the Portugal tried to make a break, but the Spanish closed them down, and it repeated all over again... Very boring.

The problem with the Spanish is that they do nothing for themselves. They just keep hold of the ball and hope that the opposition will make a mistake, or a gap will open up which they could exploit. Now that I've seen them for some games, I'm starting to not like their style. What good is keeping hold of the ball if you do not do anything with it? They can send precise passes to fellow players, yet they cannot manage a single decent through ball to provide for their strikers. That is the reason why Fernando Torres hasn't scored. It is the job of the midfielders to try and assist the strikers. Give them through balls, and crosses. Crosses are useless for the Spanish since none of them except for Torres, has any decent heading ability; so it has to be through balls, but they just don't seem to be able to provide good ones. Pass; all they can do is pass. They pass the ball to their strikers when their strikers are surrounded by defenders, and hope that the front men will be able to create something out of nothing. It is good that they have a hard working quality striker like David Villa, otherwise they would not even have gotten past group stages I think.

*sighs* Enough ranting about the Spanish I think. In the end, it was the same old story. David Villa created something from nothing and they scored, and held on to it. Portugal had some decent chances themselves, but weren't able to finish any of them. Ronaldo was terrible. But he was charming enough to spit out at the camera after the end of the match. I'm sure that would have made all the girls go wild -__-'
Final score: Spain 1 - Portugal 0

Thats it then. The last 16 matches are done. Now quarter finals await. So here are the fixtures:

July 2nd: Netherlands vs Brazil
July 2nd: Uruguay vs Ghana

July 3rd: Germany vs Argentina
July 3rd: Paraguay vs Spain

These are the final eight teams. Rest of them go home crying. Make your predictions if you want, and discuss all you like...

Last edited by Artrain on Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:35 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Lone Wolf

PostSubject: Re: NO WORLD CUP THREAD!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!?!   Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:05 am

Well we didn't go home crying.

We never lost a game, but we still went home, our players come home ecstatic that we did so well.

Artrain
Eternally lazy

PostSubject: Re: NO WORLD CUP THREAD!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!?!   Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:44 am

Fallen Rage wrote:
Well we didn't go home crying.

We never lost a game, but we still went home, our players come home ecstatic that we did so well.
That is quite true. I meant those who left after the final sixteen matches. New Zealand players and manager were extremely happy by their performance. Not loosing a single game is an incredible statistic. Plus you have to remember that most of the players on the team are part-time footballers. The fact that they managed to get into the World Cup was in itself amazing, and they did it justice by finishing above the reigning World Champions in the group table. I hope that this gives a boost to the infrastructure of football in your country. If part-time players can do so well, imagine how far they would have went had they been trained full-time! It is definitely something to look forward to for New Zealand...

PostSubject: Re: NO WORLD CUP THREAD!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!?!   Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:17 am

Maybe, Depends if others have the same Idea, Our main sport is Rugby, though I follow Soccer more.

I wish our Soccer team was as well known as our rugby team........

Great Pharoah Ramses II
Half-Wit Programmer
Half-Wit Programmer

PostSubject: Re: NO WORLD CUP THREAD!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!?!   Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:14 pm

Well, this world cup is turning out to be quite an interesting one. Never before have I seen so many dominant teams get knocked out early on. France and Italy didn't even make it past Group, USA, England, and Portugal lost in Round of 16. And then the Dutch defeat Brazil!!?!?!? First time Brazil has EVER lost a world cup match after leading the first half!!

What the Hell is Going On!?!?! I like the Dutch team, but I really wish Brazil had advanced, even though their second half play was terrible after the first accidental goal by Sneijder (who is totally awesome btw).

I'm begging Germany to win it, with a Germany vs. Netherlands Final. Netherlands are going to pulverize Uruguay and Ghana (whichever gets to Semi, it doesn't matter), and Germany will almost certainly defeat Argentina. Argentina is just too inconsistent to have any real shot at winning. I'm not sure how well Spain will fare against either Germany, Netherlands, or Argentina, but I have little doubt that they will crush Paraguay. And, frankly, Spain is home to some of the best players in the world right now--Sergio Ramos (perhaps the greatest full-back/defensive player i have ever seen), David Villa (who seems to be at his prime right now), Torres (Like C. Ronaldo, disappointing performance, but mostly because of poor crosses and through balls...lots of potential),...

And, Ar, while I absolutely agree with your above assessment of Spain, I think we have still yet to see Spain in full form (just like the Dutch). If they cannot come into form by the semi-final match, they're screwed. Germany is just too dominant. They've been dominant since their first match and will most likely continue to be. I'm interested to see how they deal with South American Joga style play, perhaps Argentina can pull it out, but I think Germany is going to win that match.

Besides, I kinda want Klose to get to at least get to Ronaldo's world cup goal scoring record (15 I think). He's at 12 right now.....I think.

Also, Podolski has really yet to put his Left foot into action, but when he does, he's a force to be reckoned with.
Back to top Go down
http://www.schoolsforhumanity.org
Thorned Hope
I Like Cheese

PostSubject: Re: NO WORLD CUP THREAD!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!?!   Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:10 pm

Okkk...Im gona butt in here for a while..this ends when? July 11th? 10th? somewhere there?

Im actually suprised on how your guys posts are long. And its about soccer. Wow.
Back to top Go down
Artrain
Eternally lazy

PostSubject: Re: NO WORLD CUP THREAD!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!?!   Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:01 am

Great Pharaoh Ramses wrote:
Well, this world cup is turning out to be quite an interesting one. Never before have I seen so many dominant teams get knocked out early on. France and Italy didn't even make it past Group, USA, England, and Portugal lost in Round of 16.
You posted! cheers Yup this is turning out to be very unusual world cup. So many top teams out of it.

France, you could understand. They never really looked like they were a bit dangerous. They were too bogus going forward, and Ribery went largely unnoticed. I always thought they should have played Cisse up top. He has great pace and decent finishing, and has the capability to trouble defenses with his runs. But they stuck with Anelka, who is frankly only good because his Chelsea team mates are good with their support to him.

Italy it seemed was resting too much hopes on De Rossi and Iaquinta. While the former fired a bit, the later was largely disappointing. Pepe was decent on the wing, but Italy's lack of quality strikers was their undoing I think. Cannavaro was not half as good as he should have been.

USA, I could understand. They had outdone themselves by reaching the final 16 on top of their group. Thing is though, for them to be any sort of contenders, then need more quality players. Right now, everything rests on Donovan, Dempsey and their keeper Tim Howard. Their style of play is very good, but they need a quality striker up front.

England were the shockers. They seemed so confident going into the world cup. Their coach sported an arrogant look on his face which said, "I eat World Cups for breakfast!", and the whole English supporters believing that this would indeed be their time, with Rooney, Lampard, Lennon, Milner, Gerrard, Barry, Cole, Terry, Glen Johnson hitting top form and Carragher coming out of retirement, and them winning many of their games prior to the Cup... But sadly the misfired right from the start. Looked lost to be honest.

Portugal... *grins is anticipation*... were rubbish. Dunno how they managed to get number 3 on FIFA rankings. With Ronaldo on the left wing looking more stale than month old bread. It was because of a hard working defense and some good goal keeping that they managed to get into the last 16. The great Ronaldo was unable to create anything for anyone. He was too busy trying to show the world how good he could dance on the ball and tried to score from incredible distances, even though his teammates were in better positions than himself. Whenever Portugal got freekicks in good potions, he was always trying to beat the goal keeper by himself, than trying to curl one in for the other players. Now I can understand if he went for goal from something like 20-22 yards out, but trying to score from over 25 yards it utter nonsense. Viceversa, his team mates totally neglected him when they had the ball. No way were they going any further with that attitude.

And then the Dutch defeat Brazil!!?!?!? First time Brazil has EVER lost a world cup match after leading the first half!!

What the Hell is Going On!?!?! I like the Dutch team, but I really wish Brazil had advanced, even though their second half play was terrible after the first accidental goal by Sneijder (who is totally awesome btw).

Brazilian demise yesterday Cry Baby I still can't get over it. Beaten by the Dutch! What the hell?!?! They looked so good in the first half! All they had to do was continue in the second half being a bit more defensively aware, and they would be through, but that did not happen! They were getting frustrated by Arjen Robben's theatrics. He was diving better than Michael Phelps! But both of the goals that the Netherlands scored were due to mistakes in Brazil's defending that you don't expect. What in the wold was Filipe Melo doing blocking the Goal Keeper's way?!?! Why couldn't Julio Cesar scream at him to get his dumb head outta the way?!?! Why were the big Brazilian giants content to watch the ball drift past them onto the head of much tinier Wesley Sneijder during the second goal?!?! It is ironic that the Brazilian team that had sacrificed their flair and natural style of play to strengthen their defense, was undone by two defensive errors.

I'm begging Germany to win it, with a Germany vs. Netherlands Final.
Meeee tooooo! cheers

and Germany will almost certainly defeat Argentina. Argentina is just too inconsistent to have any real shot at winning.
*nods in agreement* Very inconsistent in defense. And I'm sorry to say, but Gonzalo Higuain is not really a top quality striker. Se has scored so many goals because he was provided with very good assists. Tevez and Messi could be a problem though. Di Maria is not half as good as his 40 million dollars tag makes him out to be.

Argentina's strength lies in their ability to attack. They are extremely poor at sitting back and absorbing pressure as was clearly seen in their match against Mexico. And Germany are extremely good at both attacking and especially counter attacking. I have no doubt that Argentina's attempts to score will leave their defense out open and the Germans will strike them down.

What I hope though, is that Germany play with all cylinders firing like they did against Australia and England. If they can manage that, there is no beating them.

I'm not sure how well Spain will fare against either Germany, Netherlands, or Argentina, but I have little doubt that they will crush Paraguay. And, frankly, Spain is home to some of the best players in the world right now--Sergio Ramos (perhaps the greatest full-back/defensive player i have ever seen), David Villa (who seems to be at his prime right now), Torres (Like C. Ronaldo, disappointing performance, but mostly because of poor crosses and through balls...lots of potential),...
I'm not sure if they can do much after beating Paraguay to be honest. I think they will go down very easily against the winners of Germany-Argentina game.

Hmm, Sergio Ramos being the greatest full back? No way dude! He is just a big guy who is fast. His crosses are the best, neither is his defending. Lahm is the greatest fullback ever! He does his defending and yet gets super crosses in. David Villa is their saviour. Had it not been for him, Spain wouldn't even be in the last 16. Torres, I'm praying for, but I do not think he will be able to score any goals with the style of football that the Spanish use. Plus he is out of form, so thats kinda double blow for him. Poor guy. Well there will always be Liverpool for him ^_^

And, Ar, while I absolutely agree with your above assessment of Spain, I think we have still yet to see Spain in full form (just like the Dutch). If they cannot come into form by the semi-final match, they're screwed. Germany is just too dominant. They've been dominant since their first match and will most likely continue to be. I'm interested to see how they deal with South American Joga style play, perhaps Argentina can pull it out, but I think Germany is going to win that match.
I agree. And its interesting that you mention the South American style. I think that if Spain do not hit top form soon, they'll have trouble beating Paraguay itself.

Besides, I kinda want Klose to get to at least get to Ronaldo's world cup goal scoring record (15 I think). He's at 12 right now.....I think.
Yeah he is. He is only two behind Gerd Mueller, Germany's highest World Cup scorer. Not sure how many Luiz Ronaldo has scored though.

Also, Podolski has really yet to put his Left foot into action, but when he does, he's a force to be reckoned with.
Most definitely! I like Podolski more than Klose. He plays on the left wing and yet has scored so many goals for Germany! And he is very young still! And his left foot is thunderous! Rivals that of Thomas 'The Hammer' Hitzlsperger methinks, except he is much more accurate that Hitzlsperger ever was.

Fallen Angel wrote:
Okkk...Im gona butt in here for a while..this ends when? July 11th? 10th? somewhere there?
11th July. Why you bored of it awready? Sad

Fallen Angel wrote:

Im actually suprised on how your guys posts are long. And its about soccer. Wow.
Yup, we love it... ^_^
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit: Few hours later.

Germany is victorious!!! Awesome What eh game!!! The started on the front foot and scored right in the 3rd minute through a Schweinsteiger freekick headed by Mueller. They took control of the game for the first 20 minutes and really should have scored another goal, but didn't. After that, Argentina took hold of the game, trying to bring it onto level terms. Messi was in centre of things, creating opportunities, but they were never really able to breach the German defense. Still they kept pressing and created some tight moments. Germany barely held on as first half ended.

Second half started with the same tempo from Argentina. They were trying hard to get the early equalizer, and German weren't getting too much possession. What the Germans continued to do though was block Argentine attack. Finally in the sixty-somethingth minute, Germany were able to create another attack and Klose scored from a great move involving Mueller and Podolski. After that, Argentina was done. Germany took control of the game again, and when Schweinsteiger made a run passing Argentine defenders like they didn't exist, and laid the ball to his German team mate to tap into goal, it was all over. But the Germans were still not done. In another of a counter attack, Kroos I think supplied Klose with a simple cross and Klose netted his second. Game over. Germany 4 - Argentina 0

Klose now has equaled the legendary Gerd Mueller's record of 14 World Cup goals. He is only one behind Luiz Ronaldo, and the kind of for the German team are looking in, it seems like he should be able to equal Ronaldo and mark his name as the world's top scorer in World Cup finals. Germany have entered the semi-finals with a confidence that seems to grow with every match. Their only concern now is that Thomas Mueller is going to miss the next game; and the fact that Oezil, their creative attacking midfielder, looked tired today. They still look one of the strongest contenders though...

PostSubject: Re: NO WORLD CUP THREAD!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!?!   

Back to top Go down

NO WORLD CUP THREAD!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!?!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top