Battle Zone
We think you should log in. Don't you?

This is the site for everything and anything you want to talk about. Want to discuss the latest games? Done. Want to have fun? Done. This is THE place to have a great time.

HomePortalFAQMemberlistRegisterLog in

Share | 

NO WORLD CUP THREAD!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!?!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Great Pharoah Ramses II
Half-Wit Programmer
Half-Wit Programmer

PostSubject: Re: NO WORLD CUP THREAD!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!?!   Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:09 pm

WOW!!! Shit dude, if Germany plays in the next two games like they just played against Argentina, theiy're gonna win it, hands down. Everybody else should just quit right now. Holy shit!! 4-0 against Argentina? Ii was pegging 3-1 or 2-1, not a total ass-kicking!!

Argentina had some good shots, but Germany's Defense is too good and the goalie is always ready when the defense fails. And Klose was just unstoppable!! He's got 14 goals now!!! Only 1 away from Ronaldo, and 2 away from claiming the title for his own. I hope he gets it. And, I like Podolski as well, but he's not a very well-rounded striker like Klose is, but he's a great wing and has hit some pretty sweet crosses. And, he showed a little of the power in his left foot earlier, but, sadly, was blocked Sad

And, Lahm is great, but Ramos is way better!!! He has a very clean style of oplay that is insanely effective, at least on a defensive end. Lahm's crosses may be better, but he's definitely not the quality defender that Ramos is. He's really good, but Ramos is better Razz

You are absolutely right about Brazil tho. From the get-go, they were playing normally, just normally. Then, they really picked it up against Portugal and then again with Ivory Coast. But, they always lacked that Brzilian Flare and awesomeness. Their teamplay wasn't quite as fluid as expected. Still, most of us thought they were gonna win it... I mean, it's Brazil! But, they would have lost to Germany anyway. But, they shouldn't have lost to the dutch. Their defensive mistakes were costly and sloppy. And, Cesar could have still grabbed, or at least punched, that first ball over Melo's head...if you see the replay.

Anyway, a little late, but just started watching Spain play. Gotta go Razz
Back to top Go down
http://www.schoolsforhumanity.org
Artrain
Eternally lazy

PostSubject: Re: NO WORLD CUP THREAD!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!?!   Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:58 am

Great Pharaoh Ramses wrote:
WOW!!! Shit dude, if Germany plays in the next two games like they just played against Argentina, theiy're gonna win it, hands down. Everybody else should just quit right now. Holy shit!! 4-0 against Argentina? Ii was pegging 3-1 or 2-1, not a total ass-kicking!!
It was beautiful...*transcends to day dreaming*

Argentina had some good shots, but Germany's Defense is too good and the goalie is always ready when the defense fails. And Klose was just unstoppable!! He's got 14 goals now!!! Only 1 away from Ronaldo, and 2 away from claiming the title for his own. I hope he gets it. And, I like Podolski as well, but he's not a very well-rounded striker like Klose is, but he's a great wing and has hit some pretty sweet crosses. And, he showed a little of the power in his left foot earlier, but, sadly, was blocked Sad
Yeah, German defense had a lot of pressure for some part of the game. Neuer was making saves every two-three minutes, but they were easy saves. Mertersacker is amazing in defense though! And so is Lahm! He has saved Germany 3 or 4 times from a certain goal now.

The great thing about Klose is that he is always there at the right place at the right time. Predatory instincts. He is not as good as he was in his early days now, but he still has his pace, and is able to get into super positions. Podolski I like because I think he has a great potential. Frankly, I think if he had been properly trained and used by Bayern Munich, then he would have been a better striker than even Wayne Rooney. And he is very young yet. By the time he reaches Klose's age, he might as well surpass him. But that would be difficult if they keep playing him of left wing. He is still so effective though! And makes assists selflessly. Oh well, no point comparing, they are different sorta players, and each one is great in his own right.

And, Lahm is great, but Ramos is way better!!! He has a very clean style of oplay that is insanely effective, at least on a defensive end. Lahm's crosses may be better, but he's definitely not the quality defender that Ramos is. He's really good, but Ramos is better Razz
No way Ramos is good at defending that Lahm! Okay, he can do headers better than Lahm can because of his height, but Lahm supersedes him in all other departments. Why do ya think Jose Morinho is intent on buying Maicon from Inter than be content with Ramos? Ramos's days on right-fullback are done methinks. He's gonna go back being center-half now.

You are absolutely right about Brazil tho. From the get-go, they were playing normally, just normally. Then, they really picked it up against Portugal and then again with Ivory Coast. But, they always lacked that Brzilian Flare and awesomeness. Their teamplay wasn't quite as fluid as expected. Still, most of us thought they were gonna win it... I mean, it's Brazil! But, they would have lost to Germany anyway. But, they shouldn't have lost to the dutch. Their defensive mistakes were costly and sloppy. And, Cesar could have still grabbed, or at least punched, that first ball over Melo's head...if you see the replay.
True that. They started very averagely, but you could see there was brilliance in them as was shown in the second half of their match against Ivory Coast. They turned it on and all the Ivory Coast players could do was turn their heads and watch as the Brazilians displayed how to play the Joga Bonito. Against Netherlands, it just went wrong in the second half. I wish Elano had been in the side. Dani Alves is truly rubbish in the right wing. He thinks he is some sorta super long shooter and makes ridiculous attempts from ridiculous distances instead of creating anything for his team mates.

That was always going to be the problem for this Brazil side. Their starting 11 were very good, but if anything happened to one of them like Kaka, or Robinho, or Fabiano, or as in this case, Elano, they did not have they similar level of player as a back up. I think they should have stuck up Nilmar instead of Dani Alves. He would have given them some creativity. And again you question Dunga's selection. Leaving out players of the quality of Ronaldinho and Diego... it was insane. Too much depended on the front three players.

I'm still angry at Robben's theatrics though. I hope Netherlands lose to Uruguay. Twisted Evil

Anyway, a little late, but just started watching Spain play. Gotta go Razz
And how bogus it was... Fp Gerry Armstrong summed it up in one sentence: "If they play like that against Germany, they are going to be hammered". They were so unimaginative that I was actually hoping Paraguay to win, and they could have won too! Spain were lucky in the end. I still can't believe that they are keeping Fabregas on the bench. I think they should remove him Sergio Busquets, play Xabi Alonso as a holding midfielder, put Xavi in Xabi Alonso's place as a play maker, and bring on Fabregas to play in Xavi's position. Fabregas has got too much quality and creativity to be left out. In fact, I think he is the only person who could link up with Torres...

Guitar God
Guitar God

PostSubject: Re: NO WORLD CUP THREAD!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!?!   Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:19 pm

Ah I am such a failure. I've been storing up things to say this whole week and now I am too late. Ah well...at least you two know what you're talking about. I just tend to ramble unceromoniously.
Back to top Go down
Artrain
Eternally lazy

PostSubject: Re: NO WORLD CUP THREAD!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!?!   Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:03 pm

Sophia wrote:
Ah I am such a failure. I've been storing up things to say this whole week and now I am too late. Ah well...at least you two know what you're talking about. I just tend to ramble unceromoniously.
Hey its never too late to post your thoughts about football! It doesn't matter whether you want to talk about the very earliest game between South Africa and Mexico, or you want to talk about the games that will come in a few days, the fact that you do have something new to say should be enough for you to put them up. Besides, having additional opinions of different members freshens things up. Its good for everyone. Please put up everything you have been meaning to say. I will definitely read and comment to it as I did earlier. Thanks... Smile

Half-Wit Programmer
Half-Wit Programmer

PostSubject: Re: NO WORLD CUP THREAD!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!?!   Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:05 pm

Lol. Well, Ar, I think Maicon is terribly overrated. Ramos is far superior to Maicon, but why Jose does the things he does, I have no idea Razz

As far as Spain, my thoughts exactly. Spain will be crushed by Germany, absolutely crushed. Their match against Paraguay was actually amazingly entertaining for me simply because it represented a first for both teams (Paraguay never getting to Q-Finals and Spain never getting to S-Finals) as well as the dual penalty kicks!! It was unreal that Casillas was able to block that ball (it was an easy one to block, but no penalty kick is easy), and then paraguay turns right around and gives Spain a penalty!!! WHAT MORONS!!

But, What was even more shocking was that the Idiot Spanish attack crossed the damn box before the kick was made!!! WHAT KIND OF IDIOTS DO THAT!! But, that simply gave the Paraguayan goalie all the information he needed about the spanish kicker (can't remember his name...on the tip of my tongue) to block the second one. AND, WHY THE HELL DID HE KICK IT INTO THE EXACT SAME PLACE!?!?!?!?

Anyway, it was a match of equalizations. But, David Villa's final goal was pretty cool, I must say. I mean, Spain should have advanced, but I wish it was in Penalties at the end or something, so it would go down as a tie in Paraguay's stats.

But, it's going to be a Germany/Netherlands final, of that I am certain.

AND! did you see Suarez block that Ghana goal with his hands?!?!?!? Definitely deserved that Red card, but he should get a huge raise or something because he cost them a player for the next game, but he saved their asses and allowed them to advance. Very crafty, I might add.

Anyway.....can't make a long post and respond to everything.....especially about Ramos Razz

BTW: I thought Argentina's attacks against Germany lacked that control and power expected of one of the best teams in the world. And Messi, I must say, was quite a disappointment. His early shot from 25+ meters when he got a little bit of space behind Schweinsteiger lacked that accuracy and power that we all too often come to see in 25+ meter shots from players like Ronaldo (when he doesn't hit the crossbar Razz ) and Podolski.

Back to top Go down
Artrain
Eternally lazy

PostSubject: Re: NO WORLD CUP THREAD!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!?!   Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:38 am

Lol. Well, Ar, I think Maicon is terribly overrated. Ramos is far superior to Maicon, but why Jose does the things he does, I have no idea Razz
Um.. well I won't say Ramos is 'far superior' to Maicon, but yea, 'm still not sure what plans he was for Ramos. Making him the center back would be a waste of his talent frankly.

As far as Spain, my thoughts exactly. Spain will be crushed by Germany, absolutely crushed. Their match against Paraguay was actually amazingly entertaining for me simply because it represented a first for both teams (Paraguay never getting to Q-Finals and Spain never getting to S-Finals) as well as the dual penalty kicks!! It was unreal that Casillas was able to block that ball (it was an easy one to block, but no penalty kick is easy), and then paraguay turns right around and gives Spain a penalty!!! WHAT MORONS!!
So true. And the guy, Cardozo, who missed the penalty, had been included in the team for the sole reason that he had scored a winning penalty against Japan! How ironic. Casillas did make a very good save, but the shot from Cardozo was very poor to be honest. Not only was it aimed improperly, but it also lacked any power. Casillas had no trouble holding onto the ball.

And how in the world could Paraguay get into so much of a lapse that they conceded one just minutes after they got one is amazing. I think they were so devastated that both of their chances at getting up front (first one was the Valdez's goal which was ruled offside even though he was clearly onside) were neutralized that they just stopped working for a few moments, and it was enough to give the Spanish a first good chance.

But, What was even more shocking was that the Idiot Spanish attack crossed the damn box before the kick was made!!! WHAT KIND OF IDIOTS DO THAT!! But, that simply gave the Paraguayan goalie all the information he needed about the spanish kicker (can't remember his name...on the tip of my tongue) to block the second one. AND, WHY THE HELL DID HE KICK IT INTO THE EXACT SAME PLACE!?!?!?!?
It was Xabi Alonso. Poor guy. True, it was foolish of the player to cross into the box before the kick was made. But did you look at the replay they showed of the Paraguayan penalty? When Cardozo took it, there were four or five Spanish players inside the box! And yet the referee did not tell the Paraguayans to take it again! No one can win if they have so much bad luck in the same night.

Dunno why he kicked in the same place. Most importantly, it lacked power which he usually manages. But well, you know what they say about penalties. They are like lottery tickets.

Anyway, it was a match of equalizations. But, David Villa's final goal was pretty cool, I must say. I mean, Spain should have advanced, but I wish it was in Penalties at the end or something, so it would go down as a tie in Paraguay's stats.
Ye, it should have gone to the penalty shootout. That would have served well to slap the Spanish awake that their current tactics are not working.

But, it's going to be a Germany/Netherlands final, of that I am certain.
I'm hoping for it too! But I don't know. The Spanish beat the Germans in Euro 2008 final. Maybe they can do it again. Or maybe Germans can finally have their revenge. Germany definitely deserve to win this World Cup.

About the Netherlands-Uruguay game, I'm supporting Uruguay actually Razz I think they have a good shot for the place in the final. But that will probably be unlikely.

AND! did you see Suarez block that Ghana goal with his hands?!?!?!? Definitely deserved that Red card, but he should get a huge raise or something because he cost them a player for the next game, but he saved their asses and allowed them to advance. Very crafty, I might add.
Yeah! I rofled at it like mad when I saw it! Ludicrous! He saved the team though, and if Uruguay gets to beat Netherlands, he will get the chance to play the final.

Anyway.....can't make a long post and respond to everything.....especially about Ramos Razz
I think you've finally accepted Razz

BTW: I thought Argentina's attacks against Germany lacked that control and power expected of one of the best teams in the world. And Messi, I must say, was quite a disappointment. His early shot from 25+ meters when he got a little bit of space behind Schweinsteiger lacked that accuracy and power that we all too often come to see in 25+ meter shots from players like Ronaldo (when he doesn't hit the crossbar Razz ) and Podolski.
Exactly. Argentina were having to resort to getting shots from the edges of the box, and all their shots were very weak, including the ones made by Messi. You can't blame him though. Whenever he made the shots, he did those after going past two or three German players, and not having either enough time, or enough space to take it. Poor guy. And he was sitting too deep. Even deeper than Kaka's position was in the Brazilian team. So I can't blame him that he didn't score any goals...

FRESH MEAT

PostSubject: Re: NO WORLD CUP THREAD!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!?!   Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:52 am

It's not that amazing that there wasn't a world cup to me. I hate watching sport. It's boring, Hundred times more fun to go out and play it yourself.
Back to top Go down
Artrain
Eternally lazy

PostSubject: Re: NO WORLD CUP THREAD!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!?!   Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:15 am

The Drunken Hobo wrote:
It's not that amazing that there wasn't a world cup to me. I hate watching sport. It's boring, Hundred times more fun to go out and play it yourself.
Both are fun to me, just of different nature. True it is good to go out and have a kick at the ball even if I may not be half way good at keeping it at your feet, its always a wonderful to watch real pros play. Otherwise I wouldn't be learning anything...

I Like Cheese

PostSubject: Re: NO WORLD CUP THREAD!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!?!   Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:24 pm

O.o Wait...you actuall kick the ball? ....Weird...meh its somewhat interesting to me though if I snap out of it or get distracted and go back to the game...its boring. -.-

Ok so it ends on July11th...interesting....no not bored...uhh slightly annoyed I'd rather watch the history channel with WWII than watch soccer thats all. tongue Ok..continue, I never said anything.
Back to top Go down
Artrain
Eternally lazy

PostSubject: Re: NO WORLD CUP THREAD!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!?!   Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:42 am

Fallen Angel wrote:
O.o Wait...you actuall kick the ball? ....Weird...meh its somewhat interesting to me though if I snap out of it or get distracted and go back to the game...its boring. -.-

Ok so it ends on July11th...interesting....no not bored...uhh slightly annoyed I'd rather watch the history channel with WWII than watch soccer thats all. tongue Ok..continue, I never said anything.
Er... we are facing momentary technical difficulties due to a presence of a nutter. Please stand by... tongue

The difficulty has been overcome, and now we shall continue with footie news. The first semis took place yesterday. Uruguay vs Netherlands. I was hoping Uruguay to win, I've started hating the Dutch football for some reason. Tis... boooring. Robben runs on his tiptoes and falls down due to slightest change in direction of the wind, which referee considers to be a foul by the Uruguayan players somehow. I dunno how the ref expect the Uruguayans to control the winds... but oh well...

The Dutch took the lead, to my disappointment, through a fantastic super ultra god mode mega range maximum power left footed blaster from Van Bronkhorst, their captain (Ignore the adjectives, I'm feeling a bit funny). Then they started to keep possession and dominate the play. Not too much though. Uruguay did make their own breaks whenever they got the ball, just that they could not do much in the final third. Finally they equalized with a extra precise looping and swerving left footed cannon blast from Diego Forlan (Like I said, ignore the adjectives).

Second half looked promising at the start. Both teams went for it, but it was Sneijder who got the Netherlands up by scoring from a deflected shot. After that, it was all about getting the third goal and sealing it up, and the Dutch were able to do that with a headed goal from Robben. How couldn't Uruguay stop a short guy like Robben from heading is a mystery.

Uruguay did make things interesting in the last few minutes when they scored a second, but the third they just couldn't manage.
It ended with Netherlands winning 3-2...

Half-Wit Programmer
Half-Wit Programmer

PostSubject: Re: NO WORLD CUP THREAD!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!?!   Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:04 pm

Yes, quite an exciting game.....well, not really, but I have to day it to be polite Razz

I only rooted for the Dutch because I think they are a better team, and it would be strange if Uruguay advanced given the whole Suarez hand-ball controversy. I'll say more on that later.

For now, I'll just suffice to say thati think van Bronkhorst's goal was one of the most impressive shots I've seen in this world cup, and of course Forlan had his long-range, curvy shot as well that was quite impressive in it's own right, but not nearly as powerful or as dramatic as van Broknhorst's.

Uruguay placed too much emphasis on Forlan and he can only do so much, as awesome as he has turned out to be.
Back to top Go down
Firesword assassin
Ice Breaker

PostSubject: Re: NO WORLD CUP THREAD!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!?!   Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:29 pm

Wow, Spain vs Holland. My friend won't be happy. I honestly thought Germany would beat Spain, but, guess not. It was a cracking goal by Puyol though. Germany just weren't on form tonight. If they had played like they did nearer the end all through the match, then they would have won. But at least they get a shot at playing Uruguay. That will be an interesting match.

Artrain
Eternally lazy

PostSubject: Re: NO WORLD CUP THREAD!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!?!   Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:14 am

Firesword assassin wrote:
Wow, Spain vs Holland.
Yea Crying or Very sad

My friend won't be happy.
Neither would I Crying or Very sad

I honestly thought Germany would beat Spain,
Me too...

but, guess not.
Nope Crying or Very sad

It was a cracking goal by Puyol though.
True. Brilliant header. He deserved it after the one he had missed in the first half.

Germany just weren't on form tonight. If they had played like they did nearer the end all through the match, then they would have won. But at least they get a shot at playing Uruguay. That will be an interesting match.
True. I wonder what happened with Germany. They changed their tactics too drastically. sitting back all the time, and their passing lacked the sharpness is should have had when they did have the ball. But their coach, and even the players, seemed very calm with the way they were performing, so I thought it was all going according to plan. Guess I was wrong.

They started firing a bit earlier in the second half, but then Spain got their passing going and scored through Puyol's header, and that was the end of whatever Germany's plan had bee. I think they were adopting Inter Milan's tactics against Barcelona. Sit deep, absorb pressure, and hit on the break. Unfortunately, their breaks never seemed too convincing, and Gerrard Pique and Puyol were doing a very good defensive job, assisted by Busquets and Xabi Alonso. Toni Kroos had the best opportunity I though, but Casillas saved it. Ironically, Kroos shot from the exact position Thomas Mueller would have been in, so I think Mueller's presence would have given them the edge. Well, its just sad that they couldn't score a single goal, and let Spain get away with 1-0.

Yeah, now I'm looking forward to the Uruguay - Germany clash more than I am to the World Cup final. I think Spain - Netherlands game will be even tighter than Spain - Germany one...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit: 11/07/2010

Germany are on 3rd place. Great match yesterday. Attacking football from both sides. When Germany scored first I thought they would continue and get another four goal victory over Uruguay, but I must give Uruguay credit of fighting back. Germany were very poor in defense though. Mertersacker, Friedrich, and Schweinsteiger were too much under pressure. Boateng and Aogo weren't really helping out. Cacau wasn't linked to the rest of his team mates. And their substitute goal keeper, Butt, who had been given the start, looked nowhere near as clean as Neuer is, letting two cheap goals.

It was a good game though. Germany took the lead earlier, but then Uruguay equalized and then went if front so Germany had to come from behind and win it, which they did 3-2.

I have no idea why Lahm and Podolski weren't playing though. Were they injured along with Klose? Or was it supposed to be more like a slap for Lahm to put him in his place for being a bit greedy and refusing to hand captaincy to Ballack? Schweinsteiger deserves being the captain I think. More than Lahm. He commands the movement of the team. The attack and the defense. Amazing player.

P.S. - Make your predictions! Who you think will win the final??? Netherlands? Or Spain?

P.P.S.- Paul teh octopus has favoured Spain, you might want to go along seeing as his predictions haven't been wrong yet Razz

P.P.P.S. - I'm expecting EVERYBODY to post their predictions! This is the World Cup Final! 'Tis criminal not to post about the final...

Guitar God
Guitar God

PostSubject: Re: NO WORLD CUP THREAD!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!?!   Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:43 am

Could I also point out that Mani the Preecat has predicted Holland will win, and he or she hasn’t been wrong yet either. This is the first time they are predicting differently it seems.

So if they’re thinking differently then I really don’t have a clue, I don’t even know which side to support, I’m having to chose between Van Persie and Fabregas which is agh…

Okay so I’m going to give you then distinct pleasure of hearing my insane thoughts on this.

Spain was always seen as a potential winner of the world cup whist the Netherlans were pretty ignored

Spain have been consistently good. Even though their loss against Switzerland was pretty surprising back in the group stages. And even while some of the what was classed as best times like England and France fell out the sailed through the group stages. However they weren’t really seen as serious contenders until their win against Brazil.

As for players, Holland has Sneijder attacking whilst Spain has David Villa, Xavi and Iniesta. And I almost forgot Robben (like I said ages ago…I’m not exactly well informed footballwise).

Holland also has some brilliant midfield players whose names I can’t really remember whilst the Spanish team in my opinion just all play brilliantly the way their midfield functions like clockwork. At time their playing is flawless.
I’m gonna go out on a limb here and predict Spain and the champions. In all honesty I don’t have a clue though Smile At any rate it’s going to be an incredible game.
Back to top Go down
Firesword assassin
Ice Breaker

PostSubject: Re: NO WORLD CUP THREAD!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!?!   Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:29 pm

Ah, Spain won. I wanted the Netherlands to win. Good match though. Shame they didn't score when Robben had a clear shot. He could have chipped it over the goalie, but he decided to try and go round him. It was quite a scrappy match as well. The number of bookings and fouls; never seen so many in one game. Spain are right wimps; yelling out, apparently in agony then are running about as soon as a free kick is announced. It's either the Spanish, Portuguese or Argentinians that fell the need to be drama queens.

Artrain
Eternally lazy

PostSubject: Re: NO WORLD CUP THREAD!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!?!   Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:24 pm

Sophia wrote:
Could I also point out that Mani the Preecat has predicted Holland will win, and he or she hasn’t been wrong yet either. This is the first time they are predicting differently it seems.
Well, Pauly ain't getting all the attention for nothing ;)
Sophia wrote:

So if they’re thinking differently then I really don’t have a clue, I don’t even know which side to support, I’m having to chose between Van Persie and Fabregas which is agh…
*laughs* Why specifically these two players? Fabregas is much more talented, though Van Persie is much more macho, and since both are quite good looking, I guess it must have been a tough choice ;)
Sophia wrote:

Okay so I’m going to give you then distinct pleasure of hearing my insane thoughts on this.
Hmm, if these thoughts are insane, I cannot imagine what the better ones would be like :O You'll give John Dykes a run for his money Razz
Sophia wrote:

Spain was always seen as a potential winner of the world cup whist the Netherlans were pretty ignored
Yup. Aren't they always...? Problem seems to be, that it is not just the outsiders who ignore the Dutch, but even they themselves seem to be unsure of their quality. You see that in the sides which have won the world cup before. There is a... certain superiority among them. In their approach to the game.

Well, in this case, neither had that mentality of having their nation as a former world cup winner, but Spanish being the favourites, had the confidence.
Sophia wrote:

Spain have been consistently good. Even though their loss against Switzerland was pretty surprising back in the group stages. And even while some of the what was classed as best times like England and France fell out the sailed through the group stages. However they weren’t really seen as serious contenders until their win against Brazil.
Their win against Germany you mean. The Dutch were the ones who defeated Brazil.

But yes, both of the games made both of the winning sides to be considered as real favourites. You look at all the matches the Spanish and the Dutch have played, and the only competitive opponents they had before the final were Germany for Spain and Brazil for Netherlands. Apart from that, both of them had an relatively easy run in.
Sophia wrote:

As for players, Holland has Sneijder attacking whilst Spain has David Villa, Xavi and Iniesta. And I almost forgot Robben (like I said ages ago…I’m not exactly well informed footballwise).
Today David Villa went missing, but Xavi and Iniesta, and later on Jesus Navas were the ones who won it for Spain.

Robben. How he missed those two chances that fell for him I do not know.
Sophia wrote:

Holland also has some brilliant midfield players whose names I can’t really remember whilst the Spanish team in my opinion just all play brilliantly the way their midfield functions like clockwork. At time their playing is flawless.
I’m gonna go out on a limb here and predict Spain and the champions. In all honesty I don’t have a clue though Smile At any rate it’s going to be an incredible game.
You were right about Spain winning Smile Incredible game...? I don't know... I had thought this would be tighter that Spain-Germany game and that is exactly what it was. Needed extra 30 minutes to separate the winner.

Ah, Spain won. I wanted the Netherlands to win. Good match though. Shame they didn't score when Robben had a clear shot. He could have chipped it over the goalie, but he decided to try and go round him. It was quite a scrappy match as well.
He had two chances actually! Both he squandered. Ridiculous of the player of his quality. Yep the game was alright to me since I was pretty neutral. The stakes was what made the game more interesting. If it had been any other match, it would have been classified as the most boring ever.

You have to give both the goal keepers the credit of holding out for over 110 minutes. The Dutch counterpart failed in the end to keep the clean sheet, but he did make some good saves; as did Casillas.

The number of bookings and fouls; never seen so many in one game. Spain are right wimps; yelling out, apparently in agony then are running about as soon as a free kick is announced. It's either the Spanish, Portuguese or Argentinians that fell the need to be drama queens.
*laughs* Oh I don't know about that. The thing is, it is really the case that a slightest touch from the opponent can spoil your run. They yell just to get the referee to notice. And most of the Spanish don't act too much at all, except from the young ones like Busquets, and Pedro, and Ramos. If anybody is a drama queen it is Arjen Robben. I've already mentioned earlier how good a diver he is.

And even if the Spanish do fall easily sometimes, you cannot blame them. Consider how many bad fouls they commit. The Spanish team hadn't gotten a single yellow card in the whole tournament until their semi-finals. They are there to play pure football, not have wrestling matches, so they get frustrated when their opponents use strength combined with bad skill against them.

Talon Blade wrote:
Well, Spain did it. I was cheering for Germany, of course because they are my countrymen >_>
I was as well.
Talon Blade wrote:

Finishing 3rd isn't so bad.
I guess not...
Talon Blade wrote:

How do you feel abou the outcome?
Alright I guess. Spain was looking good enough. I'd like to see better attacking football from them though. They waste too much possession just playing the ball around. And they aren't near good enough with freekicks as they ought to be.
Talon Blade wrote:

who would you have rather won the 2010 Fifa World Cup?
Germany. They deserved it. They had to face much difficult opposition than any of the other sides. After losing to Serbia, they had to win against Ghana, which was the best African side. Then they had to face England. Then Argentina. Then Spain. So they did not have a single easy fixture. Very unfortunate.

Fine game though. Not the best final by any standard, but alright to watch. Spain finally get their name amongst all the other World Cup winning nations. And they also have the honour of being one of the only two teams who won the Euro Cup, and then went on to win the consecutive World Cup. The other team was West Germany...

I am picking my nose with a back scratcher. Got a problem with that?

PostSubject: Re: NO WORLD CUP THREAD!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!?!   Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:52 am

Yes artrain, it was a crying shame that my countrymen had to lose to Spain in the Semis after losing to Spain in th European cup. Although Spain has never won a World Cup I still think Germany deserved it better, They really did have a mean bracket. The last ten minutes of the game is how they should have been playing the whole second half...Germany is best with its passing and strikers...neither one of those elements was in play most of the match. Sad
Back to top Go down
http://www.formspring.me/Obstinatus
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NO WORLD CUP THREAD!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!?!   

Back to top Go down

NO WORLD CUP THREAD!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!?!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top