Battle Zone
We think you should log in. Don't you?

This is the site for everything and anything you want to talk about. Want to discuss the latest games? Done. Want to have fun? Done. This is THE place to have a great time.

HomePortalFAQMemberlistRegisterLog in

Share | 

Orthodoxy/ Orthodox christianity

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Feral
Programmer
Programmer

PostSubject: Orthodoxy/ Orthodox christianity   Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:15 am

I have an itchy feeling this is going to be one of my long posts, so, please don't get bored.
----------------------
Alright. So, I am an Orthodox christian. Orthodoxy is the belief in the Holy trinity (the Father, the Son, and the Holy spirit.) We believe that they are as one, yet apart. As an example; A fire baked brick. It has water, dirt, and fire to make it hold. They are all apart, but as one (we are talking in old times example).

We have vegetarian fasting periods, to celebrate Christmas and Easter, name days, special days for saints, and every Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. These are for making sure that God's flesh is the only flesh we eat, the week should be clean of any animal flesh, to be pure to take him. (communion or bread, catholics and christians do take communion.)

We hold the belief that God made everything, He started time, He made nothingness, and that He is all powerful. We believe that he causes things to happen for a reason, be it to make us stronger in belief or make us realize he is still with us.

We believe that forgiveness is always at hand, if you are truly sorry, you will go and do confessions to the priest and never do it again, that is how you are forgiven. We follow the ten commandments.

The devil was one of God's fairest angels, lucifer. We believe that he put himself above god, by saying he was much more beautiful, and much more smarter. As he said this, he fell into hell, and became deformed. So did all the angels that followed him, and they became demons.

Magic, the idea of the zodiacs, fortune telling, tarot cards, the five pointed star, and cultism is a Satanism (the worshipping of the devil). We don't believe in any sort of ulterior power to God's, and people that do worship the devil go straight to hell without judgement.

Ok, don't try to flame me for this, seriously. I honestly believe this, and I sincerely mean no offence. But we hold the belief that homosexuality is condemning yourself to hell. *Sighs* I have a feeling I am going to be flamed.

Personally, I myself have seen God's miracles, and to tell the truth, I would go back again just to see it. Orthodox saints situate in Greece, Turkey, and Russia. I myself have seen quiet a few in Greece, and truly, it changed my life. The bones of people decay and turn to the ground, while these monks and saint bones lay undamaged. I've seen it with my own eyes.

Ok, that's all I am going to say for now. But, ask away, ^_^

Feral.
Back to top Go down
Mozzie
OHNOES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostSubject: Re: Orthodoxy/ Orthodox christianity   Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:39 am

*grins* Feral, I can say, there is nothing in what you said are against my belief as well. All I can tell you is that, orthodoxy and Catholicism are the same. And well, I haven't seen any bodies of saints but I do believe in miracles. *smiles*

Btw, do you also have those what we, Catholics call scapular? It is a necklace that won't allow you to go to Hell no matter what as long as you pray to Mother Mary? Ehh, that's all for now. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.wkyc.com/weather/severe_weather/cancellations_closing
Artrain
Eternally lazy

PostSubject: Re: Orthodoxy/ Orthodox christianity   Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:39 am

Miracle is a rather loose term is it not? For me it is something a human mind refuses to accept or understand.

Anyway, it was most interesting to read your beliefs, thank you for sharing them with us... Smile

Programmer
Programmer

PostSubject: Re: Orthodoxy/ Orthodox christianity   Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:54 am

Quote :
Btw, do you also have those what we, Catholics call scapular? It is a necklace that won't allow you to go to Hell no matter what as long as you pray to Mother Mary?

Umm, no. We believe the only way to find forgiveness is to do confessions, and never do what you confessed again. We do have a few things that do help us, like the cross around our neck, or a blessed belt that people wear when they are severely sick, I myself wore one.

Quote :
Miracle is a rather loose term is it not? For me it is something a human mind refuses to accept or understand.

Hmm, it's really your choice. But, there are so many things that are unexplainable, like why a MONKS bones don't decay, or why Saints or Monks bones smell better than perfume.
Back to top Go down
Artrain
Eternally lazy

PostSubject: Re: Orthodoxy/ Orthodox christianity   Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:56 am

Feraligatr wrote:

Hmm, it's really your choice. But, there are so many things that are unexplainable, like why a MONKS bones don't decay, or why Saints or Monks bones smell better than perfume.
Perhaps the same reason as the mummies bones don't decay fast. They were treated with chemicals after their death to preserve their bodies as long as possible. That would also explain the smell, and would explain why not all saints' and monks' bones are preserved.

Sometimes the Egyptians used to bathe the dead body of their pharaoh in some sort of oil, other times they used to sprinkle it onto the body, or they used to dip the cloth wrappings in the chemicals first and then lap it over the pharaoh. There are a many other ways preserving bodies which I don't know about, which you could search out if you are interested...

Programmer
Programmer

PostSubject: Re: Orthodoxy/ Orthodox christianity   Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:59 am

That would explain it, but it is against our religion to try and preserve the bodies of dead people. In Greece, people are buried, after a few years, are dug up. [Removed this part of post. I know what they actually do, and how they tell.] Alright, this is what happens after a few years later.

- The bones are dug up from the ground.

- If the bones are alright and the body smells like perfume it is taken to the namesake church and never touched again.

- If the bones are damaged and it reeks, the body is again buried and never touched again.

Last edited by Feraligatr on Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Artrain
Eternally lazy

PostSubject: Re: Orthodoxy/ Orthodox christianity   Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:01 am

According to what I've read, even without any methods of preservation, the decay of bones may take up any time between 20 years to several thousand years before they totally disintegrate depending upon the type of soil and the pH level in the soil. Really, like I said before, whether you want to know the reasons or not is up to you. I personally think that understanding the causes helps you than not trying to know them at all.

Edit: Out of curiosity, can I ask if anyone in your relations has had their sent to the church?

Programmer
Programmer

PostSubject: Re: Orthodoxy/ Orthodox christianity   Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:42 am

Hmm, no. None of my family in Greece has had their bones sent to the church. My great grandfather, he knew Saint Savvas, one of the most well known saints in this time. He sits in Kalymnos, Greece.
Back to top Go down
Artrain
Eternally lazy

PostSubject: Re: Orthodoxy/ Orthodox christianity   Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:47 am

And what meaning is attached to the condition of the bones?

Programmer
Programmer

PostSubject: Re: Orthodoxy/ Orthodox christianity   Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:58 am

The condition of the bones is one hint to the person being special or holy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Orthodoxy/ Orthodox christianity   

Back to top Go down

Orthodoxy/ Orthodox christianity

View previous topic View next topic Back to top