Battle Zone
We think you should log in. Don't you?

This is the site for everything and anything you want to talk about. Want to discuss the latest games? Done. Want to have fun? Done. This is THE place to have a great time.

HomePortalFAQMemberlistRegisterLog in

Share | 

Ask an Olympian

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Dennaix
Mini-Godzilla
Mini-Godzilla

PostSubject: Ask an Olympian   Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:34 am

Ask me about my evil Pagan religion... My many gods and godesses, and my favorite meal here.
Back to top Go down
Old Amsterdam
Bow Before Thy Master
Bow Before Thy Master

PostSubject: Re: Ask an Olympian   Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:43 am

How 'bout you explain the religion a bit? Like, what the general beliefs are and stuff. That'd make it a little more helpful to discuss.

Back to top Go down
http://battlezone.forumotion.net/
Dennaix
Mini-Godzilla
Mini-Godzilla

PostSubject: Re: Ask an Olympian   Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:58 am

Think ancient Greece, Zeus, Hera, Poseidon, Hades and the like. I myself follow Athena as my Primary god/goddess, with Hermes as my secondary. I haven't actually chosen my tertiary... so much choice and so many... feuds. For example, I can't choose Poseidon because he has a rivalry with Athena. I can't choose Hades because... he's kind of creepy and I just don't want to pick Zeus. That limits my choice. Athena doesn't like Ares so he's out of the question... I might just go for Dionysus... I like his sphere and he doesn't have a rivalry with anyone.
Back to top Go down
Old Amsterdam
Bow Before Thy Master
Bow Before Thy Master

PostSubject: Re: Ask an Olympian   Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:39 pm

Ah, I get it now, for the most part. That's definitely interesting, to say the least.

But what is a tertiary? Is that like your...not main god/goddess...but...oh, I don't know Ohnoes!.

Back to top Go down
Mozzie
OHNOES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostSubject: Re: Ask an Olympian   Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:46 pm

OMG!! So, it is a religion then. I thought it was just some kind of a myth and Athena, Poseidon blah,blah,blah were just mythical gods/goddesses. I did not know they were being followed by true people. D:
Back to top Go down
http://www.wkyc.com/weather/severe_weather/cancellations_closing
Old Amsterdam
Bow Before Thy Master
Bow Before Thy Master

PostSubject: Re: Ask an Olympian   Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:47 pm

I figured they had been formed into a religion, but I wasn't aware that people still followed it. The myths/legends were based off of this religion, GG.

Back to top Go down
Dennaix
Mini-Godzilla
Mini-Godzilla

PostSubject: Re: Ask an Olympian   Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:37 pm

Like many Pagan religions, Druidism, Wicca, Odinism and Stone mother they were once more prominent than Christianity, Judaism and Islam. The only widely followed religion remaining from this time is in fact Hinduism. But all these ancient and archaic religions have a following today, if not a large one. It's been argued that Olympianism and Romanism are pretty much the same thing with different names, which is mostly true. In fact I've met a Titanist, who follow the Titans, the parents of the gods in Olympianism. The only religion I've not personally found active members of is in fact the old Egyptian, but there must be somewhere.

You pick three major gods or goddesses to be your guides and teachers in life, you may follow the path of Wisdom like Athena or War like Ares... it's as much a personal choice as it is a religious one. People change as do their Ideals so it isn't unheard of for people to change the order of their three... or even the gods or goddesses themselves at points in their life.
Back to top Go down
Lone Wolf
I am such a post-wh*re and I am proud of it.

PostSubject: Re: Ask an Olympian   Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:58 pm

Why do you believe this?

Dennaix
Mini-Godzilla
Mini-Godzilla

PostSubject: Re: Ask an Olympian   Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:56 am

Why do people believe in God, Allah and Jesus? It just feels right to me. I agree there is little proof that these gods exist... but can anyone really be sure which god/gods is real?
Back to top Go down
Lone Wolf

PostSubject: Re: Ask an Olympian   Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:20 am

Well I think that people want to find a purpose worth living for in life, otherwise what is the point of life? to please ourselves?
What purpose do these serve?

Dennaix
Mini-Godzilla
Mini-Godzilla

PostSubject: Re: Ask an Olympian   Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:14 am

The purpose? Purpose is relative... things have been made for beauty and just a desire to make it rather than purpose... but I follow this religion because it shows there is more to life than say, living, dying and going to paradise or eternal punishment. My gods share the teachings between them, much more believable to me than one guy who knows everything. In Olympianism we know our gods are flawed and can identify with them more than if they were omnipresent beings of perfection and divine brilliance. Throughout our history our gods have been well known to make mistakes... and correspondingly huge ones for such a powerful being. When someone comes up to me and tells me about some deal where I pay them say 200 quid and I get 2 million back I get suspicious... something's too good to be true. Likewise the idea of a single ultimate being of infinite knowledge, glory and divinity seems a bit far fetched. Yes we have a king of the gods, but like any good democracy, there needs to be a leader as well as the rest of the council... Rather than one totalitarian dictator. But I do believe in free choice, so people may do as they wish as long as they don't try to make me do the same. People can worship the Great Holy Cheese if they wish... as long as they don't try and convince me to worship the Great Holy Cheese. I'm happy as I am, thank you. Smile
Back to top Go down
Lone Wolf

PostSubject: Re: Ask an Olympian   Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:52 am

You have clarified what I wanted to know thanks.

Dennaix
Mini-Godzilla
Mini-Godzilla

PostSubject: Re: Ask an Olympian   Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:05 am

It's what I'm here for. Smile
Back to top Go down
Old Amsterdam
Bow Before Thy Master
Bow Before Thy Master

PostSubject: Re: Ask an Olympian   Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:59 am

Epic I agree, that was a definitely answer to my question.

So, you have 2 of your 3, right?

Actually, can you explain what each of them mean/stand for?

Back to top Go down
Dennaix
Mini-Godzilla
Mini-Godzilla

PostSubject: Re: Ask an Olympian   Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:34 am

Athena stands for the path of wisdom and enlightenment. She prefers to patron a creative soul or an inventor. Hermes is kind of a safe bet, he can patron for anyone who uses the roads, but he prefers doctors, thieves and travelers. I follow him because I'm a registered first aider... which is close enough to medicine, I hope. But I'm not sure about my tertiary... as I say, the old feuds are complicated so You really need to think about this one... as I said earlier I've been toying with the idea of Dionysus... although Morpheus would be rather apt... This isn't a decision to rush into, though. So I need to take as long as I need.
Back to top Go down
Old Amsterdam
Bow Before Thy Master
Bow Before Thy Master

PostSubject: Re: Ask an Olympian   Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:13 pm

Of course. No one would expect you to rush your decision. However, I look forward hearing which you choose. I suppose this religion is better for soul searching? Like, you have to know who you are in order to choose, right?

Back to top Go down
Dennaix
Mini-Godzilla
Mini-Godzilla

PostSubject: Re: Ask an Olympian   Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:45 pm

Pretty much, yeah. The gods ask you to find the strength to do things within yourself, they are merely your guides through this world and into the next. Being an Olympian means looking within yourself to find the good, the evil, the answers and the reason around you. They don't tell ask you to see things a particular way. They aren't your doctor, they're more your therapist. They ask you to see things as you will. It's very useful to have such freedom. You make choices and you live with it. Athena advises you live life with care and thought, while Ares advises power and strength. You must ask yourself... are you wise and clever or strong and tough? Each choice has ramifications, of course, but by and large, you are who you are... and the gods respect that.
Back to top Go down
Old Amsterdam
Bow Before Thy Master
Bow Before Thy Master

PostSubject: Re: Ask an Olympian   Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:11 am

I like that. Very cool Den, very cool indeed. I'm definitely glad to have heard of this, and to have you post all that.

So, do you have to have 3, or can you have more/less?

Back to top Go down
Dennaix
Mini-Godzilla
Mini-Godzilla

PostSubject: Re: Ask an Olympian   Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:13 am

You can have one two or three, three is advised... like if you were going somewhere unknown would you prefer one or three people watching your back? This is a really tough decision for me... I've said Dionysus would be the safe bet, but Apollo would be good as well. Watch this space.
Back to top Go down
Old Amsterdam
Bow Before Thy Master
Bow Before Thy Master

PostSubject: Re: Ask an Olympian   Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:20 am

Mmm...I see what you mean.

I think you've got a good deuce there, and I would think Apollo would be good for a trio with them. Of course, don't listen to me. I'm the nutcase who made this site, after all.

Good luck Den. My heart goes with your choice.

Back to top Go down
Artrain
Eternally lazy

PostSubject: Re: Ask an Olympian   Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:51 pm

Hmm. Following three gods you say? Isn't there a sort of condition that you have to select one of the 'Big Three' gods? You've chosen to worship neither Zeus, Poseidon or Hades. Is it that you can choose anyone among the twelve Olympians? Or maybe even the minor gods since you mention Morpheus?

Mini-Godzilla
Mini-Godzilla

PostSubject: Re: Ask an Olympian   Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:41 am

It's not particularly necessary to pick one of the Brothers. It's inadvisable not to but you may choose whatever feels right. I know a follower who has three minor gods, two of which I'd never heard of. So people pick what feels right. I'm having to think seriously about this... It's a tough decision.
Back to top Go down
Artrain
Eternally lazy

PostSubject: Re: Ask an Olympian   Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:09 am

I'm sure it is. I personally think Apollo would be a good choice. You mention that you are a med student, and if I'm not wrong Apollo was known for his healing abilities...

Chatz Master
Chatz Master

PostSubject: Re: Ask an Olympian   Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:33 am

what about hephastus or janis? the god of the forge or the god of desicion. im really fasinated by greek myth. well i guess some people dont find it entirly a myth.

edit: or maybe even artimis.
Back to top Go down
Dennaix
Mini-Godzilla
Mini-Godzilla

PostSubject: Re: Ask an Olympian   Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:29 am

It is with great pride I reveal my Tertiary deity is... [insert drum roll here] Dionysus! yes, I have chosen the god of booze (I work in a pub) and madness (Do I need to explain?)! Thank you for all your interest in this subject, now you may rest easy in the knowledge I have chosen! Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ask an Olympian   

Back to top Go down

Ask an Olympian

View previous topic View next topic Back to top