Battle Zone
We think you should log in. Don't you?

This is the site for everything and anything you want to talk about. Want to discuss the latest games? Done. Want to have fun? Done. This is THE place to have a great time.

HomePortalFAQMemberlistRegisterLog in

Share | 

A song of ice and fire series

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Assassino
*POOF* Err....Jack Has Gone on Vacation...Permanently.

PostSubject: A song of ice and fire series   Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:21 pm

Well anyone readn the "A song of ice and fire" series written by George RR Martin? There are four books with three more planned.

This might be the best book series I've ever read. There's everything you could want in a fantasy book. 28 different characters appaer with at least one chapter in the series. Martin isn't affraid of killing them off eighter. And the character development going on is amazing.

So anyway. Speak your mind, discuss.

PostSubject: Re: A song of ice and fire series   Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:14 am

Yup, read all four of them, and frankly, I don't like them. I had made a long post about it somewhere, will just paste that here. Razz Okay here it is. Its a part of my PM, so ignore the other things except about the books.
Quote :
Yup, I was at the fourth book then, but I'm done now. Someone said the fourth book was boring? Well, someone was right. It is terribly boring. Its not just boring, but it is worthless too. You could simply read the last lines of each chapter and not miss a single thing. Hah, short time? I don't read fast or anything, just read continuously till I finish them, even throughout the night. And I didn't have anything much to do in the week before the last, so lots of time. *laughs* No, I didn't skip lessons or anything, don't worry. We had a festival over here from the 18th of last month, and it is 10 day long. So college doesn't take place during those ten days. Hmm, since I am on topic, I guess I could just begin with what I thought of them. Don't worry, like I said, I won't go into the details of the story. The first thing that struck after I was kinda half way into the first book was that there were so many POVs! You couldn't guess which one you were supposed to follow, or if you were to 'follow' anyone at all. It was like watching seven or eight movies at the same time. Too vague for my liking. Too unfocused. Plus, almost all the characters in it are pretty foolish. Especially the one's whose POVs are shown. More than half of them are kids. It gets a bit unbearable the working of slow minds, really. And then we come to the writing style of Mister Martin. I don't know how many instances you have come till know, but by the time you finish, there will be a lot of them when he builds something up through one of his main characters, building it slowly and steadily through a thousand pages, and then suddenly, he topples the whole thing onto its head which makes all those previous thousand pages of read totally purposeless. Its frustrating. And compared to these books, even the LOTR series seems like a super fast paced action series. This is just so slow. I have read four books now, and I am still not clear of the purpose of the whole series. There are two factions to it. The one is the obvious power struggle, which starts right from the first book. The second is more magical oriented related to those Others which are shown in the very beginning of the book. And to be quite frank, I only read the books because of the mythical part. I have absolutely no interest in the author's ranting about politics of olden times. The first two books were acceptable for me. The third I almost dropped at the beginning, but after some three or four hundred pages, it got interesting enough, and I think it is the best of the lot. The fourth is a disaster. I feel that the story is good enough, but it has been written very badly, and very unplanned. It just seems as though the writer is writing completely on impulsing. Choosing whichever direction he fancies and going in that direction for a time being, then choosing a new direction and going there. It clearly shows the faults of having too many POVs for one thing. He should have stuck with two or three at most. And at least he should have made the purpose of the book clear. But even after reading four and a half thousand pages, the books are still pretty much purposeless. Hmm, I wonder if you would take that as a spoiler. Oh well, make your own decision. Razz

Well, there you have it. Smile

*POOF* Err....Jack Has Gone on Vacation...Permanently.

PostSubject: Re: A song of ice and fire series   Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:27 am

Ah, I guess it depends on your tast. Personaly I found the fourth book highly in intresting all though the many POV's were confusing at times. The political games was what caught me up in the series. The fact that there is no inheritly good or bad side and that magic dosn't dominate in this world is really to my liking.

I like long books so that didn't bother me. Martin writes in such a way that character development becomes more natural I think. It's not like some books where the "hero" suddenly realises he's been a childish fool and matures over the course of a few pages.

It depends on how you like your books I guess. Razz

Royal Knight

PostSubject: Re: A song of ice and fire series   Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:05 am

I haven't read the books, but Game of Thrones is without doubt the best thing on TV at the moment. It would definitely encourage me to read "A song of ice and fire"
Back to top Go down
Artrain
Eternally lazy

PostSubject: Re: A song of ice and fire series   Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:40 am

Fifth book out then. Read it. Much more digestible than the previous one for me since it had a bit more fictional parts. And Jon is the only character whose POV I find bearable to read.

Tyrion's are alright. In the beginning, I think Martin overdid it with Tyrion's wisecracks. Especially since there was almost no wise part about them, and cracks came too often than necessary. But later on it settled to the usual level, so that was a relief. Otherwise it would have been yet another POV who loves to make a fool of themselves.

Daenerys' were as always. Reading them feels like watching a kid playing with dolls.

Martin still insists on looping the story around and around, which is the one thing about the books that I don't like. Perhaps he thinks that blowing up the size of the book reflects its quality. Oh well. I am just reading to see what grand ending the guy comes up to.

PostSubject: Re: A song of ice and fire series   

Back to top Go down

A song of ice and fire series

View previous topic View next topic Back to top