Battle Zone
We think you should log in. Don't you?

This is the site for everything and anything you want to talk about. Want to discuss the latest games? Done. Want to have fun? Done. This is THE place to have a great time.

HomePortalFAQMemberlistRegisterLog in

Share | 

Wings, Amnesia, and All That Other Fun Stuff

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Lone Wolf
I am such a post-wh*re and I am proud of it.

PostSubject: Re: Wings, Amnesia, and All That Other Fun Stuff   Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:51 pm

O.O Posts!

I read!

I find awesomeness!

Well done!

Personally love the Hotgart!

Hmmm so we wait and see these little prey be rescued in some awe inspiring way from th deadly clutches of the Lethwhastits and the Raz'zac, Please kill one? they be annoying as...

Anyway well done, and can't wait for some updates!

PS. I might not have net access so if I disappear for a whiles, it not my fault, more the fact that I am about 40 odd Km from the nearest internet connection....

Wazza
Fighter
Fighter

PostSubject: Re: Wings, Amnesia, and All That Other Fun Stuff   Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:09 pm

Orion Pax wrote:
O.O Posts!

I read!

I find awesomeness!

Well done!

I would love to see his face if he actually heard her call him that.
Orion Pax wrote:

Hmmm so we wait and see these little prey be rescued in some awe inspiring way from th deadly clutches of the Lethwhastits and the Raz'zac, Please kill one? they be annoying as...
Nah, they're not going to die that easily. They'll come pretty close, but not quite.
Orion Pax wrote:

Anyway well done, and can't wait for some updates!
There'll be another one tomorrow or tonight.
Orion Pax wrote:

PS. I might not have net access so if I disappear for a whiles, it not my fault, more the fact that I am about 40 odd Km from the nearest internet connection....
Tis fine Smile
Back to top Go down
Lone Wolf

PostSubject: Re: Wings, Amnesia, and All That Other Fun Stuff   Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:41 pm

Wazza wrote:
Orion Pax wrote:

Hauled into the haul, she approached the throne of the king, Bowing low she said, "Good Eve, Yer majesty. Or Should I call you Hotgart?"

Then, Hrothgar's Face turned a shade of pink as he retorted, "For on whom I could kill with ease, you seem very loose with thine mouth, Should we cut thine tongue out, so that you may not offend another of mine kinsmen?"

She Replies, "For if you lift a finger against me I shall kill you with mine uber awesome chamber of madness IE: Crazy Nuts "

Wazza
Fighter
Fighter

PostSubject: Part 12   Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:32 pm

Orion Pax wrote:
Wazza wrote:
Orion Pax wrote:

Hauled into the haul, she approached the throne of the king, Bowing low she said, "Good Eve, Yer majesty. Or Should I call you Hotgart?"

Then, Hrothgar's Face turned a shade of pink as he retorted, "For on whom I could kill with ease, you seem very loose with thine mouth, Should we cut thine tongue out, so that you may not offend another of mine kinsmen?"

She Replies, "For if you lift a finger against me I shall kill you with mine uber awesome chamber of madness IE: Crazy Nuts "
lol!
Dusk walked into the great hall of the dwarves. Sitting at the end was a man around her height holding a big metal hammer.
"Are you Hotgart?" she asked.
Hrothgar stared at her. Finally, he managed to say, "Who are you and how dare you insult me like that?"
"Hey, that was just an innocent question!" Dusk said indignantly. "Are you Hotgart or not?"

I'd be surprised if "Hotgart" didn't kill her for that Twisted Evil
Update!!!
---
Great, there's two featherless four-legged vultures, two hooded figures, and a hundred soldiers after us. The vultures and all of the archers, that's about forty soldiers, are after me, and the sixty remaining soldiers as well as the ones with the hoods are going after Eragon, Brom, Random Kid One, and Random Kid Two.

I was trying to get to the water, but the vultures kept on blocking me, and then the archers would start shooting. I'd already gotten hit by three arrows, two through my left wing and another one in my right leg. I tore the arrow out and grimaced as pain shot through my leg.

“Here, catch!” I called, and sent the arrow flying at one of the vultures. The piece of steel-tipped wood hit its back, and it screeched in pain.

I covered my ears and winced when the sound reached me. “You need to take music lessons!” I shouted at it.

The archers fired another volley of arrows at me. I tried to fly above their range, but the other vulture stopped me. Two arrows hit me in the left arm, and I screamed in pain.

“Seriously!” I roared at the soldiers. “I thought true men weren't supposed to attack girls!” I wrenched out both arrows and stabbed them into the vulture's stomach. It screeched and fell to the ground, flattening four archers underneath its body.

“Five down, thirty-seven more to go,” I whispered.

Another wave of arrows flew at me, and again I tried to escape upwards. The other vulture grabbed me in its talons, leaving bloody scratches on my arms. I struggled, but its grip was completely merciless. It was obviously peeved at me for injuring its mate.

I stabbed my dagger up into its neck, and a fountain of dark blue-green blood gushed out of the wound. The vulture-bat tried to scream, but the only sound that came out was a small gurgle as a blood bubble popped out of its beak. Its beady black eyes went blank, and it fell, dragging me down with it in its death grip. I pulled the dagger out of the beast's neck and hacked at its claws, trying to make it let go. Just as I was about to slam into the ground, I managed to release its hold on me and darted away, directly into the path of an arrow that lodged itself next to the dagger's sheath on my right leg.

“Shit!” I yelled. I tugged it free and sent it at the soldiers below me. It hit one guy in the arm and bounced off his armor.

Still cursing profusely, I sheathed my dagger, making the inside of the scabbard wet and sticky with blood. Then I raced into the water.

I dragged myself onto the east shore of Tudosten, coughing and spluttering. The water around me was was tinged red with my blood.

After washing the dagger and its sheath, I tried to stand up, but my right leg wouldn't hold my weight. “Oh, great, just great,” I said, gritting my teeth in pain. I put my right arm, which was bleeding from the scratches the stupid thing had given me, against a convenient tree and stumbled into the forest. Leaning on my right hand and putting most of my weight on my left foot was extremely hard, and I sat down to rest against yet another convenient tree after a few minutes.

Then the ferns in front of me began waving, and I pulled out my dagger. The weird sword guy that Brom and Eragon had been talking to in the Quacking Moose emerged.

“Do you have any Tylenol?” I asked him. “I could really use some right about now.”

The guy didn't seem to know what I was talking about, so he shrugged and asked, “Where did you go to while we were running?”

“Does that matter?” I asked. I stood up shakily, and the person let me grab his shoulder for support. “Right, where are we going?”

He didn't respond, just led me over to the southeast part of the woods.

“You have got to be kidding me,” I said flatly when I saw why he had brought me there.

A bunch of green and grey tents were bunched together. The people without tents were huddled underneath blankets that had been draped over tree branches. There were around three hundred people there, mostly men and boys, many of which were wounded. They looked up when we neared them, but quickly relaxed when they saw the boy I was with.

We ducked into a blue tent larger than the others. Eragon, Brom, and the hammer guy were already sitting inside.

“Dusk,” said Brom. “Good, you're here.” I noticed that Eragon, Brom, the hammer guy and the weird sword guy didn't even have a single scratch between them.

I sat down, wincing as pain shot through my injured leg.

“Where did you go while we were running from the soldiers?” Brom asked.

“Oh, nowhere important,” I said sarcastically. “I was just being chased by forty archers and those two flying bat-vulture thingies. But don't worry about me! After all, how could I possibly compare with how much pain you people went through? It was just forty-two bad guys after one me, while sixty-two bad guys were after you three hundred something good guys. Yeah, no problem here, not to mention the fact that I got hit by, how many arrows was it? Six arrows, and I got my arms scratched to pieces by that damn bird thing. At least I killed it, though.”

Brom started. “You killed a Lethrblaka?” he asked in disbelief.

“The bat-vultures? Yeah,” I said, licking one of the scratches on my arm gingerly. “I nearly got the other one too. They need to learn not to go above someone with a Rider metal dagger.”

“Where's Saphira?” Eragon asked urgently.

“That dwarf place,” I said. “With the Varden.”

The hammer guy interrupted us. “Who are you? What is a Lethrblaka? What do you mean, you have a Rider metal dagger? Who is Saphira? You know the Varden and the dwarves?”

“I think you had better start off from when you and Saphira vanished, Dusk,” said Brom.

“Before that,” I said. “I need food, and I need whatever you people here put on scratches. Then we can just head on over to the Varden and be happy. Got it? Good.”
Back to top Go down
Lone Wolf

PostSubject: Re: Wings, Amnesia, and All That Other Fun Stuff   Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:00 pm

She sounds a bit peeved. lol

Nice Chappy but I think one thing you need to work on is the description of the places around her when she is fighting, at one point it seemed slightly like you were flying in a blank walled room with no terrain. But that might just be me.

Well done on all other accounts tho.

Wazza
Fighter
Fighter

PostSubject: Part 13   Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:40 pm

Quote :
She sounds a bit peeved. lol
That she is :D
Quote :
Nice Chappy but I think one thing you need to work on is the description of the places around her when she is fighting, at one point it seemed slightly like you were flying in a blank walled room with no terrain. But that might just be me.
Yes she was flying in a blank walled room with no terrain, how did you know? Nah, not really. I'll stick in some more descriptions later(it's my favorite word!).
Quote :
Well done on all other accounts tho.
Thanks!
Short and semi-descriptive, I slowed it down a notch as well.
---
I was sitting in an elm, my back to the upper trunk and my legs on a large tree limb. There were so many stars in this place, it was almost like it was day, but with a different light. More of a slivery glow than the blinding gold of day. I liked the nights here.

This lady called Gertrude(cliche name for a healer, if you ask me) had rubbed some goo onto my arrow wounds and attacked my arms with this antiseptic thing. I wasn't too happy about that, but it did feel better afterwards. And she must have been completely blind, because she didn't even see my wings.

Then I had told Brom, Eragon, Roran(the one with the hammer), and Murtagh(weird sword guy) everything that had happened since Saphira and I had been captured. Roran had punched Eragon in the nose when he heard that his little cousin was a Dragon Rider, breaking it and giving him a heavy nosebleed. Family issues.

Brom acted a bit strangely when I showed him my awesome dagger. He had muttered something that sounded like “andlat” and his eyes had gotten a sort of hungry look in them.

Eragon had wanted to go to Farthen Dur right then, but everybody else was against that idea. Plenty of people had gotten wounded by the hooded figures, which were called the Ra'zac, and the soldiers. Not to mention me. According to Brom, the Lethrblaka, which were the things that had attacked me, were the Ra'zac's parents. I didn't get that, since the Lethrblaka were frickin' humongous and they had wings while the Ra'zac looked like humans, but if the great expert deems it true, then okay. Brom also told me I hadn't really killed a Lethrblaka, just wounded it into a coma for at least a week.

Then I had asked what so many people were doing in the woods. Apparently, Carvahall(stupid name, it's almost like Build-a-Bear), this village way northwest, the one Roran and Eragon had come from, had been attacked by Kull(big Urgals) after Gabriel figured out that Eragon had a cousin up there. They had burned the place to the ground and Roran had led the whole village over to Teirm. Jeod had told them that the Varden lived in the Beor Mountains, and the whole village had set off towards the mountains. They had met up with Eragon in this place called Drat, Lona!(seriously?) and had decided to run around together. The Ra'zac had tracked them all the way here, and then I had met up with them.

We made plans to get across the desert after that. On foot, it was around three or four days. Brom and Eragon would use magic to get water. I had checked them for magic wands, but Eragon explained that magic was using gibberish to direct energy towards something. I thought that was pretty dumb, but if it'll get water for us, why should I ever care?

So right now I'm just sitting in a tree and being bored.

I closed my eyes and dozed off.

I woke up after everyone else. Most of the people had already finished packing their possessions and were gazing out to the desert. I seemed to be the only person who wasn't worried about crossing the expanse of hot yellow sand. I also seemed to be the only person who could get across the place in less than a day.

I stretched, then jumped onto the ground. A few random little kids were passing out food, and I took some. It was wet bread and salted meat, but I ate it all down in twenty seconds. I noticed that everyone else was eating theirs slowly and saving some for later in bags and pockets. Dang it; why didn't I think of that? But the food was all gone now, and that was that. I shrugged.

“Dusk!” someone called. I turned and saw Murtagh running towards me. “Brom wants you to tell the Varden we're coming.”

“'Kay, on it,” I said.

“How are you going to get to them before us?” Murtagh asked. His face was red, probably from sunburn.

I gathered myself to jump. “Watch and learn, kiddie. I'll be back in two days at most.” I launched myself into the air. Murtagh gasped behind me, and I heard some people yell and scream and do all that other stuff non-flying humans do when they see a flying human. I ignored them and winged my way towards the not-so-distant mountains.
Quote :

Last edited by Wazza on Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Lone Wolf

PostSubject: Re: Wings, Amnesia, and All That Other Fun Stuff   Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:24 pm

This be interesting, Although I do have one complaint, but it is more personal than anything else.

It seems that you are reading from a Diary when you read this... Maybe because it is first person, but it makes reading it kinda weird.

Or it may be that I prefer to read in the Third person... Oh well, take no notice... you are doing exceptionally well at this.

Wazza
Fighter
Fighter

PostSubject: Re: Wings, Amnesia, and All That Other Fun Stuff   Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:32 pm

Orion Pax wrote:
This be interesting, Although I do have one complaint, but it is more personal than anything else.

It seems that you are reading from a Diary when you read this... Maybe because it is first person, but it makes reading it kinda weird.

Or it may be that I prefer to read in the Third person... Oh well, take no notice... you are doing exceptionally well at this.
Does seem like that, doesn't it? Probably just because of first person, and the fact that I like switching tenses.
---
I've already crossed this part of the desert twice, so I knew the lay of the land pretty well. I really regretted not saving that food for later, because I was starving almost from the second I started flying. I guess it comes from having six limbs, two of which are absolutely humongous. So I just glided down to some random cactus with a bunch of fruit growing from the top.

Cactus fruit is really, really good. It's got a thick red skin with these icky yellow-brownish circles on it, which isn't edible. The good stuff is inside. There's this sort of gritty dark red-violet flesh with a bunch of darker seeds in it. The seeds are perfectly round and hard, but I just swallow them whole and I'm fine. The problem is how much the juice stains. My hands looked like they had been splattered in blood when I took off again, but hey, it was worth it.

The good thing about being able to fly from Furnost to Farthen Dur was that I didn't even need to take the long route into the valley and then go through all of those stupid tunnels. All I had to do was just find the places where the mountains were short and cut through them. It took me a few hours to get through the mountains, since all these random hungry creatures kept attacking me, and since I kept on needing to stop for wild veggies and water, but I got through okay. Another good food on the go: clovers. They taste really good as long as you don't pick the bitter ones with the deer pee on it.

I got into the valley a little after noon and followed the Beartooth River into the heart of the mountain range. I had stayed in Farthen Dur long enough to know where its approximate location was, and I headed towards where I figured the mountain was.

It was evening when I heard a loud roar off to my left. I turned and hovered. Flying towards me was Saphira.

Where have you been?!
She screeched. The dragoness' blue eyes were blazing.

“Err, haha, yeah,” I said. “About that, see--”

Spit it out!
Saphira roared.

“Eragon's over there,” I told her flatly, pointing in the general direction of the desert.

Her anger and anxiety turned to confusion. What?

“He's over in the desert somewhere,” I said. “Shouldn't be too hard to find, considering he's brought three hundred people with him.”

Explain, now, she growled.

“Oh, he'll explain,” I said vaguely. It's so fun to leave people hanging. “By the way,” I said, “was Ajihad mad I left?”

Yes. He sent out search parties to look for you. He was afraid you had gone to Galbatorix.

“Gandrayda? Nah, I was looking for Eragon. Apparently, the Varden's contacts and the people they sent out to find him have trouble recognizing four shady male humans, one a really old guy and the other three boys around sixteen, followed by the whole village of Carve-a-Hall.”

Where is he?
Saphira asked urgently.

“On the path to Furnost,” I answered “You can go off now, I'll catch up once the Varden know they're coming.”

Saphira grunted and winged her way west. Farthen Dur is the mountain to the left. Be careful with the dwarves and Varden as well. They are...not pleased by your disappearance.

“Oh joy,” I muttered. I turned left and headed for Farthen Dur's peak, where the dragonhold and the easy way in was located.

“Oh, great,” I said when I landed on the top of one of the rock walls of the dragonhold. See, the dragonhold was basically this really big room with really thick walls with a bunch of random holes in it and no ceiling, so landing on top of one of the really big walls wasn't too hard and provided a lot of cover. Not that I needed to hide, since most people never look up anyways, but better safe than sorry.

The floor of the dragonhold had around ten people standing around on it, a mixture of humans and dwarves, but all the dwarves hung out near the stairs, as if they couldn't wait to race back down to Tronjheim, the marble city way down in Farthen Dur.

I figured it would be a pretty bad idea to go down right then, especially if what Saphira had told me about the Varden and dwarves suspecting me of being a spy was true. I really hoped Arya was in Tronjheim right then, since she still owed me for saving her life.

“Why do I not have a piece of paper when I need it?” I muttered, looking around me. As if on cue, a small piece of paper and a feather dipped in ink drifted in front of me. My mouth dropped open. “Never mind that, I do have a piece of paper when I need it.”

I scribbled out a note on the convenient piece of paper using my convenient quill that just so happened to be conveniently dipped in convenient ink.

Cavahal com wid rider 0pen gats 4 dem
ps
u suk ajihad

I thought for a moment, then crossed out the postscript so that it was still readable but obvious that someone had tried to get rid of it. I wrapped the paper around around a small stone and dropped it into the dragonhold.

Everybody in the dragonhold noticed the note and ran over to it. My message had gotten through, so I shrugged and took off.

The journey back to Eragon and all his little buddies was much quicker than the journey to the mountains, since Carve-a-Hall had already covered quite a bit of ground during the day and a half I was gone. They'd already gone about a quarter of the distance they had to cover.

The expected screams came from below me as I flew over them. Saphira was flying around near the rear of the crowd with Eragon on her back. I went over to them.

“Right, so the Varden know you're coming,” I said.

How did they react when you went back?
asked Saphira curiously.

“Oh, I just dumped a note into the dragonhold,” I told her. “Also, I'm not going back to them with you guys.”

“What?” asked Eragon. “Why?”

“I kinda insulted Ajihad in my note, so yeah. Tell Brom and Murtagh and Roran and all those other big leaders down there later, 'kay? Also, don't tell Ajihad who wrote the note.”

“You're leaving now?” Eragon said anxiously. “And who's Ajihad?”

I rolled my eyes. “Are those two questions related? But yeah, I'm leaving now. See ya!”

With that, I ran. Actually, I flew. Gah, whatever, I did something. But I ran. No wait-- Never mind.

Because, for some reason that I didn't know, I needed to get to Uru'baen.

Last edited by Wazza on Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Lone Wolf

PostSubject: Re: Wings, Amnesia, and All That Other Fun Stuff   Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:49 pm

I like the U Suk Ajihad.... Laughing

Awesomeness...!

Anyways, Great update, although I doubt she would have had ink and paper....

Wazza
Fighter
Fighter

PostSubject: Re: Wings, Amnesia, and All That Other Fun Stuff   Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:01 pm

Orion Pax wrote:
I like the U Suk Ajihad.... Laughing

Awesomeness...!

Anyways, Great update, although I doubt she would have had ink and paper....
The IC is a very cliche series, Alagaesia is a very cliche place, and all of the good guys are very cliche Mary Sues/Gary Stus. Therefore, ink and paper will always be drifting around the moment the main character needs it. Clicheness is wonderful sometimes.
Back to top Go down
Lone Wolf

PostSubject: Re: Wings, Amnesia, and All That Other Fun Stuff   Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:32 pm

Yea I know it is a Cliche Series, but what I am getting at, is the main character is more likely to be beside a desk or something, than flying and suddenly it is there... thats was what I was getting at more than the Clicheness of it...

Wazza
Fighter
Fighter

PostSubject: Re: Wings, Amnesia, and All That Other Fun Stuff   Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:57 pm

Lone Wolf wrote:
Yea I know it is a Cliche Series, but what I am getting at, is the main character is more likely to be beside a desk or something, than flying and suddenly it is there... thats was what I was getting at more than the Clicheness of it...
Meh, whatever.

Some of the Ancient Language words here are actually words from Old Norse that I added or got rid of a few letters from, since I couldn't find them in any AL dictionary.
---
I decided then, on the way to Furnost, that I was either crazy or insane, or possibly both. The Ra'zac and the Lethrblaka were probably still in town. Last time the Lethrblaka had underestimated me; if we met again, I didn't stand a chance. But I needed supplies, and the only place nearby was Furnost. Or I could go the long way around, from Petrovya to Cithri to Melian to Dras-Leona(turned out it wasn't Drat, Lona! after all) and then to Uru'baen, but I was in a hurry.

Then there was Uru'baen itself. It was the Empire's capital, the place where Gabriel(or was it Galbatorix? I could never remember) and his black dragon, Shruikan, lived. I was guessing that, since they had managed to take over Alagaesia with nothing but their twenty-six minions, all of which were now dead, that they were pretty strong. But the summons came from there, and I would go with the flow, throwing myself onto the doorstep of the two most powerful beings in the land in the process. Ah, the joy of getting myself killed.

I dropped into Tudosten and walked out on the shore. Everybody had already packed up and scrambled back to their houses by then, so no-one saw some random Goth girl drag herself out of a really big lake in the evening.

Going to either the Fluffy Rock, the Black Dragon, or the Quacking Moose would be just plain stupid, since I'd been there before. I found a quiet little inn called the Silent Breeze(finally, a name that makes sense) at the north end of town.

After spending a few coins I'd “borrowed” from the Varden a few days back, I got a good night's rest and decent food. I bought a pack in the morning, stuffed a new black hooded cloak into it, and filled it with food, then slid it over my back in a way that wouldn't mess up my wings.Then I headed for Uru'baen.

I saw Uru'baen from two miles away, and I was forced to find the road and walk. The city was humongous. It was in a grid formation,with each building perfectly spaced from the others. A great black castle rose from a motte in the center, looming over its neighbors like a storm cloud. Other, smaller citadels were scattered all over. A large wall, forty feet thick and a hundred and fifty feet high, encircled the ominous city, with archers prowling along all sides of it and machicolations lining it. A moat surrounded the wall. Even the farms were in the protection of the city's wall. When I asked someone, he told me the city got its water from wells and springs inside(not the moat), and all the water sources were checked every two hours for poison. In short, the place made Teirm look like a dollhouse.

I put on the black cloak and pulled on the hood. Normally, putting on acloak in the middle of a warm spring day would arouse suspicion, but with all the weird types on the path, I didn't stand out at all. I mean, what's a girl with a hood and a cloak compared to a man with a huge axe and a mechanical arm?

I arrived at the only gate a half hour later. It was an arch, about seventy feet high, with a big black iron portcullis above it and about a billion murder holes above it and a barbican that made it harder to get in. Six soldiers stood at attention along the neck of the barbican, and two men in long purple robes with large daggers put into their identical gleaming golden belts stood guard by the entrance.

The guards let everybody pass by without questions or any of the things they did back at Teirm. I soon knew why. The men with purple robes seemed to be magicians; I could feel them probing at my mental wall. When neither of them could get past my barriers, they began a full-out assault. I gritted my teeth in concentration. I could easily handle just one of them, but the two of them together were quite strong.

When I had nearly gotten past the entrance, one of them shouted, “Halt! You, the one in the black cloak, stay where you are.”

As if. I did the natural thing: I ran. Then the other magician yelled,“Letta!” My body froze in place. I growled and tried to move my legs,but they wouldn't respond. Stupid magicians, why did Galby have to be so paranoid?

I turned my head and saw four soldiers and one magician walking towards me. “I'm doomed,” I muttered.

Then somebody from the city called out in a musical voice that was kind of like Arya's, but smoother, “Taka sharjalví! Hlaupa, kona! Ach ono lysta eom deyja?”

I don't know what whoever it was said, but my body started listening to me again and I ran for where the voice had come from, which was behind ahouse right next to the wall.

“Kosha, barna,” the person cried. I found him perched on a crate behindthe house. His face was feminine and feline, but it was obvious he was a boy. He had short blonde hair and flashy green eyes, and his body
was thin and graceful. His pointed ears told me he was an elf.

The elf didn't waste any time on pleasantries. He grabbed my hand and pulled me behind him at an inhuman speed. The pursuing soldiers soon got left way behind us as the elf led me through the city, jumping over things that were too high to be jumped over and cutting through the thick crowd with ease.

Ten minutes later, we were on the southern side of the city, opposite the gate. I was panting from our run, since my legs weren't used to running anymore, but the elf stood silent and erect, his breathing normal and his face like a statue's.

Once I had recovered, I followed the elf into a small stone house that looked like just like all the others on the street. Even the inside of it was common and ordinary. A small stove stood in one corner with a pot on top, a table with two teacups and two chairs were in the center of the house, and a bed was by the door, which the elf quickly closed behind us. The only thing out of the ordinary was a black cloak like mine sprawled on the bed.

The elf waved a hand absentmindedly at the pot on the stove and said, “Laufsbläd-adurna brisingr. Reisa.” The pot, which was now filled with boiling tea, lifted into the air and poured the tea into the two cups on the table before setting itself back onto the stove. The elf sat down at one of the chairs and gestured for me to do the same. I sat.

“So, human, what did you do to provoke the guards?” the elf asked. He took a sip of the tea and frowned.

“I shielded my mind,” I said. I didn't bother asking why an elf was in Uru'baen. If he didn't tell me, I wouldn't ask.

“Ah,” the elf said. “You are against the Empire?”

“Yeah,” I said. I tried the tea and almost gagged. The guy may be an elf, but he made horrible tea.

“What are you called?” he asked.

“Dusk,” I said. “You?”

The elf hesitated, then replied, “You may call me Frjals.”

“Can I call you Fritos?” I asked. “It's way easier to pronounce.”

A smile tugged at the elf's lips. “Very well, Dusk. If I may ask, what brings you here to Uru'baen?”

“Yeah, you may ask, seeing as you already did. As to why I came here, I haven't got the slightest clue. Something called me here, so I came.”

“Something...called you?” Fritos asked curiously. He pieced the words together carefully, like English was his second language.

“Mm hmm,” I answered. I would have given him some sarcastic reply, but he had just saved my life, so I decided to be nice to him. For now, anyways. “So, why did you decide to help me back there?”

“An enemy of the Empire is a friend of mine.” said Fritos. “Would you be so kind as to shed your cloak so I may see who it is that I saved?”

Gah, I hate old-fashioned talk, but I took off my cloak like he had asked and stuffed it into my pack. Like everybody else, he didn't notice the wings.

“Your clothes, they are lamarae,” said the elf. “Elf-made, correct?”

“Yup. By the way, Galby will know you're here now if he didn't already,” I told Fritos.

“Galby?” questioned Fritos.

“Gabriel, Genesis, whatever that guy in the castle's name is.”

“Galbatorix,” Fritos sighed. “Yes, he will, and that is most...unfortunate. But it cannot be helped. He would have known soon even if I hadn't shown myself.”

“Thanks for the help,” I told him, standing up. “But I have to leave now.”

“May I come with you?” he asked.

“Sure, why not? That's two people that Galby wants to catch, one of which is a conspicuous pointy-eared elf and the other one's got wings. What's not to like?” I said, shrugging.

“Wings?” Fritos said, raising an eyebrow. I extended my right one to show him what I meant. The elf's eyes widened. “You are a...curious human. You wear lamarae and have wings skulblaka. Tell me, have you been to Ellesmera?”

“Where?” I asked him, folding my wing.

The elf scrutinized me. “Let us have lunch first,” Fritos said finally. "Then we can leave.”
---
To translate the words that can't be found in any AL dictionary, "barn" is child in Old Norse, I just added an "a" to the end. "Frjáls" means free in Old Norse. "Lysta" means wish, "koma" is come, both of which are in Old Norse.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wings, Amnesia, and All That Other Fun Stuff   

Back to top Go down

Wings, Amnesia, and All That Other Fun Stuff

View previous topic View next topic Back to top