Battle Zone
We think you should log in. Don't you?

This is the site for everything and anything you want to talk about. Want to discuss the latest games? Done. Want to have fun? Done. This is THE place to have a great time.

HomePortalFAQMemberlistRegisterLog in

Share | 

Omigosh!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Striking Cobra
Royal Knight
Royal Knight

PostSubject: Omigosh!   Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:42 pm

Quote :

Posted: 01/19/2011

• By SHAWN POGATCHNIK Associated Press

DUBLIN - A 1997 letter from the Vatican warned Ireland's Catholic bishops not to report all suspected child-abuse cases to police - a disclosure that victims' groups described as "the smoking gun" needed to show that the church enforced a worldwide culture of covering up crimes by pedophile priests.
The newly revealed letter, obtained by Irish broadcasters RTE and provided to The Associated Press, documents the Vatican's rejection of a 1996 Irish church initiative to begin helping police identify pedophile priests following Ireland's first wave of publicly disclosed lawsuits.
The letter undermines persistent Vatican claims, particularly when seeking to defend itself in U.S. lawsuits, that Rome never instructed local bishops to withhold evidence or suspicion of crimes from police. It instead emphasizes the church's right to handle all child-abuse allegations and determine punishments in house rather than give that power to civil authorities.
The Vatican early Wednesday insisted that its response to the Irish bishops was designed to ensure that guilty priests not avoid punishment and that all possible canonical crimes were also dealt with.
The Rev. Federico Lombardi noted that often, pedophile priests solicited sex during confession - a particularly heinous church crime which, because it occurred within the seal of confessional, is dealt with under strict secrecy within church law and with its own particular norms.
"This circumstance brings about serious problems of a moral and canonical nature that require extreme prudence with the question of mandatory reporting," Lombardi said in a statement.
The 1997 letter, signed by the late Archbishop Luciano Storero, Pope John Paul II's diplomat to Ireland, instructs Irish bishops that their new policy of making the reporting of suspected crimes mandatory "gives rise to serious reservations of both a moral and canonical nature."
Storero wrote that canon law, which required abuse allegations and punishments to be handled within the church, "must be meticulously followed." Any bishops who tried to impose punishments outside the confines of canon law would face the "highly embarrassing" position of having their actions overturned on appeal in Rome, he wrote.
Catholic officials in Ireland and the Vatican declined AP requests to comment on the letter, which RTE said it received from an Irish bishop.
Child-abuse activists in Ireland said the 1997 letter demonstrates that the protection of pedophile priests from criminal investigation was not only sanctioned by Vatican leaders but also ordered by them.
"The letter is of huge international significance, because it shows that the Vatican's intention is to prevent reporting of abuse to criminal authorities. And if that instruction applied here, it applied everywhere," said Colm O'Gorman, director of the Irish chapter of human rights watchdog Amnesty International.
Joelle Casteix, a director of the U.S. advocacy group Survivors Network of Those Abused by Priests, described the letter as "the smoking gun we've been looking for."
Casteix said it was certain to be cited by victims' lawyers seeking to pin responsibility directly on the Vatican rather than local dioceses. She said investigators long have sought such a document showing Vatican pressure on a group of bishops "thwarting any kind of justice for victims."
"We now have evidence that the Vatican deliberately intervened to order bishops not to turn pedophile priests over to law enforcement," she said. "And for civil lawsuits, this letter shows what victims have been saying for dozens and dozens of years: What happened to them involved a concerted cover-up that went all the way to the top."
The Vatican's U.S. lawyer, Jeffrey Lena, said the letter did no such thing.
"The letter nowhere instructed Irish bishops to disregard civil law reporting requirements," he said in a statement early Wednesday.
To this day, the Vatican has not endorsed any of the Irish church's three major policy documents since 1996 on safeguarding children from clerical abuse. Irish taxpayers, rather than the church, have paid most of the euro1.5 billion ($2 billion) to more than 14,000 abuse claimants dating back to the 1940s.
In his 2010 pastoral letter to Ireland's Catholics condemning pedophiles in the ranks, Pope Benedict XVI faulted bishops for failing to follow canon law and offered no explicit endorsement of Irish child-protection efforts by the Irish church or state. Benedict was widely criticized in Ireland for failing to admit any Vatican role in covering up the truth.
O'Gorman - who was raped repeatedly by an Irish priest in the 1980s when he was an altar boy and was among the first victims to speak out in the mid-1990s - said evidence is growing that some Irish bishops continued to follow the 1997 Vatican instructions and withheld reports of crimes against children as recently as 2008.
Two state-commissioned investigative reports published in 2009 - into the Dublin Archdiocese and workhouse-style

I really don't know what to think....I thought priests were supposed to be all good and stuff, right? *shudders*
Back to top Go down
Mozzie
OHNOES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostSubject: Re: Omigosh!   Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:38 pm

Err.... I've heard stories like that but until now, I don't know what to say. Eh, I think there are really bad ones and good ones. I don't see 'all' priests as bad asses.
Back to top Go down
http://www.wkyc.com/weather/severe_weather/cancellations_closing
Old Amsterdam
Bow Before Thy Master
Bow Before Thy Master

PostSubject: Re: Omigosh!   Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:17 am

Somehow, I'm not too surprised to read that.

But like Janelle said, it's good and bad. It's all just...random chance.

Back to top Go down
http://battlezone.forumotion.net/
Urmudda0007
Royal Knight
Royal Knight

PostSubject: Re: Omigosh!   Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:38 pm

Ah yes. They say Ireland has always been a predominantly Catholic country, but Catholicism was going downhill before this ever came out, and this is the hardest blow it has taken by far.
And rightly so, I think. Of course, the vast majority of priests are good people, and saying that priests in general are paedophiles is like saying that Muslims are all terrorists, it's a horrible stereotype caused by an extreme minority. But the crimes are so heinous that priests, who should be leading by example in a moral sense, can no longer be trusted. It's hard to hold on to one's faith when the person who guides you in it is a potential sexual predator. It's quite sad really.

Did anybody else hear that the Pope said that the abused people should pray for forgiveness? What the hell? (Was that mentioned in the article? I only read the start because I've already heard most of the story.)
Back to top Go down
Old Amsterdam
Bow Before Thy Master
Bow Before Thy Master

PostSubject: Re: Omigosh!   Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:06 am

Mmm...I've heard that, but I don't know that it was in the article, tbh. And everything you said is kinda what I'd been thinking.

Basically, this is why I'm glad I keep an open mind when it comes to Religion.

Back to top Go down
Assassino
*POOF* Err....Jack Has Gone on Vacation...Permanently.

PostSubject: Re: Omigosh!   Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:25 am

Well, lets look at it this way. Catholic priests are a men only community. Sworn never to marry or to have sex. This promise of celebacy surely must be hard to keep at times and surely it tempts some of these priests to take advantage of the children. After all, they are rather easy to exploit, and if you're found out then the church will protect you.

These and more reasons surely lead to these cases time and time again comming up in the Church.

Bow Before Thy Master

PostSubject: Re: Omigosh!   Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:11 am

Yep. If you can never be punished, and you can never 'get some', it's very reasonable (to those people) to take advantage of the people who don't know any better.

Truthfully, though, a lot of priests could probably get some of their female members to do just about anything. Tell them they'll go to hell if they don't spread their legs for you, some of them will totally believe it. It's ridiculous.

Back to top Go down
Mozzie
OHNOES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostSubject: Re: Omigosh!   Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:23 am

When I read things like this one, it makes it harder for me what to believe, in all honesty. I mean, I agree with Urmudda, priest should be the one leading you 'to the right path' as most would say, but if that wasn't the case, then I'd be sooo surprised (not) if people in the next generation would be worse...if you get what I mean?

I just don't get why some priests do that utter foolishness. Reason I only believe 'some' things about catholicism, if not most, 'cause some of them, in my mind, are just against me...
Back to top Go down
http://www.wkyc.com/weather/severe_weather/cancellations_closing
Assassino
*POOF* Err....Jack Has Gone on Vacation...Permanently.

PostSubject: Re: Omigosh!   Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:53 am

Thing is Rain. In the Catholic church females and males are kept strictly apart. Women can't even become priest in the Catholic church. Children and priest aren't. Also, there is a much larger risk for the priest if he "Has it" with an adult then a child. Children are easier to manipulate.

Bow Before Thy Master

PostSubject: Re: Omigosh!   Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:55 am

I know that, but what I'm saying is that some women would never say anything or anything, if they seriously believe they would go to hell if they did. Some people are really gullible and stuff, and would believe anything.

But I know what your saying, children are easier to do that stuff to / with. They don't have the experience yet.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Omigosh!   

Back to top Go down

Omigosh!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Battle Zone :: Extra! Extra! :: News-
Jump to: